Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   California SMOG questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/409952-california-smog-questions.html)

thewolfe 09-09-2005 07:35 PM

California SMOG questions

Question applies only to CALIFORNIA

I smogged my 78 Ranger Lariat F250 yesterday (passed with flying colors). It only has 74,000 on it.

While at the TEST ONLY center the tech told me only a few more years I will have to get a smog check. I know the state repealed the 30 year rolling smog exemption a year or so ago. I told the tech that and he told me, no he read something (in his smog tech literature) that the exemption was coming back.

I'm skeptical. Has anyone heard of this was repealed or overturned in California? Any rumor or facts?

ford390gashog 09-09-2005 07:44 PM

its rumor .they don't plan on bringing it back soon. there newest goal is to smog all cars back to 69 but that plan is flawed.

73effie 09-09-2005 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
its rumor .they don't plan on bringing it back soon. there newest goal is to smog all cars back to 69 but that plan is flawed.

Im getting worried about this new bill. What are the flaws? Maybe the fact that some vehicles that old have absolutley no smog equipment from the factory?

eddie-

ford390gashog 09-09-2005 11:55 PM

i think the full text of the bill was posted here a while back. it is some waco asembly woman with her hand deep inside the green peace pocket who wants it passed. there is also another which would require you to adapt every car used on the road with smog devices. that bill never got off the ground.

Torque1st 09-10-2005 12:30 AM

Moved to proper forum.

Col Flashman 09-10-2005 06:14 PM

California Smog Law . . . . . . .

Recently there has been some confusion over the California smog law that was amended in 1997. Some sources say that all cars before 1974 are exempt from smog checks. Some say all cars through 1974 are exempt from smog checks. Still more say that cars older than 25 years are exempt from smog checks. There are many other variations on this, but many of them are incorrect. Let's take a close look at part of the actual text of the law to find out the truth:
Bill number: SB 42, approved by the Governor October 8th, 1997.
Existing law exempts any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1966 model-year from provisions requiring vehicles powered by internal combustion engines in certain areas of the state to obtain a smog check certificate of compliance or noncompliance biennially, upon transfer of ownership, or upon registration of a vehicle previously registered outside the state.
This bill would, instead, exempt from those requirements any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1974 model-year or, beginning January 1, 2003, that is 30 or more model-years old.

Therefore, cars from 1973 and earlier are exempt from "obtaining a smog certificate of compliance or noncompliance", and cars from 1974-on are still restricted by this. Also, as of January 1st, 2003, cars 30 years or older will be exempt. These are the basics of what the new law entails. If you would like to read the full text of the law, click here.
http://www.recarbco.com/technical/smog/sb42summary.html

ford390gashog 09-10-2005 08:24 PM

col,

that is old. they need to update that. it has since changed. the 30 year exemption is over with. they have frozen it at 1975 and it will be this way for a long time.

Col Flashman 09-10-2005 09:39 PM

CA. SMOG Law 10/8/04--AB2683

10/8/04--AB2683 Has Been Signed Into Law

Here is what it means to you:

* Section 1 has the following language: It is the intent of the Legislature, in enacting the act adding this section, to ensure that vehicles, of the 1975 model-year and older are permanently exempted from the biennial compliance requirement of the motor vehicle inspection and maintenance (smog check) program.
* 1976 and newer model vehicles are to remain in the smog check program forever
* Amendments added a link to vehicle code 5051 and placed additional requirements on 1976 and newer model vehicles as follows:
o A 1976 or newer model vehicle will always require a smog check
o When a 1976 or newer model vehicle reaches 35 model years old or older the owner of the vehicle can get a less stringent test as defined below.
* To qualify for the less stringent test a 1976 or newer vehicle must meet the following requirements:
o The owner presents proof that the vehicle is insured as a collector vehicle
o No parameters are specified in the bill for the collector insurance(example -- mileage)
o The vehicle must be at least 35 model years old or older
o The vehice must pass a tailpipe emissions test for that model year
o The vehicle must pass a Gas Cap Check
o The vehicle must pass a Fuel Leak Check

The Good News: For now all 1966-1975 vehicle owners can keep all of their highly modified vehicles exactly as is.

The Bad News:

* Vehicle Code 27156 still says the vehicle must retain its original emissions equipment in place. We are all vulnerable.
* I get regular email from South Coast Air Quality District of 1971-1980 vehicles being bought and crushed. As a result parts for 1971 to 1980 vehicles will rapidly become harder to find. This is State Funded Scrappage.
* Remote Sensing is in full operation (study mode) taking emissions readings on any vehicle that goes through it (including street rods, hotrods, rat rods, 50s vehicles and 60s classic vehicles). No vehicle is exempt from Remote Sensing. And Yes they are pulling in vehicles for smog check verification .We must still fight that battle.

Which Hobby Vehicles Are Most Likely Affected By AB2683?: Late 70s Bronco's, Late 70s 4x4 off road pickups, Late 70s Transams, Porsches and possibly Lo Rider Customized Vehicles. I have seen a lot of nice vehicles in each of these categories.

Who will be affected? In addition to owners of the above hobby cars, many low-income people who cannot afford to repair their vehicle will be affected.

This bill is sponsored by Bay Area Air Quality Management District ..and California Council For Economic and Environmental Balance.

Go here for the latest on "Anti-Car Legislation" Intel. http://www.geocities.com/smogrfg/index.html

ford390gashog 09-10-2005 09:52 PM

well said. thanks that should be put in a sticky in the ca chapter. parts for trucks 66 -75 are almost impossible to find now they crush them without removing the parts. once these parts are gone they are gone.

Happycamper 05-10-2006 06:13 AM

75 was the "year of the CAT" as an Ex smog tech I believe thats where the law will finaly come to rest. All cars made before 75, that is all vehicles made before the Cat converters and required unleaded gas will be exempt.
That's just experienced guessing I have nothing in writing but I'll bet I'm right. I know cars and politics.

jimandmandy 05-19-2006 04:37 PM

It was actually in some ways worse in the 1970's. 1955 and later had to be retrofitted with a closed PCV, if not originally equipped. 1966 and later had to be retrofitted with a NOX device, again if not factory equipped. I had to install an EGR kit on my VW (caused backfiring) and Dodge. When some of the devices were shown to be fraudulently certified, the whole program was scrapped. Million$ were wasted.

Jim