Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Regular gasoline at $3.20 per gallon (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/356578-regular-gasoline-at-3-20-per-gallon.html)

howardlj 03-17-2005 11:01 AM

Regular gasoline at $3.20 per gallon

I'm not but is anyone reconsidering or thinking they wouldn't have bought a SD if you knew that oil is approaching 58$/bbl today? To make matters worse the price is expected to reach 80$/bbl by 3Q2005!!! That corresponds to $3.20 per gallon for regular gas and even more for diesel. To go to my grocery store 8 miles down the road and back will cost me nearly a "fiver"!

wlihntr 03-17-2005 11:33 AM

i just read in the paper that gas is already over $3.00 a gal in california "California has the highest gasoline prices in the mainland US., as seen at this Malibu station on Tuesday" and it shows a sign that reads $3.05 and $3.15 per gal (mid grade, high grade)

mattsf250 03-17-2005 12:49 PM

:(

thats what race gas used to cost...

expect the "fuel surcharge" from fedex, and ups to increase, and all the items in your local grocery store to increase............and inflation only rose .1% in 04 ?

LMFAO!

time to pump up my tires and live with the crappy ride again......

howardlj 03-17-2005 01:19 PM

The $3.20 per gallon will be up from the current $1.95 per gallon in central Pa., Therefore in California the price will increase to $4.80 per gallon. I just want to know if this will change anybodys' truck driving habits as a result of these increases. I know that you shouldn't buy a SD for pleasure driving if you can't afford it, BUT that's when gasoline was at sub $2.00 per gallon. If not when will you drive less and take out the ol' (or should I say the new) HYBRID to the grocery store abd just leave the ol' F series trucks in the driveway or garage.

I now just heard on CNN (Clinton News Network) that maybe $80 per barrel of crude oil may be on the conservative side. Maybe it's time to do some more Alaskan drilling and tap into the strategic reserve. The problem is the new global expansion in China. They have potentially 5 times more auto buyers than we have car owners. This will create even more demand of oil and get our price up even higher. What depressing news. Jeff do you have any electric SDs?

jeffwoehrle 03-17-2005 05:13 PM

I can say I"m already making adjustments due to the higher fuel prices. Example: Monday I needed a new fax machine. Rather than drive to Staples (about 25 miles round trip), I ordered one from Quill, along with some other stuff to get the free freight. Last year I wouldn't have thought twice about taking the drive.

Plan on doing that more and more.

$5.00 per gallon isn't that far off (my prediction is before the end of 2009). Demand from developing countries means the end of cheap fuel here. We really did coast by for quite a few years with fuel that was priced well below the inflation rate. Time to pay the piper now.

New drilling in Alaska will perhaps keep that $5.00 fuel from making the leap to $10 for a few years, but it is coming. BONUS: Some natives in Alaska can reap at least some of the benefit of this rather than continuing to send it to the land of the sand.

Maybe I'll get that Harley I've always wanted this year.:-D In the interest of conservation of course...

Photogman 03-17-2005 05:23 PM

I think you are mistaken to believe by buying internet/mail order through Quill, you will not have to pay for the shipment/cost of the gasoline. The surcharge for delivery/gas/diesel will be built into everybody's product or they will be out of bus. Poor Bush wanted to reform Social Security.....by the time his presidency comes to a close, the big issues will be a huge inflation/depression due to the high cost of crude/gas at the pumps and illegal immigration/shoring up of our borders.

China is the biggest threat to our economy due to the huge trade imbalance. It's killing our economy and turning us into a service-oriented nation rather than a manufacturing country.

I just bought my 250SD about a month ago and I only have 600 miles on it. All of our pickups may become show trucks in our garages without that being the original intent. Sorry if I went off topic. As you can tell, I feel very strongly about this. I'm sure glad my pickup was made in Kentucky rather than Mexico as I've heard where som SD's are made.

How many of you think your salaries will keep pace with the same % increase as what fuel is increasing?:rolleyes:

captchas 03-17-2005 05:36 PM

its already hurting me. hope fully the warm waether will be here full time so the sportster can run more for the back and forth to work deal. my v10 emblems are going to change to v8 so the ricers and hemis will leave me alone

SuperDutyChamp 03-17-2005 05:38 PM

5.00 per gallon? No way!!!! Is the Middle East suddenly running out of oil because of China? What about our tax dollars - trillions of which have been dumped into Iraq? Do we get ANY of it back? You can believe China's not going to let us out of our debt to them...

