Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Aftermarket Guages/Instrument Cluster? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/410243-aftermarket-guages-instrument-cluster.html)

PhatGuy 09-11-2005 03:03 AM

Aftermarket Guages/Instrument Cluster?

Hey everybody, I've been reading this forum for a while, but never really had much of a reason to post, as others have already asked most of my questions. I just finished sticking a new (new to me) 300 I6 in my 1980 Bronco, and have taken her out a few times with no problems. I am currently weather-proofing the tailgate. New window motor, derusting the insides and painting/greasing them up, according to the advice to others from this forum.

I'm looking ahead to my next issue... Almost all of my dash lights are out. I'm going to have to go in there and replace some bulbs, at least, if not some wiring. My question is if anybody knows of some good aftermarket clusters or guages that I could just replace the old ones with. I figure if I'm going in there anyway, I'd sure like to have a better looking cluster than the old stock one, if possible. I'd also like to see about adding a tachometer in there, somewhere.

Thanks, in advance on this issue, and for all the advice you've all given others, which I've been able to leach. 8D

texans 09-11-2005 03:51 AM

have this is off topic but do you know what fuse goes to the dome lights. Im am trying to help someone with 1990 bronco. but I dont cant find what fuse gose to the dome lights. thanks for any help. and by the way have you checked at www.jcwhitney.com for the cluster. they have alot of stuff like that. gl
scotty

greystreak92 09-11-2005 09:31 PM

Phatguy,

Check E-gauges.com. I have the three-pod "A" pillar gauge setup on my 93 with Autometer Ultralite Series gauges. Looks very good (in my opinion) and gives me much more accurate readings with the mechanical gauges than the OEMs did. The "A"pillar may have changed slightly over the years but its worth a look.

Texans,

The fuse in position #8 in the dashboard fuse block feeds the dome light, cargo light, glove compartment light, and the radio illumination lamps.

MBBFord 09-11-2005 10:54 PM

I personally can't say I've ever seen any guage clusters other than stock ones.
I've seen some different variations of the guages like all black, black and silver, speedos of 85 or 100 mph, but no aftermarket guages.
You can get a 3 guage cluster to mount on the a pillar or under the dash for temp, oil pressure, and voltage, all mechanical guages that work alot better than stock.
As for a tach I have the same kind in my 79 Bronco and my 77 F-100 and like it very much, expessially for the price.
I mounted my tach on the steering wheel colum between the dash and steering wheel.
I think you can see them in my gallery of both of my trucks.

Streetgang 09-12-2005 06:22 AM

I bought mine from Summit.....they are Auto-Meter Phantom series. I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge (with copper tubing and not the plastic tubing they come with) and a coolant temp, and transmission temp both in short sweep electric. Mounted them in the three gauge holder also by Auto-Meter, and put the whole thing right under the ash tray.....and used the light in the ash tray to power the lights in the gauges.....so they even dim!!!!

Its nice knowing for sure what is going on with the engine and trans......and when I installed my B & M SuperCooler trans cooler, I was able to see exactly how much cooler the E4OD was running.....stuff like that makes me happy!

I didnt get a volt gauge only because it seemed like the stock unit was working just fine......not like the bogus oil pressure that came stock (I never seen a oil pressure gauge that did not move at all when the RPM's went up or down) I may get a volt gauge in the future, but I am good for right now.
Check out the link in my signature and you can see much better pics of the install!

PhatGuy 09-12-2005 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot, guys...

Gives me a lot to think about... I'll let you know what I decide to do.

MBBFord 09-12-2005 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Streetgang
I bought mine from Summit.....they are Auto-Meter Phantom series. I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge (with copper tubing and not the plastic tubing they come with)

Not to say you don't need the copper tubing, but I've been useing the plastic stuff that came with it and I haven't had a problem, and I've heard others say the same thing.
The copper or stainless steel is a reasurance that what you just bought you want it to work and you don't want to have to change anything latter, but it cost(somthing I decided I didn't need).

Streetgang 09-12-2005 07:31 PM

Yea.....the packet of copper tubing cost like $3.00

I aint never seen the nylon tubing spring a leak (unless it touched something too hot), but for $3.00 I will use the copper. I have the hole(s) in the fire wall grommeted very well, and that was my main area of concern. I dont want hot oil getting all over my carpet.....this truck is like new inside, and I would hate to F it all up for not using a $3.00 part.

Now the braided stainless steel line is a bit more costly.....but a lot more beefy.....more than I needed.

nv_brewer 09-19-2005 10:13 AM

I like the copper idea. I had a plastic line break at the fitting many years ago and pump oil in my dash. What a mess. I'd say worth the $3 insurance.

aurgathor 09-19-2005 01:01 PM

I'll just use an oil pressure gauge with electronic sender. Plastic or copper, I just don't like the idea of hot oil inside the cab.

wozxxx86 09-19-2005 02:04 PM

dont mean to hijack or anything, but this is the idea that ive thought of, or just been pondering. is it possible to take all the stock insterments out and make a custom dash and still mount all the gauges behinde the stock clear plastic to make it look nifty. i was wondering if doing such a thing will play with the computer in bad ways?

wozxxx86 09-19-2005 02:06 PM

sry incase it isnt clear, but when i say take out all the stock gauges i mean to replace them with after market such as Auto Meter

PhatGuy 09-23-2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by wozxxx86
sry incase it isnt clear, but when i say take out all the stock gauges i mean to replace them with after market such as Auto Meter

Yeah, I was kinda thinkin' the same thing, Woz... I'm sure it's possible, it'll just take somebody with enough time and determination to do it. I think I'll probably do something like that this winter... if I have the time.

wozxxx86 09-25-2005 10:22 AM

the only thing thats stoppin me is knowing weather or not the computer use's much info from them, cause it seems like it does use sumthin from the tach, and temp.

BillyBob69 09-26-2005 09:09 AM

Why bother fighting to find something that will fit into the original dash shape and guage holes? Get a peice of aluminum, using the original guage cluster as a template, cut out the aluminum to fit, then buy all the aftermarket guages you want. Place them as you want, then tap off of the original wiring for he dash for the dash lights so they dim too. Bingo, custom cluster. Polish the aluminum or paint it or wahtever you like.