Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   dealer oil change and rotation fiasco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/414395-dealer-oil-change-and-rotation-fiasco.html)

Delawhere? 09-25-2005 05:18 PM

dealer oil change and rotation fiasco

I went to the dealer in Wy. to get my oil changed while on a cross USA trip with my RV. Dealer put in 10w-30 oil when diesel supplement states that when temps are over 50 F, or towing a RV, the oil should be 15w-40. The temp at the time by the way was about 94 deg.'s. I had the oil changed immediately to the proper 15w-40 after I saw it on the invoice. While it was there I figured I would get the tires rotated and balanced since it had 6200 miles on the truck. Whoever did the rotate and balance scratched 3 of the 4 aluminum Lariat wheels. Needless to say I was sick and I must say that it has been several months since the event happened but Monday I am getting the new wheels put on. When you think the dealer is going to give you the best service for your vehicle, I'm a bit gun shy about going back to any dealer at the moment for service.

150ford 09-25-2005 05:37 PM

A lot off times these 6.0s will run much better on 10w-30 then 15w-40. I tried 15-40 once in my 7.3 PSD an the thing did not run right went back to 10-30. Quirky but true. The oil was the right specs to. Been 10-30 ever since. It must have been a shock to you to find out you had 10-30 instead off 15w-40. No excuse the dealer should have told you. These rims on these trucks are a bear to remove the aluminum sticks to that iron. I tried it myself an drove myself crazy.

barnbridge 09-25-2005 06:57 PM

When I remove my wheels to rotate them I brush a little Never Seize on the inside of the rim to keep them sticking to the steel hubs. Works well.
:-X06

RoyC 09-25-2005 08:43 PM

At 6200 miles I do not know if it was your first oil change or not, but your truck came from the factory with 10W30 in it.

JFYI.

RoyC

Delawhere? 09-27-2005 09:57 AM

That seems odd that it would have come with 10w-30 when the diesel supplement states that anything over 50 degrees F. should have 15w-40.
Is this a break in oil? I did change the oil myself with Ford motorcraft oil at 1260 miles only because it had been six months or better since I bought it. So to keep it under warranty rules I changed it. Then on our trip to the west coast I had it changed after 5000 miles under heavy towing through the mountains I felt this would be a good time. The dealer was a small dealer and who would have guessed that it would have created such a problem, with the oil and the scratched wheels. Which by the way were replaced yesterday at my local Ford dealer. So all is well again! :-X22

sgthawkusmc 09-27-2005 10:34 AM

It's not a "break in oil." It's 10w30. That's what they put in the truck during the initial "break in" period.

Mud Doc 09-27-2005 08:12 PM

That wasn't in Evanston, WY, was it?

dana_wildcat 09-27-2005 09:52 PM

is there a ford dealer in evanston? I didnt think there was.

Delawhere? 09-28-2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mud Doc
That wasn't in Evanston, WY, was it?

No it wasn't Evanston, but it was in Cheyenne, at a small dealership there that this unfortunate situation happened. My wife and I spent 10 great days in Cheyenne during Frontier days and we had a lot of fun there. We saw some great rodeo action and concerts by Toby Keith and Tim McGraw, so when I got my truck serviced you can imagine what a downer it was to the end of our stay in Cheyenne. But as I mentioned before the scratched wheels have been replaced and all is well again. :-D

Mud Doc 09-28-2005 08:04 PM

dana_wildcat

Welling Ford in Evanston, WY. Its been there since Henry was a baby--and their service bay hasn't changed a bit since it was new.