Hows come these "developing countries" suddenly require so much more fuel? Does it have anything to do with American corporations being given incentive and encouragement by our own government to bring industry abroad, thereby creating a cozier lifestyle for those living in said "developing countries" and thereby causing a higher than normal demand for fuel in those countries?

Sorry to sound so negative but I can't see small business survivng 5.00 per gallon. The rest of the economy won't support it for the small guy. People's wages would have to increase by a whole lot so that they could buy the higher cost fuel, higher cost food and clothing, AND could still afford the kind of services offered at a higher price by small businessmen who must now pay more for gas. I doubt wage will raise to commensurate with the rest of inflation. The dollar won't support it. I can suck up MAYBE even as much as 3.00 per gallon (and this is a stretch), but 5 is out of the question, I'll be forced in to walking to Mc'Donalds to work, that's better than working for fuel.

SuperDutyChamp 03-17-2005 05:44 PM

Also, I can imagine the pain this must be causing those who are unfortunate enough to have to spend 30G's on a Harley to get better fuel economy....

Boy the middle class sure is going to be getting weeded out.

Photogman 03-17-2005 06:16 PM

Sorry, but had to jump in again. Some of our problems could be alleviated if we made an effort to buy USA. I agree, it's often hard to find products made here, but if you search hard enough, you can. Secondly, the government (Congress & the Pres) need to support huge tariff increases on goods coming into this country. The REASON there is a need for gas in China is because they are becoming affluent due to us buying all their goods. They are becoming an econmically huge giant and our government is standing idlely by. That is the reason Bush is not putting his foot down on illegal immigrants. He wants them here so our goods will be turned out at lower prices due to them being willing to accept lower wages. I've got a '99 Harley Road King Classic parked in the garage also, but that doesn't get the gas mileage of my beat around car. Maybe I need to break out my Trek bike!

captchas 03-17-2005 10:18 PM

harley

Originally Posted by SuperDutyChamp
Also, I can imagine the pain this must be causing those who are unfortunate enough to have to spend 30G's on a Harley to get better fuel economy....

Boy the middle class sure is going to be getting weeded out.

ever hear of the 883 r nice little bike and 50 mpg.. the other 2 are a 1961 pan head dresser and a 89 1200 sport out to 1500.with a few rising sun flags painted on the fuel tank. gas gets any higher here i'm broke and something gets parked

jeffwoehrle 03-18-2005 02:08 AM

[QUOTE=Photogman]I think you are mistaken to believe by buying internet/mail order through Quill, you will not have to pay for the shipment/cost of the gasoline... [QUOTE]

The price was the same for picking it up at Staples and getting delivery through Quill, so this time it worked out. I do know what you mean, the increased cost of fuel will show up in every product we buy.

The $5.00 per gallon prediction is looking more and more likely to happen BEFORE my stated prediction. The issue is reserves. Discovery of new oil deposits is not now keeping pace with the increase in consumption. Up to the last year or so it had. Supply and demand...

China and other developing nations are now going through what this country went through a hundred years ago. As their economies mature, manufacturing becomes less and less of the economy and it turns more service oriented. Their consumption of oil will balloon with their developing industry. There just isn't that much oil left in the grand scheme of things.

That motorcycle is looking better and better.

NickFordMan 03-18-2005 02:29 AM

Come on guys, $5.00 a gallon? In Canada we are already paying more then 3 dollars a gallon. I just can't see it getting higher then that. The economy wont support it. And if it does, There will have to be new fuels and sources of energy. Bio-diesel is a good alternative, and I've seen hydrogen gas internal combustion engines that would most likely be developed. We can't sit around and let the oil companies do this to us, we have to give them competition. Does anybody see anything wrong with what I'm saying?

keith w 03-18-2005 03:11 AM

I keep hearing in the news that gas prices are not affecting anyone's life. I find it hard to believe that I am the only on living a much more simple lifestyle than I was just a few short years ago. I have quit eating out all together. I used to eat at least one meal out per day, for about the last 17 years. I also basically have no social life. All that money has been traded for gasoline for my business. In a perfect world you can pass on the cost to the customer...things aren't always perfect :-X15

floorshow 03-18-2005 03:58 AM

In Australia we pay over $4 per gallon - you'll learn to live with it.