Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   rough idle when starting.. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/412761-rough-idle-when-starting.html)

MentalState 09-19-2005 10:16 PM

rough idle when starting..

I have a 2001 F350 dually with 35000 miles..lately when I start truck after it sits the night..the engine idles up and down untill it starts idling fine..Takes 5-10 seconds seems like forever though..rough rough rough rough rough rough smoooooooooooth...Its not cold at night..But If I do plug it in she starts fine every morning..Glow plugs ?Fuel filter?....

Any comments would be great...

big inch 09-19-2005 11:40 PM

Mostly what I have seen cause a cold idle romp is the oil, either from extended drain intervals or low-quality oil.

If you know the oil is fresh and of good quality, you might want to have it checked out. Depending on your in service date, it may still be covered under the 100k-mile warranty.

MentalState 09-19-2005 11:57 PM

oil was just changed...

AustinS 09-20-2005 01:06 AM

[QUOTE=MentalState]I have a 2001 F350 dually with 35000 miles..lately when I start truck after it sits the night..the engine idles up and down untill it starts idling fine..Takes 5-10 seconds seems like forever though..rough rough rough rough rough rough smoooooooooooth...Its not cold at night..But If I do plug it in she starts fine every morning..Glow plugs ?Fuel filter?....

This is the Ford broadcast message about the engine lope:

94-03 7.3 Idle Lope on Cold Start:
Ford has determined that the engine loping on a cold start is a characteristic of the engine. They are recommending to use a lower viscosity oil--10W-30 meeting API service CH-4 or CI4--to reduce the condition. They also suggest plugging in the block heater when outside temperatures are below 30 degrees and/or waiting up to two minutes with the key on before starting the engine to allow the glow plugs to fully heat the cylinders. Broadcast Message 1050.

I find when I let the glowplugs cycle for 1-2 minutes, it helps a lot. The 7.3L is a lot of cast iron to heat up. If I forgot to plug her in and she was parked outside overnight even when it only gets down in the 40s, if I don't wait a couple of minutes to turn her over she'll lope pretty bad. I work the hell out of her, so I always run 15W40.
You could also have a glow plug or glow plug relay issue. Try the 2 min. wait and then you'll have a better idea.

Good luck<

Austin

Technitom 09-20-2005 02:14 AM

when I cycle the key to on position, If you turn the radio off and listen, you can hear a hum or buzz that will end with a click (45 sec). if you wait for the click before starting, the romping isnt bad, it does it a couple times and smoothes out. Some guys say its the glow plug relay cycling off when you hear the click, others say its the fuel pump charging the lines back up after sitting a few hours. I dunno, I duncare, it works for me.

MentalState 09-20-2005 07:39 PM

Thanks for info guys...Its just wierd cause it can be 70 out and she does it..But not consistently....

Thanks again..

tattuuuz 03-24-2013 04:18 PM

i need help i bought this 1995 dually to pull loads to make money for my family and it idles rough after it warms up for a few mins. and the check engine light comes on

nlemerise 03-24-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tattuuuz (Post 12986599)
i need help i bought this 1995 dually to pull loads to make money for my family and it idles rough after it warms up for a few mins. and the check engine light comes on

You need to post this here...I think.

Brian Donoghue 04-10-2014 10:32 AM

Now I'm having the same problem but mine revs up to 1200 rpms then go to normal rpm speed. This happens till I rev the engine to 1500+ rpm then it goes away. Any suggestions on what it is?

HKusp 04-10-2014 11:34 AM

When it does this, is it first thing in the morning and the truck has not been driven for at least 8 hours?