Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Volant Ram Air Scoop Rubs Tire (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/371278-volant-ram-air-scoop-rubs-tire.html)

Ruckus 05-01-2005 07:19 PM

Volant Ram Air Scoop Rubs Tire

Just thought I would give a heads up to anyone considering the Volant Ram Air Scoop.When I turn my wheel almost all the way the tire rubs the scoop tube.I am thinking I will have to take it back off or the tire will knock it off.I certainly would not buy smaller tires to accomodate that piece of ....!I do not think Volant even tried this on a 04 F150 before they started selling the piece of ....!:'( Good Luck!:)

ABurd13 05-01-2005 07:39 PM

thanks for the heads up man. i was just lookin at those the other day. so scratch that off the mod list

Steina 05-01-2005 07:52 PM

Ruckus -

After your problem with lack of installation instructions and now this, it sounds like EVERYONE needs to scratch Volant from his/her mod list.

Steve

Ruckus 05-01-2005 10:05 PM

I never did get instructions,warranty registration form and some of the hardware that I was shorted for my cold air intake and scoop.They told me they would send these things and never did.I ended up buying things at the hardware store for install.I think Volant would be a good place to start a business?They are nice to you when inquiring about their product.However, after your purchase they are not so nice, starting with the person that answers their phone.I think they need to take a look at ways to make these/their aftermarket items user friendly and some just usable.I hate being stuck with a $129 scoop that will not work because of rubbing on the tire.Beyond that problem with Volant there are little things that could be improved to make for a better install and stay in place after install.One thing they could do is to make/cut their hose/sleeves longer on each end.I had to practically stretch mine to get the clamps to grip the tube underneath the clamp area or they should make the intake tube longer.As of right now I am going to start looking for 2.5 and 4.0 inch inside diamater rubber sleeve hose to replace the .... Volant sent with the air intake.I am constantly adjusting the sleeves on the air intake tube at the throttle body and at the box.I do not think Volant allowed for motor movement.They should make the sleeves longer.Good Luck!

Kemicalburns 05-02-2005 11:52 AM

could it be modified to work better , like maybe adding some additional pipe etc..

Ruckus 05-02-2005 12:57 PM

Oh, there is a way to resolve problem.A smaller pipe/tube should be used between bottom of intake box and scoop at tow hook area.However, I do not have the capabilities to form a reduced size plastic tube.Volant should have made this tried and tested before putting it on the market.$129 DOWN THE DRAIN!:-fire :-X09 :-arrgh :-hair :'( :-X16Yes,I am running the BFG Rugged Trail stock tires.

Kemicalburns 05-02-2005 12:58 PM

are you running the stock tires. its possible they didnt take into account the use of larger tires when developing the product.