Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Powerstroke white smoke and loss of power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/367245-powerstroke-white-smoke-and-loss-of-power.html)

cowboykb 04-17-2005 09:23 PM

Powerstroke white smoke and loss of power

MY 94.5 psd has had an ongoing problem. I will run fine a idle or on flat ground (with a little white blueish smoke). If I rev the throttle up the smoke increases. If I am traveling down the road the smoke increases. If I put it under a load (pulling a trailer, traveling up hill) the truck losses power and sputters. It has died completely. I have put in a cmp sensor, fuel pump, main engine wiring harness (plug at the valve cover was badly burnt), valve covers, injector wiring harness. The truck ran fine before no warnings. Any help would be greatly appericated. The truck is stock except for a pcm out of a 97 psd. Thanks

ltfox 04-17-2005 09:30 PM

Sounds like you may have injector o-rings gone bad. Do you use much oil?? Pull the fuel filter, if its oily black, it a very good possiblity. Isn't too tough to fix, just gotta pull all eight injectors and re-ring em.

touchofgrey 04-17-2005 09:34 PM

kb....have you been able to read any codes? I believe your truck has an injector pump doesn't it? If so, I'd start with a fuel pressure check.....I think it's being starved. When is the last time the fuel filter was checked? See if the filter is blue or black in color. This might indicate injector o-ring leaks. Hope this helps. More views are on the way.

cowboykb 04-17-2005 09:36 PM

I dont really know I have had it on the road much because of the problems. I only have about 100 mi. since I changed the oil. At this point in time none but I will keep my eye on it. Also when I did change my oil it was very thin I had only about 2000 mi. on that oil change I was deffinetly thinner than normal. I had the code read when this started cmp code pop up and injectors 1&3 but that is all. I did also replace those injectors. I think???? The front two on the passenger side.

ltfox 04-17-2005 09:38 PM

How about the fuel filter. If the o-rings are bad the oil (2500psi) will leak over into the fuel(50 psi) and go into a return and you'll see it in the filter. Let us know??

ltfox 04-17-2005 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by touchofgrey
kb....have you been able to read any codes? I believe your truck has an injector pump doesn't it? If so, I'd start with a fuel pressure check.....I think it's being starved. When is the last time the fuel filter was checked? See if the filter is blue or black in color. This might indicate injector o-ring leaks. Hope this helps. More views are on the way.

94 PSD would'nt have a injector pump.......

StraightlineInc 04-17-2005 09:48 PM

A few injectors could be stuck open.

cowboykb 04-17-2005 10:04 PM

There is a bit of black on the fuel filter but not much, near the top of the filter. I just looked at it, also when I drained the fuel bowl there was a gurgling sound from that area. could i have an air leak?

barebackjake 04-17-2005 10:20 PM

the gurgling is normal when your drainin the filter bowl. sounds like injector orings to me also.

elginitis 04-18-2005 12:48 AM

i agree with the o-rings and/or the fuel filter. hope you get it figured out soon!!

swampme 04-18-2005 11:52 AM

I have a "99" F250 with the 7.3 turbo. I was going just fine and then the engine just started to sound a little louder. Not bad louder. When I came to a stop sign, and took off again I had no power, and it seamed to be out of fuel. I turned around and got some fuel, and headed down the road again, and same thing. It idles OK, but could not get past 55 mph. When I got home I checked for water in the fuel filter. after I drained the filter of some fuel, it started fine so I backed out of the driveway, got down the street and it shut down like it was out of fuel. That was the last time I heared it run. What could the problem be.

elginitis 04-18-2005 09:19 PM

try changing the fuel filter, or air filter, when it could be the cps

swampme 04-19-2005 07:55 AM

Down and without my truck

I changed the fuel filter yesterday after work and found That didn't fix the prob. I also changed the air filter. I spoke to another FTE and he told me that he had a problem like this one, and he had to change the cam sensor on the fuel distribubter. It sounds like it could be the culprit but I would like to know how I can check it to determin if it is bad. Do you know? It gives me a bad feeling deep in my gut when I can't figure out what is wrong with something :-X16 . Where is the cam sensor anyway? :-huh

TYlerBurgert 11-02-2008 12:47 AM

Swampe, I know this thread is a tad old, but if you never found an answer, (which I'm sure you have) but i figure I'd throw my knowledge into it just for the heck of it. I have a 97 250, and a 00 450, my 450 did the same thing your truck did, and I thought it was out of gas, but that didnt work. TUrns out the truck was out of oil, and the computer has a low oil shutoff, and it will kill the motor after a few minutes and not let it start again.

wigpescador 03-25-2010 05:44 PM

So what was the problem? Did you ever fix it? Mine is doing the same thing.