Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (
-   -   454 stroker (

broncoxlt86 09-16-2005 08:54 PM

454 stroker
i would like to take a stock block and stroke it to 454 which block can i use
i was told that i had to buy a racing block but the book im going by does not match that information from a person at fortes parts connection in burlington, ma

help please!!!

greystreak92 09-16-2005 10:49 PM

351 or 400 maybe? I'm just guessing. Heck, you can swap in a 460 and go up from there if you really want to.

masseysbronco 09-17-2005 12:01 PM

could you do that with a 429?

85e150 09-17-2005 01:01 PM

I have a friend who went from a 400 to a 460. Noticable weight increase, all else (except cooling at times) OK.

What motor do you have now?

Maybe you could improve on it.

Go here for ideas....

460srule 09-18-2005 01:19 PM

I went from a 400 to a 429 in a 76 Ranchero.Never really noticed the weight gain but really noticed the torque gain.And got better mileage than my 75 Ranchero with 351M.I am presently rebuilding the 76.I did the crank and piston swap plus a 30 over bore makes it a 466.Can't wait to fire it up.

broncoxlt86 09-19-2005 11:50 AM

454 stroker
i talked to my friend he said that the bigger the block the more metal i can take off so i may go with the 400m block to 454 stroker thats not really alot of metal. im gonna have trouble finding it though

BroncoRoadKill 09-19-2005 03:48 PM

I have book on building stroker engines and it lists stroker kits for ford smallblocks, and they list a race only kit for a 467cu. 351w block.

broncoxlt86 09-19-2005 04:29 PM

454 stroker
how about i find a bigger block like a 400m and stroke that to 454?

broncoxlt86 09-19-2005 04:31 PM

im currently have a 302 in it but theres no oumf in it (power) or lack of
id like the engine to be bigger let alone that i will be the only one with this fully modified
86 xlt bronco
torque monster!!!

ALSAIR 09-19-2005 06:32 PM

One thing nobody has touched on, is the cost!! You can do whatever you want with MONEY! The only thing that bothers me are the cubic inches of 454 in a FORD, even if it is a FORD motor producing it. Just something sacreligeous about those numbers in a FORD. I built a hefty 351W and spent about 3-Grand on it. We are not talking about heads and all that, just machine work and all the little crap involved like pistons, valves, intake, headers, etc, etc! Good luck with what ever you decide.

greystreak92 09-19-2005 06:49 PM

I would tend to agree with you ALSAIR, 454 is a number far too well known in "other" automotive circles to be boasting about it in your Ford. Too easily misunderstood as some "other" product pushing your Ford around. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of dropping a stroked high performance mill into your truck is a fabulous idea if you can afford to do it.

broncoxlt86 09-26-2005 02:32 PM

yea but im sure theres a 435 or a 426 out there that is made by other companies
i guess ill just stroke it out bigger then 454 then depending on my budget

Bdox 10-29-2005 12:18 AM

I recently read that you can take a 351 out to 427. Which is like big block displacement but saving a huge amount of weight.

brown79 10-29-2005 12:48 AM

put a 428 crank in a 60 over 427

gov2mod 10-29-2005 07:15 AM

Just go all out! Convert it to a 385 series block. Take a 429 or 460 and bore and stroke it to 540" and have the "king" of Broncos. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands