Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   PCV Vacuum leak at Intake -- cracked 90* rubber Elbow - Cheap and easy fix! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/349770-pcv-vacuum-leak-at-intake-cracked-90-rubber-elbow-cheap-and-easy-fix.html)

mudinford 02-28-2005 09:08 AM

PCV Vacuum leak at Intake -- cracked 90* rubber Elbow - Cheap and easy fix!

Howdy all! Though i would pass on some info of a cheap fix I figured out this weekend while doing spark plugs and a B1S1 O2S on a friends 5.4 expedition (shudder...).

I got it all done and test drove the truck....i found that the truck seemed to surge and want to stall. I also noted a strong hissing coming from under the hood. Vacuum leak! SO i ran my hand all around for a while and finally found where it was coming from. It was that little 90* rubber fitting that converts the 3/8 PCV Line to a lot bigger. Anyway, it is a weak spot for failure...and the rubber was very brittle. SO i though we were screwed as far as getting another fitting. We went to NAPA and inquired about a fix.....and like i though...none was offered...so i went into the back with the parts guy and looked at what he had to see if i could make anything work....then i saw a spark plug sitting on the wall. I noted that the plug side was a 90* rubber boot and the sizes were PERFECT for what i was looking for....so i bought the plug wire for $4 and pulled the boot off. I installed the hose back on the truck and it fit like it was meant to be! SO if you get a vacuum leak at the PCV fitting at the intake....just get a plug wire boot...and save yourself some cash!

LxMan1 02-28-2005 04:18 PM

Yup, that's what I did on my 3.8 Windstar last year, used a 90 deg sparkplug boot. It hasn't failed yet :)

xallxforxchristx 03-04-2005 11:05 PM

huh, that's interesting. I just found out about that little bend tonight, so I'll probably check it sometime tomorrow or next week when I have time off from school for Spring Break. Thanks for suggesting the easy fix.

KE8BG 07-24-2005 09:27 PM

I just found the same elbow on the back side of my 1997 E150 5.4L.. I didn't notice the crack but I noticed that with the engine running the elbow was sucked into collapse.
I used a piece of 5/8" heater hose over a piece of 7/16" fueline with a hose clamp as a reducer. It seems to be running better now..

bigexpo 07-30-2005 09:20 PM

Can Anyone Take A Pic Of It Becasue I Have No Idea Where It Is Theres Like A Cagillion Hoses Under The Hood I Know Its Behind Eh Throttle Body And Thats It

LxMan1 07-31-2005 02:10 PM

Just follow the hose from the PCV valve in the passengerside valve cover to the rear of the intake.

tb40nd 08-05-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigexpo
Can Anyone Take A Pic Of It Becasue I Have No Idea Where It Is Theres Like A Cagillion Hoses Under The Hood I Know Its Behind Eh Throttle Body And Thats It

i've seen a pic of this somewhere... when i find it i'll post it!

tb40nd 08-05-2005 02:01 AM

here it is...

http://www.azda.com/ford/

...this guy had the same problem so just read up and hopefully it'll be what you need.

laterz!

gmiller0737 08-07-2005 07:52 PM

The Dorman Company is coming out with the boot only designed for the 5.4 pcv system

tj0911 08-13-2005 04:38 PM

Just fixed mine too......I have a 97 f250 5.4L. Advanced Auto did not hae the 90 degree boot. They did however have one for a Chrysler that fit perfect. Got a new PCV while I was there. Total cost was $6.38!!!!!

KeithE524 02-02-2006 02:54 PM

I was searching for a similar problem on my 99 Expy 5.4L. The engine idles just fine, but if you press the accelerator hard (even in park) the engine stumbles. The picture below is what I have found so far. It is the elbow going into the side of the intake. Last year, I replaced a couple of COPs, so I cut the boot off one and used that as a replacement. I still have the problem, but I haven't checked the rear hoses yet.
Keith

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=104981&.jpg

jason8225 01-06-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by KE8BG
I just found the same elbow on the back side of my 1997 E150 5.4L.. I didn't notice the crack but I noticed that with the engine running the elbow was sucked into collapse.
I used a piece of 5/8" heater hose over a piece of 7/16" fueline with a hose clamp as a reducer. It seems to be running better now..

About a year ago I did this fix, only I used the 5/8" heater hose over 3/8" fuel line... noticed the hissing noise back earlier last week. Checked it out today and discovered that the 5/8" heater hose had collapsed like it had too much suction.

I guess tomorrow I'll have to either get a spark plug boot, the Ford part, or below.

Here's a question - would this work to fix it?
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...CV%20Connector

Looking at the website linked above, I noticed that my PCV valve does not have a "y", it just has the hose going directly to the back of the intake. Any ideas why that might be or what I might be missing? This was already "fixed" once before I bought the truck, so maybe the person that did something before hooked wherever the other half of that "Y" goes to something else for vacuum?

vze2sgxa 01-07-2008 04:54 AM

When replacing my plugs, I opted to pull the IAC and clean it, and took the opportunity since I was working the back of the engine anyway to inspect this hose and elbow. My was fine, but before I reinstalled it, I cleaned and lubricated the rubber elbow and the pcv end connector and valve cover grommet with silicon grease. I added extra protection to the elbow in back by wrapping it in heat-blocking tape (like you use on water pipes, the wrap-type) and covered that with tight rubber electrical tape. Ain't no heat in the back of the engine gonna crack that elbow now.

jason8225 01-07-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jason8225
Looking at the website linked above, I noticed that my PCV valve does not have a "y", it just has the hose going directly to the back of the intake. Any ideas why that might be or what I might be missing? This was already "fixed" once before I bought the truck, so maybe the person that did something before hooked wherever the other half of that "Y" goes to something else for vacuum?

Any input on the above?

I went ahead and ordered the Ford part, but not sure what I'm going to do with the extra connectors yet...

LxMan1 01-08-2008 05:50 PM

I know the car 4.6L had a T there and draws vacuum from both sides of the intake for the PCV for some reason. The trucks only use one with a 90. Not sure what they have done to yours.