Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Best use for 40/20/40 'secret compartment' (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/363765-best-use-for-40-20-40-secret-compartment.html)

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 02:56 PM

Best use for 40/20/40 'secret compartment'

There is a small (very small) area under the 20% seat bottom cushion. Pop your center seat (if you have the 40-20-40) by pulling up sharply on the front of the cushion.
It reveals a carpeted space about twice as big as a single din radio. Under the patch of carpet is your 'restraint control module'. Don't be messing with that, please.

You wouldn't want to be yanking the seat cushion in and out daily, but there is a useful looking patch of space under there. About 4-500 cubic inches, total. Not enough room to mount a small Subwoofer. Or much of anything else.
Still, should be enough for handbooks, seldom used maps, or something. Things you want with you, but don't want in the glove compartment, or flip up compartment.

Has anybody found a good use for this?
Please, no 60's 'stash' jokes, thank you.

Chris,
who hates wasted space, even between ears...

Monsta 04-06-2005 03:29 PM

You mean it just pops off!?

One of the things I like about the Dodge's is that the seat cusion hinges to reveal a great storage area...and their seat is larger...

I'm gonna have to check it out. Could be a good place for emergency stuff. :-X22

Thanks!

JoeKramer 04-06-2005 03:40 PM

I'm wondering if that modual could be moved? I am thinking of modifying all that area for a sub. I have found a few that only require .6 cubic feet sealed.

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 04:00 PM

Darn Joe, that was my idea, but I don't think it can be done. While it measures .3 cubic feet, it's very uneven, and you would have to put in some wood, etc. for sound reflection. Best size I came up with was 300 cubic inches, or 1/6 of a cubic foot. Not too cool. I have a 6.5 inch woofer sitting here, new, with no place to put it. I use an 8 inch in the truck, but was willing to drop to 6.5, to get the square foot of space behind the seat back.

Oh well, probably make up an emergency kit, like Monsta said.

I think I would rather perform self dentistry than mess with remounting that module....

One cool thing, Small holes in the 'front' of that metal support for switches, would give you a hidden place to mount a switch or two. Dunno what for, yet, but I might think of something.

Chris

JoeKramer 04-06-2005 04:40 PM

Well I would have done up a fiberglass insert for the cabinet. Thats along my thinking. But even with .3 cubic feet it might still work, just would have a little less tone maybe. Ya would have to be carfull of the power you put in that one though as the back pressure isn't what they designed the speaker for of course.

3fan 04-06-2005 07:08 PM

OK, maybe Im missing something. My "20" on my 40-20-40 doesnt pop-up. Can anyone snap a picture of this for me?

'05 F150 STX

bobbylh 04-06-2005 07:41 PM

Figures a post like this would come up, right after I installed my new seat covers.

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 07:59 PM

3fan, I don't have a 2005, just a 2004, so maybe they changed it. Kinda doubt it, though. With the armrest\seat back up and locked, try reaching under the front of the center seat, and grasping the cushion. Give a firm, not hard yank up, and it should pop loose. Unless they changed something that year, who knows?
Chris

BigMikeF150 04-06-2005 08:36 PM

Neat! I just tried it on my 05 F150. I did not expect the whole cushion to pop off I thought it would hindge up but it's a neat place for my .45

Mike

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 08:39 PM

Yes BigMike, but unless you live in God's Country (anywhere you can get a CCW) keep in mind most cops will know it's there.
It's perfect for an Officer's model and a Bulldog, in soft cases. Tried them out yesterday.
Chris

JohnBoy2 04-06-2005 08:44 PM

ChrisAdams,

I'm not so sure most cops will know it's there. I've been driving it for over a year, and I didn't know it was there. :)

John

ChrisAdams 04-06-2005 09:02 PM

I know what you mean, JohnBoy2, but I recall in the dark ages, about 1969, I was riding bikes. Had a Triumph, and it had a great place to hide a stash. I was shown it by a old biker, and sworn to secrecy about it's location. I didn't use the stuff, but thought it was cool. One day a few weeks later I got stopped. The Bonnie was too loud. No big thing in those days. As I was standing there, the younger of the two cops casually pulled out the hidden hiding place and checked it. It was in the top of the gastank, and he could open in better than I could. Sorta glad I didn't do anything but beer, and that only when the bike was put away.
Chris

mkoser 04-06-2005 09:58 PM

Cops know it is there...
I read about it in an officer's safety bulletin, and showed the rest of the guys.

:)

MK

JoeKramer 04-06-2005 10:07 PM

Now a days just get an old burned out audio amp and use the casing to make a hidden place. Do it in such a way that you need to know where the 'remote release' is to open it. ;)

Carguy1959 04-06-2005 10:51 PM

I just went out and tried it on my 04 FX4 screw. Pops right up and out. No module. Looks like a great place to put a sub amp though......