Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Utah Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum144/)
-   -   think its about time to rebuild (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/410613-think-its-about-time-to-rebuild.html)

etucker 09-12-2005 12:10 PM

think its about time to rebuild

Well about 174000 miles on the 460. seems to be leaking(can not see where) or burning oil about every 400 miles or so I am putting in a qt of oil. not much loss or power unless I am pulling.

soudns like its time to rebuild or replace engine since truck prices are a little out of my range nowdays. :-hair

anyone have any ideas on how to extend life or good places to do the work in SLC or tooele areas?

been a while since I posted but then again haven't had any problems or time to post.

goodie350 09-14-2005 09:39 AM

That's too bad with the engine going south on ya. If you're not seeing any oil leaks then it is probably burning the oil up due to bad rings or valves. If that was the case you should see a hint of blue in your exhaust as well. Double check just to make sure it just isn't a bad gasket somewhere. Don't know of any shops up in your area. You could try using a thicker oil to see if it slows down.

Clint

etucker 09-14-2005 04:33 PM

I was told I need to replace CAt and muffler could be replaced to a magnflow to increase the power... haven't noticed any smoke but tail pipe in complete ly black onthe inside....

I got a quote from Nepco engines for a new reman engine would cost around $3700 That is better than paying $20000 for a new truck at least right now...

thant sound like a decent price to anyone.

goodie350 09-15-2005 03:17 PM

Yeah if the cat and muffler is still stock it will help it breath alot better and give you some power increase.

Don't know what price a reman for you would be. I know the prices for a complete reman 7.3 idi diesel (what I drive) is anywhere between $3-4K and since a 460 is comparable in size it would probably be close in price too.

etucker 10-03-2005 01:19 PM

well I took a little closer look it might just be leaking oil. when I was pulling my trailer this weekend it didn't look like it was putting out any or very little smoke. but I was noticing somekind of leak on the right side of engine area down by the leafsprings but I could not really see where its leaking from closest thing inthat area is header to exh pipe connection... any ideas on where to examine more there in that area??? might be a blowing leak, seems the further I drive the more oil I loose (if I leave it in SLC overnite during work week doesn't seem to lose as much as if I drove back and forth to tooele)

goodie350 10-03-2005 05:33 PM

I would take a pressure washer and clean off the motor as good as you can. If you don't have access to one you could go to a car wash just be carefull that you don't hit the electical or you may sit there for a bit till you can get it dry. This way you should only see anything new leaking and should be able to locate where it's comming from as well. Sounds like it could be leaking from the valve cover and going down the block to the headers.

75BigBlock 10-03-2005 06:14 PM

i'm thinkin the same thing. before i rebuilt my 460 i had some headers on it and the driver side valve cover would leak and drip onto the collecters and burn, they still have the stains from it too.. can't get that off once it's on :(

OldSHO 10-11-2005 08:57 PM

hey don't feel bad. my engine is shot. it still kinda runs, but it has lost a lot of power and smokes like no other. and does your cat make kinda like a vacuum sound. like its sucking in air? you would really hear it when passing other cars, trucks or even walls. if its making that kinda sound then you have a plugged cat. mine was. but now my truck is pretty much straight piped. and it gave it alot more power. all I did is cut the bolts drop it and ran a crowbar through it. then rehung it like nothing happened. but then again I do license it out in vernal. so I don't have to have an emmissions test. but they still look for the cat. thus the empty shell. gives a lot more power.

75BigBlock 10-11-2005 09:01 PM

hey oldsho.. what color smoke?

etucker 10-12-2005 02:18 PM

same thing id Tooele no emmissions. SO I might just clear out my cat. can always use more power...

OldSHO 10-12-2005 04:25 PM

grey. it burns oil and leaks it. I was putting 4 quarts a week in it. till I started running straight 30 in it. now I'm down to 2 a week. it burns more than it leaks. can barely pull a trailer.

75BigBlock 10-12-2005 08:57 PM

yikes. i was gonna say.. i've had a car that started blowing white smoke before and everyone thought it had blown piston rings. i took off the valve covers and one rocker on each side was hanging. i had two intake valves not opening (two broken pushrods and one colapsed lifter) i replaced those using my trusty magnetic teloscopic rod :-X22 and put the valve covers back on and... jackpot.. everything was back to normal.

my truck used to use about a quart every couple of weeks but it never smoked, which is why i couldn't figure it out. guess it was just wore out but had enough in it to burn what oil was gettin in there.

OldSHO 10-12-2005 11:42 PM

I'm gonna put a new engine in it. love the truck to much to sell it. its never let me down once. I like the fact that its only a 3/4 ton but will haul well over a ton in the bed alone. over load springs, and bigger axles. It hauls a ton of hay like it was nothing.

75BigBlock 10-13-2005 12:03 AM

yeah, i love these old trucks to death. when i lived in idaho my truck used to be my older brothers and we had about 5 acres of hay/alfalfa that'd get baled and needed to be stacked for the horses and we'd load that all in the bed well over the height of the cab and then onto a 20 foot trailer just as high and that 460 would pull it through furrows and all.

when it became mine.. i kinda kicked the crap out of it being the 15 year old i was at the time. i finally killed it when i was 19, it broke a piston skirt and spun a rod and main bearing all on that piston. it had 250,000+ miles on it. i loved it so much though so i had the engine rebuilt.. like.. 2 years later. cash doesn't grow on trees, even in idaho. i plan on keepin it forever if i can. i think it'll do another 250,000+

etucker 10-13-2005 10:53 AM

I am still able to pull trailers just not long hauls.... heck just last week I pulled about 3.5 tons of hay.... like there was nothing behind me...... I to will probably resort to just replacing the engine when it finnally dies.....I only burn about a qt every 400 miles or so not too bad yet just got to remember to check oil at fill up.