Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   fuel filler door broke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/347703-fuel-filler-door-broke.html)

cbsaf 02-22-2005 07:17 PM

fuel filler door broke

I noticed my fuel filler door started to not stay open and I would have to let it rest on the pump handle and I was fine with that. Today after refueling it will not stay closed either! :mad: It just opens and closes freely with no tension. I looked underneath and the "C" shaped spring is still on it. Boy this is awful.

thenetguy 02-22-2005 11:38 PM

Mine broke the second week I had the truck. I suspected the trucks vibrations were so bad the fuel door broke. I had mine break while I was driving down a road. Take it to the dealer and get the replacement.

FS-150 02-23-2005 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by cbsaf
I noticed my fuel filler door started to not stay open and I would have to let it rest on the pump handle and I was fine with that. Today after refueling it will not stay closed either! :mad: It just opens and closes freely with no tension. I looked underneath and the "C" shaped spring is still on it. Boy this is awful.

Mine failed the exact same way @ 2000 miles. Dealer said he had seen a few of them, so it must be a fairly common problem. Plastic?????...... not a good place to save weight if you ask me.

lardman 02-24-2005 05:46 AM

There is a plastic pin in the fuel door hinge that can be installed incorrectly. If the plant installs it incorrectly, it strips out and the result is your problem. There is a new pin design-the dealer should be able to help you out.

Ruckus 02-24-2005 07:52 AM

Out of all the pickup's I have owned this is definately the flimsiest filler door I have ever seen.At my first fill up,I thought this is going to be a potential problem.Ford should not have skimped here knowing how much use these will get.Especially,with such poor gas mileage.Anyone know of a better aftermarket or something?I just found out I have a PLASTIC console shifter and now this!:'(

lardman 02-24-2005 08:22 AM

Ruck, blame styling for the filler door. Notice how small the diameter is compared to other vehicles? Something that small is hard to make out of metal. I think you can go online and find a metal console shifter.

cbsaf 02-24-2005 09:38 AM

It is in today getting fixed so let's hope it is an improved part.

osbornk 02-24-2005 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ruckus
Especially,with such poor gas mileage.:'(

Yea, I think mine is going to get a lot of wear and tear!

Litre1 06-28-2005 09:26 AM

cbsaf, do you have an update on the fuel door? Did the dealer say they installed a newer part? Same thing happened to me last week, and I'd like to know what to say to the service dept. so that I get the latest stuff, not just another original that will break again.

Ruckus 06-28-2005 09:33 AM

I saw chrome filler doors that come with install tool for around $15-$20 on ebay. However, as long as you have warranty I would have repaired or replaced. Good Luck!

bwep 06-28-2005 10:40 AM

gas door

My filler door also broke. Went down to the dealership they said replacement part was complete door assembly. Also they stated it has to be painted. As I posted before I’m going to look into a after market door. They seam to be reasonable priced and add a nice look to the truck. BWEP

Litre1 06-28-2005 01:15 PM

I have looked into it some, but the only ones I can find either stick onto the existing door, or use the existing hinge assembly. Of course, that's the part that is broken...

Cincy F150 06-28-2005 01:21 PM

bwep,

They do have to install the whole assembly but the fuel door just snaps off the assembly. My dealer told me the same thing then they were shocked that it came apart. Needless to say I go to a different dealer for warranty service.

cbsaf 06-28-2005 03:18 PM

They said it would take a whole new assembly but upon inspection I have the same old assembly that was just adjusted. When you look at the back of it from underneath the truck they rotated the plastic arm that holds the circle clip or spring so that it had more tension. So far it hasn't broke again but if it does I will demand a new part and mark this one with a sharpie marker to be sure. I am real gentle on it now.

bwep 06-29-2005 07:15 AM

Thanks Cincy F150 I’ll let the dealership know that it comes off. In the dealerships defense they’re a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. They also own a Ford dealership that I bought the truck off but it’s quite a ride. There Lincoln dealership is almost walking distance. With help from people like yourself and other members of this forum I’ve been able to guide them through a lot of the common repairs. Also cbsaf I will take a look on the backside of the assembly myself and see if it is a adjustment or if it is broken. Thanks to all BWEP