Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum136/)
-   -   Ranger engine swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/408484-ranger-engine-swap.html)

JD717 09-04-2005 11:50 PM

Ranger engine swap

Ok, what I want to know, is since I'm going to dump the I4 and 4spd tranny in my 82 ranger, do I need to make any mods to get a more recent V6 engine from a ranger in it? something like a 2.8, or 3.0L engine, either one, and a 5 spd tranny.

Do I need to alter anything on the truck chassis to do this? I'm hoping it'll just all bolt right in, or just a few minor things modified and I'll have it in place, but I want to be sure first.

AlfredB1979 09-05-2005 03:26 PM

You would be best off going to a 302 for all that work.

I would NEVER recommend the 3.slow or anything less than a 4.0L v6, since the power gain for the cost is unnoticeable.

You can carb a 5.0L for cheap, unlike the 4.0L which has never come carbed and the demand isn't there for that use.

The 2.8L may have been an option that year, but not sure. The 4.0L would almost bolt in in that case, but like I said, a 5.0L may be just as much work.

TigerDan 09-06-2005 11:08 PM

A 2.8 would be a bolt-in swap with the correct motor mounts and tranny, and would be a noticible improvement over the 4-banger, but still is not an impressive powerplant. The 2.9 and 3.0, like like the 4.0, were only available with EFI so it would take some doing to swap one in. Swapping in a carbed 302/5.0 isn't too difficult, but there are quite a few things to consider.

Motor mounts...there are several available, from about 45 bucks up to almost 200. I made my own.

Exhaust manifolds/headers...clearance is tight on the driver's side, especially around the steering box. There are swap headers available, and certain stock manifolds will fit okay. Usually, when buying headers from a company it's a good idea to use their motor mounts as well, as they are generally made to work together. Using the mounts from one company and the headers from another can lead to header clearance problems.

Remote oil filter...the stock location for the filter on a 302/5.0 puts it right in the steering box, so you must use a remote mounted filter. The standard type that you can find everywhere which bring the lines straight out of the adaptor also won't work. You must use the type that bring the lines out flat against the side of the block.

Power steering can also cause a clearance problem. Your truck with the 4-banger probably didn't have power steering, but with the extra weight of a V8 up there, you'll wish it did.

Does your truck have A/C? Probably not, but that's another clearance problem area. The heater box interferes with the pass. side valve cover and has to be notched. It's even more pronounced with A/C.

Cooling system...the stock radiator won't cut it. You'll have to use a bigger one. Some people say the radiator out of a '90-'93 Ranger with a 4.0, A/C, A/T will cool a stock or lightly modified 302. That's what I got, and I'll try it with an eye towards upgrading if I need to. That's also another clearance problem area. It's pretty tight between the water pump and the radiator. It's a common thing to move the radiator forward underneath the top radiator support bracket for extra clearance. Also, certain late-model 5.0s with the serpentine belt drive had a special shorter water pump, which requires a different timing cover and matching accessories. The serpentine drive water pump runs backwards from a v-belt pump, so the serpentine belt system must be used with it.

There are some other considerations. If you are interested in doing this swap, PM me and I'll give you some links. In the meantime, here's a link to some pics of my swap in progress. I'm doing all the mock-up and fabrication using an '83 parts truck I have, so that when I'm ready to do the actual swap (soon now) I'll have a lot of the work already done reducing my truck's downtime.

LedheadELH 09-16-2005 07:02 PM

I've done MANY ranger motor swaps....I've pulled out a carb'd I4, put in the EFI 2.9, I've pulled out a carb'd 2.8, put in the EFI 2.9, right now I'm in the middle of a 302 swap!.....pretty much it's ALL plug N Play., to put an EFI in an older Ranger, I gotta change alot of wires to get the gages and such to work, and to get the plugs on the firewall to work. I've had to take the motor mouns on the motor, and slightly modify them., I also cut the pins on the mounts off, cuz thoses ONLY line up to the original type of motor.

BUT, if ur swapping different motors, but the same year, there's NOTHING to it!, don't be scared, it's easy!

