Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Best use for 40/20/40 'secret compartment' (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/363765-best-use-for-40-20-40-secret-compartment.html)

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 10:59 PM

Carguy1959, look at the front of the space, and look at the carpet. It covers the module. The module is below the floor.
My amp is stashed under the black surround below the center piece, but it does look like a great place for one. I think you might want to put in a small 12volt computer type fan if you put in a 300+ amp. Close to the Subwoofer too.
Chris

rambunctious 04-07-2005 08:10 AM

I use this space for my jumper cables, my second drawbar, two extra pins, and three tie down strapes :-D

I have the audiophile with sub so this is the only storage space i have. (plus I am an engineer at the company that designed and builds the seats... so I knew it was there :rolleyes:

now if a guy made a locking release lever with key????? hmmmmmmmm
could that qualify for safe storage of firearm :-X01 ???? or contraban :-rip

Ramb

ChrisAdams 04-07-2005 10:21 AM

Hi rambunctious, Any clue where a person could buy parts for the seats? Ford says the people who make them don't sell parts, or allow Ford to buy parts.
I'm working on a power seat out of a Supercrew that needs one of the threaded rods that move the seat back and forth. I going to straghten in, but would rather just replace it.
Any information on who sell the parts would be great.
Chris

rambunctious 04-07-2005 10:41 AM

We manufacture the seats and seat tracks. unfortunatly we don't sell parts and pieces. I would think that we can supply a seat track as a service part to the dealer but not a threaded rod unfortunatly. we are a $25billion company ( big place around here) ( we also make the overhead system and overhead rail in the F150 too btw.

is it an 04 seat? warranty won't cover it? straitening will be the cheapest, junk yard seat track second if you can find one, and seat track assembly service part the third choice maybe.

hope this helps some....

Ramb

ChrisAdams 04-07-2005 11:07 AM

OK rambunctious, just thought I would ask.

Well, hate to have to, but I can straighten it. This was a seat that was shipped by UPS and the shipper foolishly ran the seat all the way forward before it was shipped. That makes the rear end stick out, vulnerable.
Naturally it got dropped about a foot and the impact bent the threaded shaft. I straightened it, almost right and it works fine, but makes a small thump at the end of travel, as the bent end swings around till the rubber cap on the end hits the channel. I just like to replace things like that, rather than repair, if I have a choice. Not a biggie, more work to pull the seat than to straighten the rod. The seat tracks disassemble rather easily, and are a snap to work on.
Thanks anyway,
Chris

bossracer 04-22-2005 04:17 PM

Very cool

I just discovered the compartment. Thank you Chris. I put jumper cables, tie down straps, and my satelite radio control head in there. And there is still some room.

Dan

2nd_wnd 04-22-2005 07:02 PM

it's a good place to stash small gifts for your wife or g/f too

blue 2004 FX4 04-23-2005 12:58 AM

Mounted my capacitor in there, small glow from neon light shows out at night, amp is too big to fit there.

JohnnyBoy 04-23-2005 04:39 PM

I miss the old cherokee back seats, whole thing lifted up on hinges. If you diddnt have one, you probably diddnt know it was there. Lots of storage in the floor pan, for..you know...stuff...

ChrisAdams 04-23-2005 07:31 PM

Forgot about that seat thing in the Cherokee. I had one and one time I had an envelope containing A Very large sum of money. (more in cash than my truck cost..., and this was more than ten years ago...) and had to stash it somewhere. Under that seat it went. Had to leave it in Pasadena for six hours. Bit worried, but it was fine.

No I wasn't buying drugs or something. A nice gun collection was for sale, (estate sale) and the sweet old lady would only take cash, in the lobby of her bank.
I didn't get it, another guy had 32k in his money belt, and was the top bidder.
Good deal, less than a fourth what it was worth. I did get to help pack and load the guns. Not as much fun as getting to take them home....
Chris

Crawler 04-24-2005 01:32 PM

Every now and then I find a post on here like this one. That is to say a post that provides useful information that one can't find anywhere else.

I never would have guessed that compartment was there in a million years!

Great Post!!!

STJones 04-24-2005 05:10 PM

Am I the only one who hasn't figured this out yet? Chris would you mind posting some pictures for those who can't figure this out without destroying their seat? Sounds like a cool idea!

ChrisAdams 04-24-2005 05:46 PM

This just isn't a picture thing. Do you have the 40,20,40 seat? Not the 'two buckets' and a console?
Sit in the drivers seat. Raise the center armrest/drinkholder/seatback. Lock it in place. Be sure nothing is setting on the 20 center seat. Reach under the front of the center seat, and grasp the seat cushion at it's bottom. Pull up sharply, Seat will pop off. Look at the two 'prongs' that insert in the seat when you put it back.
Under there is carpet, with a square cut in one end. Under the square cut is the airbag module. Be kind to that, don't spill anything into it, don't put a strong electric charge into it, etc. Use space for non wet things.
I think this will get you there. If not, I will take a couple of pics, but now isn't a good time. My photographer has a headache.
Chris

ChrisAdams 04-24-2005 07:43 PM

Got some photos, my wife felt better and took a couple shots. She doesn't let me use either of her cameras. Doesn't trust me not to mod them...

anyway, here is a superchips laying in the compartment.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=75274&.jpg

For scale
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=75277&.jpg

The seat laying on the front carpet, note the male blades
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=75275&.jpg

STJones 04-25-2005 10:55 AM

Thanks Chris! Pictures explain it very well. Yes I have the right seat, I was pulling on the wrong thing - don't tell my wife!