Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Georgia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum82/)
-   -   Maybe moving to Athens? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/393237-maybe-moving-to-athens.html)

FLgargoyle 07-17-2005 09:07 AM

Maybe moving to Athens?

I am on a quest to find a nice, rural area to live, and eventually retire. For some reason, I keep coming back to Athens, GA. It's about the right climate, the right size, rural property is still affordable, and you can get to a sizeable city (Atlanta) for sports, concerts, etc. Anybody from that area? How 'car-friendly' is GA? (Here in FL, almost anything goes). I'm coming up to Athens in October for a look-see. Are there any areas to avoid?

70blue 07-17-2005 01:46 PM

Goodluck on your relocation whether it be to athens or where ever. As far as the areas to avoid just stay away from pauldoe st. and you should be fine. Ga is very car friendly until you get to atlanta. (not a whole lot of parking close to the big events) I find it easier when going to atlanta for concerts to park at a marta station and take the train. That way you avoid large amounts of traffic. You don't have to look for parking which would be more than likely nonexistent and expensive. Plus the rail is the quickest way to get to the main points in atlanta and a bargain at 1.75 a head. There is an area between monroe and watkinsville where you see more cows than people and the cable internet is 4mb a second(the area around snows mill road very convenient to athens)

old87 07-28-2005 12:50 PM

I grew up in the area and love it. Moved once for two years and couldn't wait to get back.
Land prices are outrageous in some areas,but the linin is fine..Good luck!!

mudflaps87 07-28-2005 07:57 PM

If you happen to be in Athens on a home game weekend expect to see alot of traffic around Stanford Stadium - cars & foot traffic. But it is a sight to behold at least once in your lifetime! Red & Black everywhere!

There are alot of rural areas surrounding Athens. At least part of Winterville is in Clarke Co. and there is land to be found there. All the counties around Athens still have land 'out in the country'. Try looking in 'The Real Estate Book' online for some ideas.

Lived in the Athens area all my life and can't imagine living anywhere else. But a word of advice......learn the proper way to say 'Go Dawgs...Sic 'em' if you plan on staying.

70blue 07-28-2005 07:59 PM

Good to see you online again mudflaps.

FLgargoyle 07-29-2005 03:05 PM

I've gotten a real estate book from the area, and found land to be very affordable, at least by the standards of where I live now. Here, they build 6 houses to an acre, and a lot is $100,000. I'd like about 5 acres within 25 miles of Athens or so. But no subdivisions with their fussy rules, please. If I want to live in a mobile home and tear trucks apart in the yard, well, that's what the 5 acres is for. In our city, you can't have an un-registered vehicle in the driveway, even if it's brand new, and you can't park a BOAT in your driveway! I want outta here. This next move is where I hope to retire, and die. I don't want to move again.

old87 08-01-2005 11:07 PM

God Bless and good luck!!

old87 08-02-2005 10:11 PM

Abump to kinda quiet post... hopin' for a party...

FLgargoyle 08-03-2005 02:20 PM

We're thinking about coming up in October for a long weekend to look around. How's the weather then?

old87 08-04-2005 12:27 AM

The weather??
Perfect...

Billy Stiles 08-07-2005 05:39 AM

Hey, lemme know when you're planning on coming to athens. I can sorta give you a tour around town or at least athens proper, because this will be my 4th year there as a college student. Maybe we can all grab a bite to eat at the Varisty?

old87 08-10-2005 10:13 PM

Flagargoyle- we are plannin' a party Sept. 17th -18 around Athens and goin' into Athens that weekend just FYI..

old87 08-31-2005 11:41 PM

Tell me what ya think- Let's do a RSVP kinda thing- If ya don't rsvp, ya don't get in.
This way we save $ on food and everything.
We can reserve rooms at our restaurants or eateries and get better deals on eats and drinks.

It will also save on what foods will be cooked at The Redneck Pavillion-
more for those that reserve.

More for us that show, ignore those that don't.

RSVP here or don't bother at all.

Better to have those few that care than many that don't.
Whatcha think new chapter leader?

RSVP = reserve with mudflaps or don't bother at all!!

FLgargoyle 09-01-2005 04:36 AM

I won't be able to get away until at least October, but thanks for the invite! My wife works a lot of weekends, so we have to plan well in advance before we travel.

magee 09-01-2005 12:49 PM

I live in Statham which is in Barrow county and about a 10 minute ride to Athens. Houses are not expensive around here and neither is the land. You may want to avoid Oconee county as the land there has gotten ridiculously expensive. There are a couple of houses in my neighborhood for sale but they are only on about 2/3's of an acre.