Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Excursion Body Lift? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/404532-excursion-body-lift.html)

CalEx4x4 08-21-2005 10:51 PM

Excursion Body Lift?

I have a 2003 4x4 Ex with the 6.8L. Bought the Performance 3" body lift kit #893 for the F-250/350. Have any of you tried this on the Ex?
I understand there might be some problems with the rear bolt holes needing to be enlarged? Different bolts? My biggest worry is with the fan/shroud alignment. I didn't buy a suspension lift because I wanted to keep the C.G. low (drivetrain and frame outwight the body) but still have more room for larger tires. Any feedback will be appreciated!

RACERX7775 10-20-2005 05:14 AM

Dont Do A Body Lift. The Body Is To Heavy And If You Wheel The Truck You Could Break The Mounts. And It Would Ride Alor Rougher. Do A Suspension Lift Or None At All..

BIGRNU 10-20-2005 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RACERX7775
And It Would Ride Alor Rougher.

How exactly, is a body lift going to change ANYTHING about the ride quality of a vehicle?

RACERX7775 10-21-2005 03:43 AM

BIGRNU, you no longer have just two rubber bushings riding against each other. the center of gravity is changed, and you are putting alot more stress on the body mounts because there is going to be more distance between the body and frame(causes the body to move more on the frame). take it from expierience. I also have a 97 ram 2500 and started out with a 3 inch body lift. YES, IT DID, make it ride alot rougher. since then i added a big suspension lift instead and a set of 38's. if you dont mind the ride and you dont wheel the truck(hard that is)then you should be fine. after all it is a cheap way to lift the truck. in my opinion, spend the extra $$$$ and get the suspension lift. it will ride much better and be safer. after all it's only about $5-600 for an complete lift with springs and shocks for the X. BUT, you know the saying about opinions. P.S. what is the reason for the body lift. looks, tires, just to say"mine is bigger"?? either way. to each is own. i wish CalEx4x4 the best..

BIGRNU 10-21-2005 09:04 PM

Sorry, I don't buy it. When referring to the "ride" of a vehicle, we are talking about the performance of the suspension - how well the vehicle handles pot holes, bumps, irregularities in the surface of the road. The biggest difference you will notice with a body lift is a slightly higher center of gravity (although not much, since the frame and running gear weigh a bit more than the body), and even this will not change your spring capacity, dampening ability of the shock absorbers, or usability of the sway bar.

Most people install body lifts to fit larger tires under their vehicle without messing with suspension components. The last body lifted truck I owned was a 1980 GMC half ton. With a 3" body lift and minor fender trimming, I fit 35"x12.5" tires on that truck. The TIRES made it ride differently, but the body lift most certainly did not affect RIDE QUALITY.

If you are changing more than one component at a time (i.e. body lift and tires), you most certainly cannot blame the difference on one thing, or the other. A combination of both, certainly. But when we're talking about spacers that lift your body 3", and tires that are 3-6" larger than stock - the tires are going to make a bit more difference in ride quality than the body lift is.

CalEx4x4 10-25-2005 11:43 PM

This kit is made for the F-250 and F-350, which can weight a lot more than the Ex
(when loaded). I understand that the Ex weights about 4 tons empty. This is probably more than a F-250/350 with an empty bed though. Any thoughts out there ?
My '86 Extended Econoline has been GREAT with a 3" body lift. Much easier to access
the spark plugs, fuel filter, and it runs cooler with more room for the fan exhaust to
vent. Also less underhood heat with the extra 3 inches of hood clearance. It takes the
mountain roads without body lean because the heavy frame/drivetrain are still OEM height. If I skip the Body Lift, What's the best way to pick-up 3" of lift WITHOUT using the typical lift blocks that add to the INFAMOUS axle-wrap?

Thanks for all of your ideas and input !

BIGRNU 10-26-2005 09:28 PM

I've seen photos of Excursions with a modified F-250/F-350 body lift, but have not been able to find many details on how well it fits, what needs to be modified, etc. I'm sure it is possible - but then again, there is probably a good reason why no one makes a body lift specifically for the Excursion. Just something to keep in mind.

