Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   4 Cylinder Engines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum58/)
-   -   More power from my 2.5l 98 ranger (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/347409-more-power-from-my-2-5l-98-ranger.html)

towelie 02-21-2005 10:07 PM

More power from my 2.5l 98 ranger

I have the 2.5l ranger. Ive been trying to think of ways to beef it up like headers and exhaust and cold air.

I wanna get performance ignition coils and spark plugs and spark plus wires. But I dont really know where to get that or what I should get really. Any help on that?

I also want to get headers. I found a place with ones for a 2.3l but I cant seem to find them for my 2.5l ranger. Anyone know where to find those or if the 2.3l ones will fit?

I have a Gibson Lightning style exhaust btw, its awesome.

Im also planning on doing a little custom job and getting the honda air intake pipe and putting that right on with a k&n cone filter on it. My friend did it and he didnt have to cut the pipe or anything, fit right on. I was wondering though the filter would be out in the open. Couldnt water get in it? Is there some kind of rain coat I have to buy for it or something?

I sometime soon will be getting a better air sensor or w/e it is, but thats like 350 so i'll wait.

Also can anyone recommend a throttle body spacer, id like one of thsoe but dont know what I should get.

Thanks I appreciate any feedback.

snakeater98 03-06-2005 09:08 PM

hey, i was just wondering if you had reg. or extended cab. and long or short bed. because i have been looking for the lightning exhaust and have not been able to find it anywhere. thanks.

towelie 03-06-2005 09:20 PM

Actually I went to order it, and I got an email back voiding my order becuase the Gibson exhaust is not made for my truck. I custom made my own side exhaust though thats ford lightning style using a cherry bomb, lol. Im gonna get the dual sport Gibson soon. Sorry they dont make it for our truck, or at least I cant find it.

snakeater98 03-07-2005 09:19 AM

thanks, i have a reg. cab, short bed. and the only exhaust i have found was the single side exit. i dont know if i am not looking hard enough or what. but i was hoping the maybe someone could give me some clues on where to look.

AlfredB1979 03-08-2005 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by towelie
I have the 2.5l ranger. Ive been trying to think of ways to beef it up like headers and exhaust and cold air.

I wanna get performance ignition coils and spark plugs and spark plus wires. But I dont really know where to get that or what I should get really. Any help on that?

I also want to get headers. I found a place with ones for a 2.3l but I cant seem to find them for my 2.5l ranger. Anyone know where to find those or if the 2.3l ones will fit?

I have a Gibson Lightning style exhaust btw, its awesome.

Im also planning on doing a little custom job and getting the honda air intake pipe and putting that right on with a k&n cone filter on it. My friend did it and he didnt have to cut the pipe or anything, fit right on. I was wondering though the filter would be out in the open. Couldnt water get in it? Is there some kind of rain coat I have to buy for it or something?

I sometime soon will be getting a better air sensor or w/e it is, but thats like 350 so i'll wait.

Also can anyone recommend a throttle body spacer, id like one of thsoe but dont know what I should get.

Thanks I appreciate any feedback.

Coils, plugs, and wires....won't help you ANY. The factory coils can basically take drag-strip caliber power (you know, the kind where you rebuild the engine EVERY weekend!) and plugs and wires don't make power. It's the pistons (higher compression ratio helps to a point) and valve among other things that do that deed for you.

I would be surprised a 2.3L header (factory even) didn't fit. They are the same block externally, for that issue.

"air sensor"....I assume you mean MAF sensor.....see my statement about the coils. IF you went that route anyway, you'd need bigger injectors to match. As for injectors, see what I say about coils....it's pretty much the same point.

Throttle body spacer = feel-good donation to help the economy/paper weight. I could put that money to better use, just IM me and I will give you my mailing address or if I can get the credit card machine I used in my old restaurant to work, we can go that route. :-X0A6