Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Fairbanks Meet Change of Plans!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/344781-fairbanks-meet-change-of-plans.html)

heavnbound 02-15-2005 01:29 AM

Fairbanks Meet Change of Plans!!!

Hi Fairbanksans,
A sudden turn of events requires a change of plans for the Fairbanks Meet-n-Greet. Denny's, our scheduled meeting place is closed for an undetermined amount of time!

So the new meet will be at the Players Grille at 2:00 p.m. on the following Saturday - Feb 26th.

Players Grille is quiet enough to talk, has an inexpensive menu, and has room for a group of people so it is a good place to hold our Meet-n-Greet. Hope this isn't too confusing for everyone!

gamble71 02-15-2005 01:29 PM

much better

Twin Tritons 02-19-2005 10:52 PM

I'll be home and should be able to make it, but I better check to see if my wife has anything already scheduled for then.

BTW, where is the Player's Grill? It seems like a lot of the resturants here in town go out of business and/or change names so often that I can't keep them straight.

heavnbound 02-20-2005 12:05 AM

Players Grille for those who aren't familiar with the name is where the old Sizzlers used to be. On Airport Road, across from the Goldstream Theatre and next door to the Hoitts Stereo building.

Denny's has apparently re-opened now from what I saw tonight, but we've already changed it to the Players Grille so we will stick with that.
Players' Grille, 2:00 p.m. on Sat, Feb 26th.

gamble71 03-15-2005 11:14 PM

ok, considering the fun we had at the 1st one, let's schedule the next. However since the weather's finally coming around there are a few changes I'd like to see made. How about we start it earlier and have a grill out. Second I just got my new tranny installed and would like to have a chance to try it out off-roading, I'm sure I'm not the only 1. Then of course I would also like to be able to consume some "adult beverages" without worry of the breaking the law. I'd be up for buying steaks... just let me know if anyone else is in agreement.:)

heavnbound 03-16-2005 03:34 PM

Hi gamble71,
I agree we could start planning another meet and greet The weather is getting warmer (when it doesn't snow!) and it is about time to fire up the grills. We will talk about it at the meeting on the 18th or next month. We also have Memorial Day coming up soon and we could incorporate it then.
And the off-roading thing sounds fun - although I probably won't be able to do that with my new Excursion (don't really want to ding up such a nice ride!)

However, the part about "adult beverages" bothers me. I am not opposed to drinking - there's a time and place for it and I have been known to knock over a few myself. But we are in essence a car club and it wouldn't look good at all for liqour to be present at any of our functions. Drinking and driving is against the law whether you are on the street or off-raod. And on a personal note, I have been to far too many car accidents where "adult beverages" have been a factor.

As Chapter Leader I cannot allow liquor to be a part of our Chapter activities and so there won't be any meetings where liqour is served, there won't be any bar-b-ques with liqour involved, and I am looking into establishing a policy where any member arrested for drinking and driving will be suspended from Chapter membership for a period of time.
I hope you understand, but we are a family group and drinking and driving is not a good example to be setting to children or to the public who we are trying to win over.

Wes Dunbar

Crumm 03-16-2005 08:06 PM

Time to get out the grill? We use ours all winter long:). You just have to heat the propane bottle to keep it flowing. I am up for a little wheeling and grilling, sounds like fun. I am also in 100% agreement with Wes on the drinking issue. Vehicles and booze don't go together. I lost my father when I was 8 years old due to a drunk driver so I just don't think much of mixing alcohol and vehicles.

gamble71 03-16-2005 11:58 PM

ok, obviously what I said has been taken out of context. I am not advicating drinking and driving. It is possible to show up, go 4x4in then come back, grill and have a few brewski's. I have a DD in my wife, so don't go thinkin I'm saying drinkin and drivin is ok. However if I'm the only one who wants a beer I'll abide by the wishes of the many and abstain. After all the good book says not to become a stumbling block to the unbelieving.

heavnbound 03-17-2005 01:57 AM

gamble,
We understand you are not advocating drinking and driving and everyone knows that that sort of behavior is wrong. I am just concerned with our image to the general public. As everyone in Fairbanks knows (and I'm sure Anchorage and other cities have a similar problem) there are a couple "clubs" that have a bad rep in town. The "rice rockets" crowd and the kids with their "tuner cars" are the ones that come to mind. And whenever people see them running around, they usually get a "roll your eyes and try to ignore them" attitude about them.

I do not want this to be the case with our group. I want our organization to have a good reputation and a good rapport with the people of our towns. I want us to be welcome and not looked down upon or shunned just because we are a "car club".

If we are to gain the trust and support of the people of our cities and towns we must "abstain from all appearance of evil" and not even give the impression we may be doing something wrong. This is why I am so against liquor at any FTE event...I don't want the thought we might be doing it to even enter peoples heads! I want them to look at us and think "these people wouldn't dream of doing something like that!".

Once we have won their hearts and thier minds, we can use our good name in beneficial ways - like discounts at parts stores and invitations to participate in activities going on around town. The community will be so glad they have a good group that we will be welcome wherever we go and our reputation will be stellar!

So it's not that we think anyone condones drinking and driving...we've all heard about or experienced the effects of drunk driving ourselves. And we need to take a firm stand against this to insure that we are not looked at like another bunch of rowdy, rambunctious, car clubbers, but as a serious group who is trying to better the places we live.

fellro86 03-17-2005 03:15 AM

Another aspect to consider is legal liability, it can be turned on the club in some occasions. Minors absolutely cannot be drinking at a function, because it will be turned on the adults of the club for not stopping it. Public image is a very big problem as well, as you will be trying to protray it as positive, and even though it likely isn't the case, it can be twisted to look bad by those that have their agendas. I'm sure you are fully aware of the activists that would like to keep you from 4 wheeling in parks and such, and they could use it to twist for their purpose. "truck club drinks and fourwheels in parks" that kind of thing. Public image is a bitch, and there are plenty of people waiting to discount you. So if you give them nothing to use, they have no ground to stand on so to speak. The image the ricers have is due to their behavior. Some of it is the silly look, but the tendency to be stupid seems to go hand in hand. The original hot rodders had the bad boy image, even if it wasn't merited. The guys with the resto and beater trucks will have the kind of hillbilly redneck image to overcome, it's a stereotype, but it is the image put to it, right or wrong. As such, they will be expecting a beer guzzling hick. Just can't give it to them.

heavnbound 03-17-2005 03:25 AM

My sentiments exactly fellro! With all the bunny-huggers out there trying to save the planet from everything , we don't need to give them more ammunition to stop our four-wheeling and enjoying our rides! Our best defense against those wishing to shut us down is to have a good image and a positive influence in the community. If we get the people behind us, then these activists won't have enough clout to mess with us.

My poor Excursion has enough going against it right now...we don't need any more bad press!