Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   49 flat 6 duel carb & Exhaust? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/390995-49-flat-6-duel-carb-and-exhaust.html)

DashOPepper 07-09-2005 09:38 PM

49 flat 6 duel carb & Exhaust?

I’ve got a rough 49 f-1 with a flat 6. What would be the best way to get two Carbs and Duel exhaust on it. Im guessing I would need two intakes and two exhaust manifolds, cut them up and peace them bact together. Has anyone done this?

Also what kind of carbs would I put on there?

And finally does anyone know where I can get an aluminum head?

-Thanks

IB Tim 07-10-2005 06:18 AM

...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

46fordtruck 07-11-2005 12:49 AM

Aluminum heads for the Ford flathead 6 are very rare, saw 1 advertised in an old hot rod mag from the 50's. Never seen 1 today. There have been 6 cylinder dual intakes made, but they are kind of rare, saw 1 recently at a swap meet, but it was too pricey, and I'm pulling my 6 for a flathead 8.
Can't say I've ever split manifold, but I'm sure it could be done. The dual exhaust could simply be a 1 into 2 set up if it's too difficult to split the mani, of course, you don't get as much HP as true duals, but you'll gain a couple.

4tl8ford 07-11-2005 10:41 PM

There is a Ford Six Cyl site. Also just saw ahighrise adaptor for tow cabs for a six manifold.

Google "ford six cylindar engine"

51ford fan 07-13-2005 09:33 AM

Kansas Kustoms will take your exhaust manifold and make a dual exhaust out of it for around $200.00 including shipping. Get ahold of Christopher2 over on the 48 to 60 forum he just had one done. He also picked up a dual intake off ebay a couple months ago.

Rod

Christopher2 07-13-2005 07:34 PM

Mike Yoder
620-662-0040 or 620-200-3500
113 E. Sherman
Hutchinson,Ks
</O:p
at Kansas Kustoms will cut a single manifold and make a dual out of it for the old flathead 6. You don't need two

For dual carbs I have been told you can use two of the factory caburetors. That is what I am using. Look at Vintage Speed for dual carbs if you need some setup help. I found one two carburetor intake in the past year and it is sitting in my garage with rebuilt carbs waiting to be installed. I paid dearly for that intake. I didn't care I wanted a 254 flat with with dual carbs abd a dual exhaust.

I would also look at side draft webers if you want multiple carbs, cut the intake keeping the runners and have the ends machined with an adapter made to fit.

As for the aluminum head I have been looking also no luck at all.

Originally Posted by DashOPepper
I’ve got a rough 49 f-1 with a flat 6. What would be the best way to get two Carbs and Duel exhaust on it. Im guessing I would need two intakes and two exhaust manifolds, cut them up and peace them bact together. Has anyone done this?

Also what kind of carbs would I put on there?

And finally does anyone know where I can get an aluminum head?

-Thanks

DashOPepper 07-14-2005 09:08 AM

Hey thanks for the info guys. I guess ill have to keep my eyes open for an intake and im shur that sending my exhaust mani in would be a better idea than trying to butcher it myself.

Christopher2 07-14-2005 11:30 AM

Mike does a good job and has worked with a lot of cast iron manifolds. I went with him for the experince he has. I didn't want to mess with a leaky manifold.

Originally Posted by DashOPepper
Hey thanks for the info guys. I guess ill have to keep my eyes open for an intake and im shur that sending my exhaust mani in would be a better idea than trying to butcher it myself.

51ford fan 07-14-2005 05:57 PM

Pickup a copy of California Bills Speed Manual 1952 edition. It's been reprinted and has some good information on hotrodding the Flathead 6.