Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   Dollar Day (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/363197-dollar-day.html)

frederic 04-04-2005 10:55 PM

Dollar Day

While Harry's U-Pull-It out in PA hasn't announced it yet, every June they have a "dollar day extravaganza" at either their pennsburg or their hazeltown PA locations.

Essentially, they charge you a $20 cover to walk in, and every part is a dollar. So while they go out of their way to nickel and dime you, a pair of leather power seats from a town car would be $4 each. $1 for the seat, $1 for the tracks, $1 for the switches, and $1 for the power seat motor. Still, not a bad deal.

If you get there early enough, you'll actually find cars with parts on them :) By the end of the day, all you see are shells. This is how they clear out their yards, I think.

Anyway, I go every year with a long list of stuff I want for my projects, then I walk around and find stuff to sell on e-bay, or neat stuff I want to take home and dissect to see how it works then sell on ebay :D

While their truck collections are not as large as the car sections, if you need anything at all, its a fun time for all. Last year they even had bikini girls in workboots shooting customers with water pistols while you work. They were pretty skanky but the water felt good anyway considering how hot it was.

So, if anyone wants to make a trip out of this, I'll post the time/date once harry's makes that available, and we can either meet there (I'll provide directions), or if anyone who would be passing me anyway to get there, can either carpool in my truck (I might have a dash in by then....) or we could play follow the leader.

When I mentioned this at the last lunch I went to, several of you seemed interested. Their inventory constantly changes so we find out what is there when we get there. Last year I scored double alternator, double AC compressor configuration for a 460... out of an ambulance. Also snagged spare rotors for my crewcab which had plenty of meat left on them. In fact, the tires on my truck were from dollar day. $1 a tire, $1 a rim. Swapped the tires on my rims, and sold the junkyard rims on ebay for $5 a pop.

Sorry I babbled... for me this is adult interaction. I spend most of the day making faces at my newborn son.

JoeBlow 04-05-2005 03:32 PM

Please let me know. i am dying to find a junkyard after moving up here in November of last year.

frederic 04-05-2005 05:42 PM

Oh, there are junkyards here and there in NJ. I'm probably 20 minutes from you, and there's one about 10 minutes from me. They have some trucks and vans too, but not a plethora of them.

There's also one off route 46 in Pine Brook, about 45 minutes from me also (probably about 35 for you...) and they have a few trucks, but not too many, but that yard is very poorly laid out. The terrain is odd and no matter where you walk, you're walking on tires, doors, interior panels, grilles, etc. Not sure if they clean it at all, but they do have a ton of cars. The yard by me is tiny, very tiny. They stack up rather than out.

I'll take you to either if you want the lay of the land...

JoeBlow 04-06-2005 12:31 AM

I used to live within 20 minutes of 2 very nice yards. several acres each. Lots of cars, over a thousand in each. All seperated by make. either GM, Ford, Chrysler, Import. Always at least 15 f-series trucks. Models ranged from late 70's to mid 90's. $1 admission and prices were good too. Complete engines for $99+core. Transmissions were 75. Got my bench seat from a 93 F350 for 12 bucks. And they have a if they can't name it, it is free policy.

I guess I am kinda spoiled.

Seeing as how i constantly stay lost when ever I drive around here, I'd be glad to get some help finding some places to shop. I need a few things for my 79 F100

frederic 04-06-2005 07:52 AM

The yard "around the corner" is mostly 80's and early 90's stuff, though the truck section has some older stuff. I haven't seen any 70's trucks in there in a long time, but I'd guess that later year stuff (axle, trannys etc) fit. Depends what you need. The other, larger "mess" yard is off route 46... but I'd be happy to show you that place as well.

I'm in colonia, NJ. If you like traffic lights you can take 440 or 278 west to route 1 and 9 south, almost down to my house (about 30 minutes). Or, you can toss yourself on route 95 (the turnpike), head south to exit 11 which is the garden state parkway, then head NORTH three exits and you're again almost at my door.