Dalamatition 09-17-2005 01:39 AM

Take a look in Jegs and Summit magazine. Those two sell swap parts for Rangers and S10 pickups. They have headers and etc for the swap.

JD717 09-18-2005 02:21 AM

This is great to know I've got the help from people who've actually done this, and can help me through it. Thanks folks, I'm gonna go for the 302, and a different tranny too, probably a 5 spd to gain a little better fuel economy. I'm plenty happy with a carbed engine, its simple, it works, and I actually know how to fix it easily.

TigerDan 09-18-2005 02:39 AM

Oops! Just reread my post above and realized I didn't include the link I mentioned...duh! Well, here it is:

http://community.webshots.com/album/344645657dMpWey

The actual swap is going to start within the next few weeks. I've got something else to drive now, so I can take the Ranger out of service for a while.

I'm going with the 5-speed as well, already swapped in bucket seats to clear the setback shfter. I'm going to use EFI though. The truck is already injected and I want to keep it smog legal. I like EFI anyway but a carb would simplify things, that's for sure!

JD717 09-18-2005 04:45 PM

Well. please, let me know how yours turns out, and what setbacks if any you encounter first so I know what to plan for, and how to deal with it.

LedheadELH 09-24-2005 01:52 PM

alright, basically, I've done it......it's easy!.....I've about swapped any older Ranger motor, w/ any other older Ranger motor.....I think it's fun cuz it's SOOOOO easy....for the most part everything plug and play!......I know it sounds crazy, but U'd be Amazed!, putting a non-ranger motor in is WAY WAY harder than another Ranger motor.....trust me, I've done that too!.....ppl think that putting EFI in a Carb'd truck is hard...well they don't know what they R talking about if it's a Ranger.....NOW, the 2.9, or the 4.0 is the way to go, I'd recomand the 2.9, cuz it's the easiest, and they haul, if U know what ur doin'!.....the 4.0 is a completely different setup!.....BUT, once U decide what ur goin' w/ lemmie know, I'll let ya know about it...cept the 4.0...never done that, but I bet it's easier than a 302.

BTW I'm almost done my 302 5 sp in my Ranger right now....I know all about that too, if U got ?'s

RangerPilot 09-25-2005 08:35 PM

Well I gotta question. I got a '94 Ranger 4.0L V6, would like to upgrade. Is there anything bigger that is worth the cost? I really like the 4.0, but a little extra kick...well...maybe I just want some speed :-)

TigerDan 09-25-2005 08:53 PM

Well, the only swap above a 4.0 is a V8...unless you could get hold of a Taurus SHO motor to swap in. 220 hp stock from a four-cam 24 valve 3.0. Otherwise you could keep your 4.0 and upgrade it.

chruby99 10-26-2005 08:11 PM

95 F-150

2wd

C-6

this trick 1969 Can Am 494 all aluminum NASCAR BOSS 429 stroked with a hilborn fuel injection

http://www.cia.com.au/seale/stangeng.html

panhard bar

torque arm

13" front Brembos

12" rear Brembos

Belltech drop beams.

Panited up like a 65 Shelby GT-350 Wimbelton white w/ guardsman Blue stripes.

Oh yea with a oldies style wood plank bed with chrome strips.

chruby99 10-26-2005 08:25 PM

2004 Ranger

Or a 04 ranger with a 3.0 SHO tuned the way YAMAHA sent them. @300 hp mated to a 6sp stick slammed with some Big disc brakes and nice rims.

supercab4x4dually 12-03-2005 04:10 PM

I have a 83 Ranger 5.0 4x4 and how hard to swap the C4 to a C6.I can't keep C4's in the truck,and I have a nice C6 setup out of fullsze 1983 F-150 4x4 I want to use.Is this posible?I did a search but couldn't find any info??Thank You

TigerDan 12-03-2005 05:51 PM

I haven't heard of doing that and I don't find any info on it either...at least, not in a 4X4. I think you would have to swap trans and transfer case, and I'm not sure what kind of clearence problems you might run into.

All the info I have talks about using the C4, C5 or AOD in the Ranger V8 swap.