Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   2001 Ranger Air Bag Code 29 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/412079-2001-ranger-air-bag-code-29-a.html)

REPORANGER 09-17-2005 01:51 PM

2001 Ranger Air Bag Code 29

Anyone have any idea what airbag code 29 on a 2001 ranger means? I have not seen that number on any code lists. I triple checked the code and it is 29.

Thanks, Reporanger

Dave257 09-17-2005 03:45 PM

I don't have that code listed in any of my ford books. ?? It may be an undocumented code, can you give a little history on the truck? Does the A/B light stay on after it counts and how many times does it flash the code.
Dave

Rockledge 09-17-2005 07:37 PM

Airbag Code 29 - Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code

Welcome to FTE! I could only find an Airbag Code 29 in the ‘00 Manual:

Code 29 = “Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code”

“The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the voltage at pins 10, 13 and 14 to determine if it is installed on the correct vehicle. If the RCM detects an incorrect voltage on any of these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1414 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 29 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

An incorrect vehicle identification 29/C1414 code could be caused by:

- an RCM installed on the wrong vehicle.
- an incorrectly programmed RCM.
- vehicle ID pins not connected as expected.

The RCM is located behind the center of the dash. You'll have to remove the beverage/utility tray (if so equipped) to get at it.

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

REPORANGER 09-17-2005 09:46 PM

Rockledge, Thanks for the deciphering the code. And Dave257 thanks for the response.

When I purchased my Ranger I didn't know the driver's bag was blown. The kid who had it…covered the blown airbag with tweed. I replaced the bag with another from a 2001 ranger only to find that the RCM was missing as well as the airbag switch and the light in the gauge cluster. I replaced all components with used parts. The RCM was out of a 2000 ranger that had not been in an accident. It seemed to matched the original in all aspects. All I had to do was plug it in. Do you think I need another RCM from a 2001 or can the RCM I have be cleared? Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rockledge 09-18-2005 09:08 AM

You can try the pinpoint tests for Code 29 to the extent you are able and see what happens. Otherwise, it sounds like it might be something to talk to the dealer about, to try and at least find out what it takes to ensure RCM "compatibility":

PINPOINT TEST E: AIR BAG LAMP FAUT CODE 29/DTC C1414 — INCORRECT VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION CODE

E1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

- Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs
- Was DTC C1414 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test. GO to E2 .
No
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to E4 .

E2 CHECK THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PINS NO. 2 AND NO. 3

NOTE: For this vehicle application, RCM pins 13 and 14 should be open circuited.

- Make sure the RCM pin 13 and pin 14 connector slots are empty and no connection is made when connected to the RCM.
- Are the RCM pin 13 and pin 14 connector slots empty?
Yes
GO to E3 .
No
REPAIR any concern found at the RCM pin 13 and pin 14 connector slots. GO to E3 .

E3 CHECK THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PIN NO. 1

NOTE: For this vehicle application, RCM pin 10, circuit 57 (BK) should be connected to ground.

- Measure the resistance between RCM pin 10, circuit 57 (BK), harness side and RCM pin 21, circuit 649 (BK/OG), harness side.
- Is the resistance greater than 100 ohms?
Yes
REPAIR the circuit. GO to E5 .
No
GO to E4 .

E4 CHECK THE RCM PROGRAMMED VEHICLE ID

- PID/Data Monitor and Record
- Select PID VID#1, VID#2, VID#3.
- Was vehicle ID #1 Ground, vehicle ID #2 No Connect and vehicle ID #3 No Connect?
Yes
GO to E5 .
No
INSTALL a new RCM. GO to E6 .

E5 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT

- Was the continuous DTC retrieved during Step E1 an intermittent fault or were you directed to this step from Step E3?
Yes
CHECK for causes of an intermittent open on circuit 57 (BK). Attempt to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to E6 .
No
GO to E6 .

E6 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs

WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

- Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step E1?
Yes
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table in this section for pinpoint test direction.
No
RECONNECT the system. PROVE OUT the system. CLEAR all DTCs.