With a newborn in the house, my wife and I take turns... I'm "off duty" every day between noon and five PM weekdays and weekends, so if you want... be happy to show you around. You're welcomed to stop by earlier, but I'll have an infant on my lap LOL.

kevincw 04-06-2005 09:05 PM

I would like to attend the dollar day sale. Maybe if were invited to a meeting at your house, we can set up items to be purchased for future events (dash day, turbo bumber installation day, carb. to fuel injection seminar).

frederic 04-06-2005 09:15 PM

Dollar day isn't at my house, its out in PA :)

Though every year I host a huge car-related BBQ weekend, and typically friends from two email lists I host come, some of which bring their significant others, some stay over, and my wife and I put on a huge feast. Sometimes we build stuff as a group, sometimes we just swim in the pool and tell "tall tails". Last year was a smaller group because of the fliooding/storm in the midwest, so five of us spent the weekend tuning the code in a trans-am. Couple of years ago one list member from England flew out! People someitmes bring stuff to sell, last year I think about $1500 worth of stuff changed hands, mostly in trade. Lot of fun... good people... good party. Of course you're invited!

As far as a "regular" meeting, I can host one of those too... as long as the weather is nice for a mid-day BBQ. Bring beer.

Oh, and come the time when I'm putting in the twin-turbo stroker... I do expect a showing of some of you. Extra hands in exchange for beer/steaks and good cheer is a good thing :-D

kevincw 04-06-2005 09:22 PM

Always willing to turn wrenches, sounds like loads of fun. Notify me (us) when the time comes. Don't forget baby gifts everyone.

frederic 04-07-2005 08:30 AM

Apparently we can't directly link pictures in this forum.... interesting... anyway, the twin-throttle body plenum construction has started :)

http://www.midimonkey.com/~frederic/...s/IM000990.JPG
http://www.midimonkey.com/~frederic/...s/IM000991.JPG
http://www.midimonkey.com/~frederic/...s/IM000992.JPG

JoeBlow 04-07-2005 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by frederic
The yard "around the corner" is mostly 80's and early 90's stuff, though the truck section has some older stuff. I haven't seen any 70's trucks in there in a long time, but I'd guess that later year stuff (axle, trannys etc) fit. Depends what you need. The other, larger "mess" yard is off route 46... but I'd be happy to show you that place as well.

I'm in colonia, NJ. If you like traffic lights you can take 440 or 278 west to route 1 and 9 south, almost down to my house (about 30 minutes). Or, you can toss yourself on route 95 (the turnpike), head south to exit 11 which is the garden state parkway, then head NORTH three exits and you're again almost at my door.

With a newborn in the house, my wife and I take turns... I'm "off duty" every day between noon and five PM weekdays and weekends, so if you want... be happy to show you around. You're welcomed to stop by earlier, but I'll have an infant on my lap LOL.

Help getting around would be great. I am going back home for a few days tomorrow thru tuesday. Maybe wed. afternoon we could meet up and go for a ride? I have 2 little girls myself so I completely understand taking care of kids :)

Which reminds me, if anyone needs anything oddball, I'll be going to the yards in Richmond Va and looking around. I can pick up small stuff, nothing big.

msurie 04-07-2005 04:08 PM

Hey Joe, If its not to much trouble I'm looking for headliner out of a 99-04 F250/F350 superduty crewcab, I know it maybe a big item! so I would not expect you to pick it up, just let me know if anyone has it on hand. I'm looking at do doing a fiberglass project involving a 8" monitor

JoeBlow 04-07-2005 04:56 PM

I can guarantee I wont find that. The yards i frequent only go up to 94-95 or so.

Have you tried www.car-part.com?

msurie 04-08-2005 06:31 AM

I've tried Car-part but was hoping to get one used. thanks anyway

JoeBlow 04-08-2005 07:53 AM

Everything on car-part is recycled parts. Only bad thing is you have to sift through 100 pages of miscelanous(sp?) interior trim items. But I have had good success with using it. rear trac loc 9" axle for 75 bucks.

Frederic,

Seems I will be out of town till the following week. I'll be back on Monday the 18th. Maybe we can set something up then.

frederic 04-10-2005 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by JoeBlow
I can guarantee I wont find that. The yards i frequent only go up to 94-95 or so.

What junkyards do YOU visit? I've seen exactly THREE 92-96 body style broncos/pickups in junkyards within 2 hours of my house. And I raped them all ha ha ha!