Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   tired of the drunken monkey (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/365246-tired-of-the-drunken-monkey.html)

sparky30_06 04-11-2005 07:32 AM

tired of the drunken monkey

well with spring here and summer around the corner work has increased on project "bad farm truck" with the flat bed almost done, and money running out, i figured i should fix the little steering problem. there is ALOT of play in the steering box and never messed with one i figured i'd ask for help. Classic Performance Products, Inc. sells rebuild kits that have the worm gear and shaft, bearings and races, sector roller gear, sector bushings, sector seal, adjusting screw with lock nut and a complete gasket set for $259. OR they sell Rebuilt boxes with exchange with a LIFETIME warranty for $450 with exchange or $550 outright. has anyone rebuilt there box?? how hard is it?? has anyone delt with these folks?? they also have a nice front disk set up that retains your orginal 5 on 5 1/2 that someday i hope to get.

Earl 04-11-2005 07:57 AM

A number of us have rebuilt our steering boxes, but there is more to it, as usual.

First off, click on the search button above, then on advanced search. Select the 1948-1960 forum in the list box on the lower right side. Then enter a search phrase like "steering box" (with the quotes), or +steering +rebuild and do the search. You should find a bunch of threads that discuss the pros and cons of rebuilding or buying a rebuilt box. They also have detailed information on what parts you likely need, prices, and some sources. Finally, they discuss all the other stuff you need to refurbish to make the steering work the way it was intended to 50 years ago. Things like spring shackle bushings, tie rod ends, king pins and bushings, etc. Fixing your steering box may provide a good bit of help with the drunken monkey, but the other items are probably just as important.

If you want a narrative on rebuilding a steering box, several members have put one together. Click on the Earl's World link in my signature block below and look at page 8 for a description of my adventure with the steering box rebuild.

4tl8ford 04-11-2005 12:31 PM

Please do PREZACTLY, as George said. It is THE only way.

Earl 04-11-2005 05:57 PM

Now Dick, if I didn't already know you were a crazy old coot like me, I'd be thinkin' you was needlin' me. Either that, or you were practicing your lines for a grade B horror movie where they're deciding the best way to defeat the monster and get rid of all the non-essential characters at the same time.

"We all must do exactly as Brad says. It's the only way to kill off Buffy and Miguel and destroy Beastroid." :rolleyes:

4tl8ford 04-11-2005 06:13 PM

George

Excisley, you took the words right outa my mouth.

Which post? we're talking Stocker Front Ends. Has anyone seen my Soapbox?

sparky30_06 04-11-2005 08:40 PM

well that search function is a nice feathure IF you have a good connection but out here in farm country on a good day i might get 24.0 kbps and if it rains i can talk to the neighbors without dialing there number or i loose phone totally and no there is no wireless in my area either or cable. so after spending about 30 mins trying the search i have give'n up. got tired of read'n about stuff on converting to power steering and that just ain't gona happen. so if anyone would like to share there experiance on this endever and how it turned out that would be great.

Madathlon 04-11-2005 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sparky30_06
well that search function is a nice feathure IF you have a good connection but out here in farm country on a good day i might get 24.0 kbps and if it rains i can talk to the neighbors without dialing there number or i loose phone totally and no there is no wireless in my area either or cable. so after spending about 30 mins trying the search i have give'n up. got tired of read'n about stuff on converting to power steering and that just ain't gona happen. so if anyone would like to share there experiance on this endever and how it turned out that would be great.

Hey Sparky.. Earl does have about the best Ins on how to rebuild a Manual steering box I have seen in a long time.. it worth the tine to read it.. Or you could just buy a build book for yours... I believe the site sponser whould have a few on hand..

reamer 04-11-2005 09:07 PM

Just did mine, Pretty easy! just getting the worm pre-load right using the gaskets takes time.

sparky30_06 04-11-2005 09:32 PM

reamer where did you get your parts from?

abe 04-11-2005 09:54 PM

I got my parts from Job Lot out of NYC. Don't have their number handy right now, but here is thier website: http://joblotauto.com/

good luck, abe

reamer 04-11-2005 10:15 PM

Got mine from Chucks Trucks.

AXracer 04-12-2005 11:24 AM

just put in the Toyota manual box then, same install as the power steering box less the pump and hoses. Cheaper and far better than rebuilding the horse and buggy days designed OEM box. You'll thank me later!

sparky30_06 04-13-2005 07:36 AM

tell me more about the toyota Manual box all i have read about is the power toyota steering box??? lord knows i don't keep things stock but try to. only concern is how durable is the toyota box?? i have ALOT of weight up front.

AXracer 04-13-2005 04:03 PM

The box is used on the 4x4 pickup and was designed for off road use so strength is not an issue. It is the same physical size (small) as the power box so it uses the same conversion mount, U joint and pitman arm. If you ever decide you want power steering just swap in the PS box, pump and hoses and away you go. The Toy box is a modern recirculating ball design rather than the horse and buggy worm and sector of the OEM, is quicker ratio, and much less steering effort. The manual boxes should be pretty inexpensive (free-100.00) as well.

sparky30_06 04-13-2005 04:22 PM

which years truck?? also where did you get the conversion mount, u joint and pitman arm??