Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Your Favorite Modification(s) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/394493-your-favorite-modification-s.html)

david1951F1 07-21-2005 09:01 AM

Your Favorite Modification(s)

Hello all,

1. What is the favorite modification(s) you have done to your Ford.

2. What modification(s) have you done that you were not pleased with the outcome or product.

3. What modification(s) would you like to do to your Ford.

I will go first with our trucks:

1996 F-250

Favorite Mod(s):
- Line-X liner
- Switching to Michelins, not to exciting, but boy they sure improved the ride
- Sony MP3 CD player with alpine speakers

Unsatisfied Mod(s):
- I have to say that I have not been as pleased with the folding aluminum bed cover. Fairly pricy system that has not been as effective as I originally anticipated. Sensitive system to keep aligned/operating smoothly and is not very effective keeping things dry in the bed.

Upcoming Mod(s):

- Possible bed cap or hard cover to replace the folding aluminum system. Something that will keep the bed dry.
- If money were no object, the Banks Power PowerPack System - Stainless steel exhaust - headers back for my 460.

1951 F1
Favorite Mod:
- The restoration that is in process. Frame was recently painted and it looks great (see photos in gallery)

Upcoming Mod:

- I plan to redo the original oak bed wood with Birdseye maple to compliment the restoration.

Franken-Truck 07-21-2005 04:38 PM

'87 F-150

Favorite mods:
-Installed scavenged power windows and door locks
-Installed scavenged bucket seats
-Droped in a rebuilt 3.55 rear end
-Bed rail caps
-Tach-o-meter

Unsatisfied mods:
-4x4 conversion that was never completed. Complete waste of time and money, too much hassel when inspection time rolls around x( But I'm wiser and older now, I've learned my lesson.
-Walker down pipe. Better starter access doesn't justify the time spent putting it in, and getting the old one out. Did gain 1 mpg though.
-painting dash and door panels gloss black. Looks great, when I clean it, but it gets HOT in the summer :-fire

'78 F-250 (so far)

Favorite mods:
-460 swap. Will be redone correctly (last owner hacked it).
-Poly mounts/bushings
-Derusting/converting and painting EVERYTHING
-"Tweaked" front leaf packs :-X22
-Putting in OEM dual tanks (gotsta feed the beast }> )

Unsatisfied mods:
-Previous owners 460 swap

I wouldn't call my '78 a restoration, but it will be nice when done. Your '51 frame is looking nice! I can't wait to see it when its rolling :-D

Violjohn78 07-21-2005 11:54 PM

Well Favorite mod:
Putting in the 3.27 gears and Limited slip from 2.47 open
Bucket seats
Tonneau Cover

Least Favorite Mod
The cross threaded sparkplug hole in my head, that is sorta fixed

Looking forward:
Once i move want to put a mild build 351 and a TKO. Lots of $$

david1951F1 07-22-2005 06:21 AM

Violjohn78,

I know the joy / pain of spark plugs. When replacing them a couple of years ago, the back right plug snapped completely of flush at the threads. Another one snapped of mid way.

Had to pull the head and use a drill and torch to get the broken plugs out as they were so rusted in. It turns out the truck must have been used as a plow truck and the head had all kinds of sand packed in and around the plugs when eventually rusted them in.

Glad that's over with...

Rexman 07-22-2005 07:39 AM

well, i don't really know. i can only give recommendations on my experiences. the only thing i've done to my truck is the rhino liner.

i've found rhino liner scratches/chips less than line-x, but i liked the finish of the line-x better. rhino liner is awfully tough to get clean.

as for bed coverage, i have nothing right now but on my last truck i had a Truxedo roll up cover. if you've never seen one, they work great! just like the access covers.. i'd buy one of those tonneaus before i'd do a fiberglass or other cover. i have a few things that wouldn't fit under a shell, so i'd never get one..

i've got to do a flowmaster system on my truck..

one thing i'm not so happy about, i guess another mod i did, was the K&N intake. didn't do really anything as far as i can tell for my 300 six..

lvmyf-150 07-23-2005 10:32 PM

95 F-150

Favorite Mod
6" suspension lift
35" baja claw radials
15" mt clasic locks

Unsatisfied mods
duraliner bed liner

Upcoming mods
ford racing headers
throttle body spacer
traction bars
duel sterring stablizers

bob hare 07-24-2005 08:37 AM

1934 Ford PickUp
Favorite Mods: Adding power windows, 2" dropped spindles, Flush mount LED third brake light, custom bracketry throughout the truck, custom home built gauge panel

Unsatisfied Mods:
1-cheesy Toyota bucket seats and the way I mounted them, I should have spent the $$ on an aftermarket bench seat.
2- home made firewall and floorboard....NEVER AGAIN, I'd spend the money on a custom stamped aftermarket kit next time.

Upcoming Mods:Cruise control, air conditioning, killer stereo system, interior lighting, and who knows what else!

oldRedTruck 07-25-2005 10:26 AM

Favorite So far:
Sirius stereo/CD/mp3/wmv player
Rear spring over shocks (new) from ebay = 9 bucks
allowed me to remove the rear helper springs
Used Ranger Plastic tool box with key *given* to me :-X22

Supercab pop out side windows

Least Favorite:
Rear window louvers, so I took em back off..

Planned:
rear 8.5" with limited slip
15" rims & 30" tires
1.5" body lift
Stock OEM Tach (I have it- I just need to git-R-done)
front valance with fog lights

Violjohn78 07-29-2005 01:07 PM

Something else i Forgot, My 275 60/15 tires Much better than the 235-75 15's I had

Tomcat7742 08-06-2005 10:32 PM

Favorite:
XM Satellite Radio
Combat Spray in Bedliner
Kenwood stereo
Pioneer Speakers

I havn't added anything I don't like. I'm kinda limited to what I can add right now because my truck is still under warranty.

Planned:
Security System
60/40 Seat
Carpet
Kenwood Speakers (all around)
Whatever else JC Whitney can talk me into

- Chris

ColonyPark 08-07-2005 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tomcat7742
Favorite:

Whatever else JC Whitney can talk me into

That reminds me of a friend of mine. We used to tease him that he must have put a magnet on his truck and driven it through Pep Boys. :-)