Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance & Dress-Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum71/)
-   -   Wut is wrong with armor all? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/385853-wut-is-wrong-with-armor-all.html)

fordguy101 06-22-2005 11:07 AM

Wut is wrong with armor all?

Do u guys notice that when u go 2 wallyworld or any automotive stores? That the shelves are filled with armor all products that don't look like they had sold any of them? Wut is wrong with armor all yeah its a lil slick but its not that bad of a product. Any comments appreciated thanks. fordguy101

fordguy101 06-22-2005 11:11 AM

That look like they haven't sold very well my bad. fordguy101

fordguy101 06-22-2005 05:53 PM

I bet this is in the wrong form. But I didn't know where 2 put it. fordguy101

wmcutter 06-22-2005 10:21 PM

No clue as to why. Maybe some of the others can shed some light. Good luck.

fordguy101 06-22-2005 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by wmcutter
No clue as to why. Maybe some of the others can shed some light. Good luck.

Yeah thanks hopfully other people will respond. fordguy101

RL_F150 06-22-2005 10:41 PM

Several years ago Armor All developed a reputation for cracking dashboards and tire sidewalls. Something about the formula creating high gloss, but stripping the oils/plasticizers from the vinyl/rubber.

I can't vouch for how widespread those experiences were, whether they were accurate, or whether the current formula has anything to do with the formula used in the 80s.

That said, I used Armor All on interior parts and tires on car in the late-80s and experienced cracking of the tire sidewalls and on the side of the seats. Thought that was odd, then ran across other's anecdotal experiences (some of which say they had no problems...). Nonetheless, I haven't used it since and haven't had any issues with cracking since.

Maybe that reputation is what has scared people away?

My 2 cents. :)

wmcutter 06-22-2005 10:47 PM

RL, interesting comments. Do you or anybody out there have some experience or a recommendation for products that work and won't ruin rubber or anything else. Be interested to know. Thanks.

RL_F150 06-23-2005 09:11 AM

I have recently begun using 303 Aerospace Protectant (http://www.303products.com/). I've heard good things about it, though it is a wee bit more expensive (about $11 a bottle) than other protectants.

I have also used Meguiar's (http://meguiars.com/) products with very good results, namely Meguiar's Natural Shine over the past several years. It comes in a spray bottle, but is almost like a lotion in thickness/texture. I should mention that the Natural Shine has gotten more difficult to find locally, at least around here. Seems most stores are pushing the Meguiar's NXT protectant and/or Meguiar's Gold Class Protectant, both of which I also consider to be good products.

For tires, I have used the Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel for the past 3 years or so. I've been quite satisfied with it as it holds up well and a bottle lasts a long time.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others can chime in with more recommendations. :)

bulldog3531 06-23-2005 09:47 AM

I have to agree on the Meguiar's products or also Mother's products. Both work well I have had no problems. They give a great shine and it is not very greasey. The Armor All thing I had a buddy that used it and also had the cracking of the seats and dash. I Hope this helps you out.

fordguy101 06-23-2005 11:24 AM

Yeah it does but if any one has more info I would greatly appreciate it? But thanks again guys! On armor alls website it says that the cracking thing is not real is this right? Reason I bring this up is cause I haven't had a problem with it. thanks goodness. fordguy101

CobraXP 06-23-2005 03:49 PM

I believe Armor All changed their formula in the early-mid 90's. The previous formula sealed the dash and other parts when applied and would not let it breath making it hard and brittle. When that happened and the material got hot, it would expand and break. Armor All may be able to claim it doesn't happen anymore, but I know from real experience (my vehicle and 2 of my parents) that it really happened. :mad:

I use Mequiars products and a company called Fullers. I also use baby oil, suntan oil, and vaseline on my dash. Anything good for your skin is good for your dash, vinyl, leather, etc. The only reason I use suntan oil is for the scent is gives off... :-D

fordguy101 06-23-2005 05:12 PM

lol I noticed on armor alls website again. That they used to make a interior proctectact that is less greasy. And the reason I think they stopped making it was because it didn't sell well. But still I would have thought that it would have been a hot seller. Cobraxp that was interesting thanks for the info. fordguy101

fordguy101 06-23-2005 05:14 PM

since it is less greasy u would have thought it would sell well.

i1dery 06-24-2005 03:12 PM

I've been using armorall for years on the interior of all my cars i've owned since 78' and have had no problems what so ever.
On the outside I have used mequiars everything love the stuff.

fordguy101 06-30-2005 01:31 PM

I love armor all 2. I hope that they come up with more new products. fordguy101