If you're looking for just a few inches of suspension lift, you have many options. I don't know about a 3" lift - but you can find plenty of 4" lift kits for the Excursion. It's up to you whether you choose to go with new springs on the rear, or blocks. Or - there's always the shackle lift option, retaining your factory springs. CHeck Donahoe Racing... They might have just what you're looking for.

GeoQwest 03-13-2008 03:52 PM

Excursion Body Lift

I too am looking for a 2-3 inch body lift for my 2000 Ex. I have a 3" suspension lift but need a bit more rear departure angle clearance. I have yet to find a bolt on kit.

I think the comment regarding breaking the body mounts is valid as I have broken 2 stock mounts and loosened others with off pavement body twisting. The increased torque on the longer bolts may be an issue. Or it may even have them fatigue the body at the anchor points.

I would still like to find a proven kit somewhere and a contact to anyone who uses it in regularly off pavement. My truck is a work vehicle used daily off pavement in Canada and Mexico so this kit needs to work...cheers.

CalEx4x4 03-13-2008 05:00 PM

I used the Performance Accessories kit PER-893 (about $350 online) for the F-250/F-350 Super Duty. Since the Excursion is loosely based on the Superduty line, the kit went on without any problems. There are more lift blocks than what the Excursion needs because the F-250/350 frame is longer and uses more body mounts, look at the crew cabs with an 8 foot bed for example. It took me one weekend to do the lift by myself. Used a few 4x4 blocks and one floor jack to raise the body one side at a time.
I think I still have photos in the gallery. Good luck however you go. . .

George

k7ikuzus1k 03-13-2008 06:38 PM

Cal, did you notice any increase in power/gas mileage after you removed the OEM fan and shroud..? Did you really need to build the Aluminum shroud plate when you did the conversion?

christos10 01-24-2010 01:03 AM

2005 excursion help

so i read all the posts on here, and still dont understand as im new to this to. bought a 2005 triton limited excursion V10 6.8l when i bought it it came with a 40inch mud tires and 22 inch rims now i cannot tell what kind of lift it is as all i can c is it is a pro-comp. im assuming from reading the post on here that it can only be a 6 inch even though it looks way bigger. i cannot for the love of god find a body lift kit as i want it a tad higher. does anyone have any ideas of where i can go to purchase a body lift for this monster? or im assuming there isnt one fr the ex as i have tried googling n cannot come up with anything.. any ideas?

thnks for anyone that replys back n srry if any of these questions r stupid but im new to the ex family..:-newbie

TeamMudd 01-24-2010 05:53 PM

i'm a FIRM "Anti-Body lift" person any way, but putting one on the Ex with stock suspension would be nuts.

why not look into a shackle kit, or even the mini spring packs for the front, and blocks for the rear.

to add just a hair more lift to a 6" you can maybe look into a shackle kit for the front (2" or 3" kit), and if it's all spring in the rear, an additional block. there is a safer combination out there for the addition of a few inches than a body lift, they may be more expensive than a body lift, but i'd say safer too! how much are you wanting to go up?

for a stock suspension upgrade, why not look into the V/B code swap that nets about 1.5" on a gasser, or the X code spring swap for the front which nets about 2.5" lift on a a gasser. OR you could go with skyjacker 4" springs all the way around ( Product Search - Skyjacker )

christos10 01-24-2010 06:19 PM

2005 excursion bdy lift

teammudd, thnks fr ur reply.the truck has a procomp suspesion kit on it already not factory, but will look into what u brought up.. as i dnt have any othr choice.. cannot find a bdylift fr the ex..im wanting an additional 3 or 4. n ill be happy.. again thanks fr ur help:-drink

TeamMudd 01-24-2010 09:23 PM

the stock suspension idea wasn't directed at you, sorry for the confusion, i should have stated it differently.

but for you, look into a shackle kit for the front, and do you have a full spring lift in the rear (no block) or do you have springs with a block on the rear?

christos10 01-24-2010 09:29 PM

Hey mud, its u full spring no blocks. Frm what I c..so nt sure..but I will look into tht shackel kit as I hve nevr heard of tht or even knw what it is..