Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Neep Help On What Tires To Get - 2004 F150 Fx4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/386185-neep-help-on-what-tires-to-get-2004-f150-fx4.html)

EDMCCLOUGHLOCH 06-23-2005 02:11 PM

Neep Help On What Tires To Get - 2004 F150 Fx4

Well I have narrowed down the list of tires...right now I have the strock general ameritrac tr tires - which are too crappy for my driving style. Anyways, I use my truck for everything - I like to offroad a lot, especially on sand dunes, but at the same time I tow cars a lot. I want at least BFG All Terrain TA's or the equivalent (one up from regular AT tires), or something like the BFG mud terrain tires. Does anyone have the mud terrain - or goodyear wrangler MTR's, or Cooper Discoverer STT's on their trucks right now - I want to know how the ride is and noise level. I would really like the more aggressive tires, but I don't want the noise to be unbearable - BFG does claim however that the mud terrains have reduced road noise - anyone want to agree or disagree with that? Anyways, here's the tires i'm considering

- Cooper Discoverer STT's - like the mud terrain or wranger MTR, but has a much higher load rating (E) instead of C. Plus, I've had their tires before and I like them.
- BFG Mud Terrains
- BFG All Terrain TA
- GoodYear Wranger MT-R

ChrisAdams 06-23-2005 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by EDMCCLOUGHLOCH
Well I have narrowed down the list of tires...right now I have the strock general ameritrac tr tires - which are too crappy for my driving style. Anyways, I use my truck for everything - I like to offroad a lot, especially on sand dunes, but at the same time I tow cars a lot. I want at
- BFG Mud Terrains
- BFG All Terrain TA
- GoodYear Wranger MT-R

I am kinda lost here.http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...cons/icon5.gif
I have run dunes in everything from a sand rail to a stock 1956 3/4 ton Ford pickup. On sand you want a non-aggressive tread.
A street radial, somewhat deflated, runs better in sand than any all terrain tire.
The more aggressive the tread, the more it digs in and takes more horsepower to plow through.
A street radial will run over the top of all but the most drifted sand, and even there does fine. In addition, a tire with aggressive tread does not like to be deflated, the sidewalls are too stiff.

For towing, I assume you are not exceeding the tongue weight, so any quality tire would do fine.

Now if you are talking packed sand, rocks, mud, snow, etc. that BFG At is a good tire.
Chris

bdmcdonald 06-23-2005 02:28 PM

BFG Goodrich All Terrain TA's :-X22 Excellent traction in snow or mud, pretty quiet on highway. 6 ply sidewall I think, good stong tire never had any problems with the set I had on my old truck...:-tap

les017 06-23-2005 02:42 PM

check out Bridgestone Dueler A/T & M/T. Have had both and loved them. Furthermore, the prices are decent and Firestone/Bridgestone always has the 30-day test drive. No shmidt - if you don't like 'em they will take 'em off and either reinstall your originals or move you to something else.

Ruckus 06-28-2005 05:38 PM

FYI, I heard some BFG's are made by Michelin. I just thought I would share something I learned today. Good Luck!

kingfish51 06-28-2005 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ruckus
FYI, I heard some BFG's are made by Michelin. I just thought I would share something I learned today. Good Luck!

Michelin bought BF Goodrich Tire division some years ago. So in reality all BFG's are Michelins. Many of the names we are familiar with have been gobbled up, just like many other businesses.
As for which tire, I would suggest the BFG All Terrain. From your list, they are the best all around tire. The Coopers in LR E might be too harsh driving, especially on the road. On a heavier vehicle, they wouldn't be so bad, but on a F150 there are almost too much tire. No give in the sidewalls.

Johnnyboy04 06-28-2005 06:40 PM

I have the goodyear MTR's on my 04 FX4. I got them in 285/70/17. I have between 10 and 15 thousand miles on them so far and am very happy. I did not notice much more road noise over the stock tires and tire wear has been pretty good for a tread pattern this agressive. I put them on late in the winter and only drove them in a couple inches of snow on the highway, but they did great. I left the truck in 2wd and couldn't get it to come loose. I am very pleased with these tires so far. There are pics in my gallery.

STJones 06-29-2005 09:46 AM

I have been looking at the Mickey Thompson Dick Cepak's. I have been told that they wear really good. I am probably going to get the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX for my new 17" rims.