Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   Predict SD Hybrid before 2008 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/359007-predict-sd-hybrid-before-2008-a.html)

howardlj 03-23-2005 10:28 PM

Predict SD Hybrid before 2008

I predict that a new generation F-series truck will employ a V8 or V10 coupled up to an electric motor before 2008. They are coming and will reduce our dependence on gasoline. I see that Toyota will introduce a hybrid for the Lexus in the near future. There will need to be light weight batteries in order to keep the weight down . There are rumors that after the Lexus, Toyota will bring out a Tundra hybrid.

Here's the $64,000 question. Would you SD owners be caught with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton hybrid or would you want to be a purist and buy only a fossil fuel engine? Not sure what the $$$ difference would be though.

olfordsnstone 03-23-2005 10:32 PM

If it were affordable, and the power was there when I needed it, I would definately wish to employ anything to reduce our need for foreign oil. I would need the power when I did hit the accellerator though. While cruising, I could give a hoot if that power was there or not. If they could do all that, yes, yes in deed.

7pt3 03-23-2005 10:44 PM

Yes, they're coming.

No, I doubt it'll be by 08 (the 06's are already on their way to production), but probably by 2010 or so. Soon, anyway.

Yes, the imports will probably lead the way. Again.

Yes, I'd be interested in one, on three conditions:
(1) I could wait and get one a couple years old, I never buy new.
(2) The performance was at least comparable to my PowerStroke.
(3) Something (I don't know what) is done to eliminate a $10k battery replacement at ten years old. And no, selling it at nine years old is not a solution.

Robert

theshyguy 03-23-2005 10:50 PM

I dont why anyone wouldnt.

ATVer1992 03-23-2005 10:58 PM

Hydrogen powered internal combustion engines :-D More power, 100% Clean Burning, NO ELECTRICITY POWER!!!!

Pocket 03-23-2005 10:59 PM

I think it would be awesome if we could all get hybrid PSD's and run on 100% bio-diesel. French fry smelling exhaust and twice the milage. I'd buy one.

bdjupiter 03-23-2005 11:07 PM

If the mileage was there (IE: no recharge needed)
If the low end torque was there, and it got up and went when I needed it to I would love to help out and keep a few arabs from buying a bigger palace.

ATVer1992 03-23-2005 11:11 PM

I never want to putt along silently in a elelctric vehicle. I gotta have the roar of a engine. Hydrogen, Hydrogen, Hydrogen :cool:

MadMedic20 03-24-2005 03:14 AM

If it has the power my V10 has and doesnt need to stop (recharges) more than my V10 does than bring it on. A cool exhaust note would be good as well.

boxcar1974 03-24-2005 03:31 AM

The hybrid escape went from $22k to $33k for a hybrid. So a super duty at $40k to $53k for a gasser and $63k for a diesel. Well, it would take alot of convincing for me to ever consider one at those prices. And that's at 2005 prices, who knows in 2010.

Frobozz 03-24-2005 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ATVer1992
Hydrogen powered internal combustion engines :-D More power, 100% Clean Burning, NO ELECTRICITY POWER!!!!

Clean burning at the car, very dirty and inefficient back at the hydrogen plant! Until they come up with the large-scale fix for that end of the equation, we're just fooling ourselves with Hydrogen cars. (It just moves the pollution to someone else's back yard.)

Duncan

ATVer1992 03-24-2005 06:24 AM

electrolosys powered by electricity generated using solar power, that's pretty clean to me

Frobozz 03-24-2005 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ATVer1992
electrolosys powered by electricity generated using solar power, that's pretty clean to me

Note the phrase "large-scale" in my previous statement. By that line of thinking we should already be powering our whole grid by solar power instead of these silly coal/hydro/nuclear plants.

Duncan

SLE 03-24-2005 06:49 AM

I think anything to loosen the oil companies grip on us. I mean they can virtually charge anything they want and many of us have to have it no matter the price. Just a side note A 50 million dollar Bio-Diesel plant was just approved for construction here in ND, only makes sense since we produce a large amount of soybeans used for the prodution of bio diesel. Also I think what the manufacturese need to do move towards E85 production. I've heard all of the stories but I'm convinced that if the car companies could build an engine exclusicly for E85 and not one that has to run on 87 octane that the performance, economy and obvously polution would all be better than our current Dino burners. I think the key to building a motor exclusivly for E85 is to have an excellent lubercation system and to have compression to match the octane of the fuel. I mean E85 is 85% corn Alcohol. Last time I checked every alcohol burning engine that I've ever seen has high compression but burns a little lean, ie the need for a good oiling system. Plus corn can be grown in nearly every state and its as replenishable as we want it to be. I think this is more logical and economical than the electric or hydrogen cars, and the solar would be great but your basically back to the problems of electric cars with batteries, weight and such. What do you guys think of the Bio-Diesel and E85 Idea???

theshyguy 03-24-2005 08:13 AM

BD and E are both great ideas. I want to invest in some biodiesel companys but cant find any right now. And E is still too expensive, but maybe it can be reduced.