Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   shocks for 1994 f150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/371163-shocks-for-1994-f150.html)

fordtruck88 05-01-2005 11:47 AM

shocks for 1994 f150

I have a 1994 f150 reg. cab 4X2. I need shocks and was loking at monroe shocks. has anyone used these and liked them before? if not, what brand did you use. im not looking for a lift or anything8D , just a good regluar height shock
thanks
:-X25

Popa Tim 05-01-2005 06:26 PM

Which monroe shock? and what type of driving do you do?
Off roading would require a different type of shock than a strictly asphault one.
In the meantime, I've heard some really good things about Monroe's Radix line of shocks. I have been considering putting them on my wifes car.

Cheers,
Popa Tim

Dad's Truck 05-01-2005 06:40 PM

I put Gabriel Ultra LT shocks on my '92, and I like them a lot. And at $26 each (minus my discount), not a bad deal. Lifetime warranty and all, through AutoZone.

Putting rotors and pads on tomorrow...

924x2150 05-01-2005 08:02 PM

I am unhappy with sears sensatracs all around on my 92 4x2 F150. The handling is good, but they do not stop all the little bumps in the road from annoying me. I can literally feel each 1/4 inch wide crack, bump, or hole. Poorly paved roads are the worst. When I drive home from Work and I'm tired it really bugs me to get bounced around so much. These are the second set of shocks I owned, the Ford factory shocks felt fine until they started leaking, then I put the sensatracs on and was immediately unhappy, I waited for them to break in, with no luck, and then complained to Sears, they said I had the right shocks, but a few people here at FTE said they are passenger car shocks and are underated for my truck.
Remember, they are called "shock absorbers" you do not want to feel every pothole, it ain't fun.

fordtruck88 05-01-2005 10:11 PM

[QUOTEWhich monroe shock? and what type of driving do you do?
Off roading would require a different type of shock than a strictly asphault one.
In the meantime, I've heard some really good things about Monroe's Radix line of shocks. I have been considering putting them on my wifes car.

Cheers,
Popa Tim
[/QUOTE]]
I was thinking the sensormatic ( i think its called that) i do mostly unloaded city driving.
thanks for the replies
:-X25

sixstick94 05-01-2005 10:17 PM

I work at sears as a technician and we have had complaints about sensa-trac truck shocks being too stiff of ride. I purchased monroe gasmatics from sears and they work great, cheaper than sensatracs too. Also on my ranger I used the Gabriels from autozone, they work well too, but then again my ranger has really stiff aftermarket springs so they don't travel much.

924x2150 05-02-2005 07:11 PM

sixstick94, that is my problem exactly. I thought Monroe and sensatrac were the same, or built by the same company!

sixstick94 05-02-2005 11:51 PM

Sensatrac and Gasmatic are both models of shocks from Monroe, the gasmatics are considerably cheaper and I have no complaints with them. (As a sidenote, my F150 had sensatracs on it before, but they were worn and I got the gasmatics at 50 bucks for the set of 4 when they were on sale)

grantorino74 05-05-2005 08:42 AM

Shocks

SIXSTICK94 - I looked on the MONROE.COM site and they had a "GAS-MAGNUM" shock used for mid to full size "hard working" trucks and also a "MONRO-MATIC PLUS" which is a nitogen-gas charged shock. They did not have a "GASMATIC" shock. I believe they discontinued that shock or redesigned it a little and now call it something else. Do you know what it is called now? I just use my 94 150 for in town driving and do now want to stiff of a ride. I still have the original ford shocks which are now leaking. I think these leaking shocks cause the front end to shimy when I stop a little hard on a rough road. I have new brakes/rotors on the front so I am guessing it is the shocks as everything else checks out ok.

gresebaul 05-06-2005 08:05 PM

Two years ago, got a set of Monroe Sensa Trac shocks ( all four wheels) installed at Sears. They really helped the handling and only firmed up the ride a little. Cost $36.99 ea. with free instillation. I'm happy with them. Regards, gresebaul

Popa Tim 05-06-2005 08:23 PM

my bad... its not radix , its monroe Reflex shocks. They supposedly respond 100x faster than their sensotrak line.

sixstick94, have you had any experience with these?

95_4x4_jay 05-06-2005 09:00 PM

What about Ranchero or some other brands?
I do 95% paved road.
I would like a soft gentle ride for once. I feel everything.

Also my truck has two shocks per side in the front. Do most have that setup?

88F-150pimp 05-09-2005 10:09 AM

I have these CarQuest VST shocks. They were like $35 apiece and are supposed to have some valving that changes with terrain. They ride pretty nice on my wasboard and pothole gravel road, at least better than anything else except ultra soft supension old-people cars. They are decent on pavement. I like them.