Dave257 09-18-2005 11:50 AM

Since that code dosen't seem to be used in the 01 rangers I suspect you have a different "box" then you need. Since it was in a wreck I would do the pinpoint tests as suggested by Rockledge.
Dave

DLeach4512 05-14-2012 06:55 PM

'02 Ranger Code 29 help?

So i've read through the thread here, but I don't think i'm seeing anything useful.
I've got an '02 4.0 4x4 4D Ranger that's never had the airbags deployed, and never had the RCM replaced, or AFAIK, touched. I'm the second owner, and the first one only did routine/needed maintenance, with records.
I've had some battery issues lately (the DLG started to die; sometimes it would hold a charge, sometimes it wouldn't), and two days ago my AB light came on. I learned here that it flashes a code, so I paid attention and got code 29.
I checked the connections under both seats, and at the key-turn for the PSAB, and I don't see anything wrong/broken/unusual/disconnected.

Any ideas of what to try next?

emsmarkv 08-05-2012 11:01 AM

Air bag code 29 on 2002 ford ranger

Ok so here is what I experienced:

Disconected the battery for some routine repairs, did a r&r fuel pump and u-joints, cleaned battery posts. Went for a test drive: had no speedo or interior lights and air bag flashed code 29 (oh, crap). The next day also found no wipers (Could be an RCM, GEM or BCM... OH CRAP!!). Could not see a blown fuse but tested them with a light and found a 10 amp position 26 fuse blown. Put in a new one and on the road again! There are as many as 10 or 12 different fuses, relays or diodes to check related to this issue; start with the easy one in the interior fuse panel. Great times!

Since Fords run together, if you have a 2xxx(could start with prior years also) Tuarus and are doing the inner tierod ends get the Lisle 45750 Tool. Few other things will fit the Ford original tierod.

Fordzilla80 03-29-2016 02:03 PM

Had the same issue as the above poster on my 2003 Ranger. No dome light, no speedometer or odometer, and airbag flashing code 29. Didn't check the wipers. Pulled the position 26 (10 amp) fuse and sure enough, it was blown. Replaced it and immediately heard the battery saver relay click and that fixed all three issues.

colemanfuel 08-15-2016 07:56 PM

99 Ranger Sport (Automatic) code 29

I had the code 29 issue with my 99 Ranger 3.0L automatic. Found the RCM under the console/cup holder. To clear the code, all I had to do was unplug the RCM a few seconds, then plug it back in. Easy as pie!:-drink

Josh25614 09-18-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 16164201)
Had the same issue as the above poster on my 2003 Ranger. No dome light, no speedometer or odometer, and airbag flashing code 29. Didn't check the wipers. Pulled the position 26 (10 amp) fuse and sure enough, it was blown. Replaced it and immediately heard the battery saver relay click and that fixed all three issues.

Had the same issue last night. Fuse 26 (15 amp) but im not too sure if that was the right amp fuse to begin with, was blown. I replaced with the closest spare i had as a temp solution, all i had was a 25 amp. Is that a too high?

pawpaw 09-19-2019 08:28 AM

Welcome to FTE Josh.

Electrical circuits are fused to protect from damage, so it's not a good idea for us to Over fuse, or use the wrong Type fuse, (as in using a slow blow Type with a heat sink that allows for a brief Spike overload, that's for motor containing circuits that have a large current spike when starting, but shouldn't be used for sensitive solid state circuits that don't like current spikes), as if there is still a over current condition, the Over fusing, or wrong Type fuse of a conductor, component, or circuit, not rated to take the 25 amps you've fused for, can cause serious damage to other things in the circuit, or even a fire from overheating.

We don't know what year/model your ride is, so If you'll look on the fuse panel board, cover, or in your owner or repair manual, it'll usually have the correct amp & type fuse or circuit breaker specified, so to be safe we should use only what the circuit designer specified.

If you don't have fuse covers with the info, or a owner manual, one can be down loaded at no cost here. https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsands...owner-manuals/

Some general fuse / circuit breaker thoughts for consideration, hopefully the over current condition had cleared & you haven't fried the circuit by grossly over fusing it, so let us know how it goes.