Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Trouble putting Gas in Tank (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/410879-trouble-putting-gas-in-tank.html)

mds01 09-13-2005 08:41 AM

Trouble putting Gas in Tank

When I would fuel up the pump would keep clicking off like she is full, which I know she isnt. and the gas would come back out of the hole and would take awhile to seep back down in. I toke out the smaller filter tube that was in the filler hose, this had a kink in it and I just left it out of the filler hose. But Iam know still having the sam problem even with the smaller tube not in the filler hose, the pump keeps clicking off and the gas will back up out of the hole and Ihave to wait for it to seep back in, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to out 3.5 gasllons in. Can anyone tell me what to look for or have any suggestions, I have not messed with this part of the bronco before. Thanks for any help.

Streetgang 09-13-2005 11:24 AM

The small hose inside the filer hose is the vent, and AFAIK it needs to be in there for the system to work properly. I would try to reinstall the vent tube (now that the kink is out of it) and see what you get.

If that dont work.....you will need to get under the truck and remove the filler hose from the tank, and make 100% sure everything s routed correctly.

Make sure you post back and lat us know how you make out.....and what the final outcome is!

bertha66 09-13-2005 11:44 AM

Had the same problem with my 80 Bronco, Steve is right on want to look for, that is how I had to fix mine.

mds01 09-13-2005 01:35 PM

Vent tube

Can anyone tell me where I could purchase a new vent tube for the filler hose, online? I checked JBG but didnt find anything, same with Ebay.

bertha66 09-13-2005 01:39 PM

You may find one with MAC's or LMC, if not salvage yard.

broncobob 09-13-2005 07:25 PM

Another thing to look at while you're replacing the vent hose is to make sure the filler hose runs slightly downhill towards the tank. I had the same problem for a long time with my old 83, and after replacing the tank (after it rusted out, not because of the slow fill problem) I couldn't get gas in hardly at all. I noticed that the tank end was slightly higher than the filler door end, so I trimmed the tank end off just enough that it was lower than the filler door. Worked great after that, could lock the pump on full and let it run. You do need to be careful when trimming, because the pipe is flared to fit onto the tank and if you cut it too short there won't be enough flare to fit back on, and you'll have a tough time reconnecting it (don't ask how I found this out!).

mds01 09-23-2005 02:23 PM

Still working on it

Im still working on the problem, I toke off the filler neck and checked it, Im still trying to find a replacemnt vent tube. I do alot of work in my drive way and its hard for me to ge up in and see all of the rubber hose, I did visiual check what I could see and it look and felt fine. The other night Itried puttng 4 gallons in with a 5 gallon can and its sill doing the same thing, I pour in gas it comes out of the hole and fills up in the "cup" and I have to wait for it to drain down in, torwards the end of the four gallons it got to a point where it was just sitting in the "cup" and would not go in until I started rocking the bronco. My fuel gauge hasnt worked for a while and I have been filling up with my trip meter. Now Im wondering if I may have a full tank of gas??? There were times were i would be down to a gallon or two and just go ahead and refill it to be safe. Another thihg, when I toke off the filler neck there was some gas just sitting in the hose, Im wondering also if I have what BroncoBob had, not enough of a downward slope in the hose.

BroncoRoadKill 09-23-2005 04:17 PM

Im finishing up my 3" body lift and it pulls the filler hose with plastic housing the cap end of the neck bolt too. It has alot more downslope too the filler neck now. :)

mds01 10-09-2005 09:08 PM

Follow Up

Welll I finally figured out that my problem was that I didnt have enough down slope in my fillerhose, thanks to BroncoBobs advice I was able to correct it. With that being said Im getting ready to drop the tank and replace the fuel sending unit. Im waiting to run some more gas out of the tank before I work on her. Thanks for all your help and advice. :-X22

fordtrucksforever 10-13-2005 12:52 AM

Make sure you check float on that sending unit. Most of the time thats what is the problem. Check resistance to confirm if sending unit is bad or something else electrical.

JasonBrod 10-13-2005 12:58 PM

I have an 86 with the same filling problem... There is no vent tube attached. I recently had to replace tank, there is a vent hole on top of tank, but I have nothing going to it. Is that OK? When I fuel up it splashes back out too; very frustrating. Should there be something going to the vent whole in the tank? Should there be a vent tube on filler neck?

dixiebronco1986 10-13-2005 09:32 PM

i've droped the tank in mine which was hell about 2 or 3 times and realized there wasnt a vent hose on hers either but i havent had many problems filling her except that i lift up on the pump nossle and can almost go full out with it but never have been able to just set it and leave it fill