Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   what do I need to replace wheel bearings? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/340122-what-do-i-need-to-replace-wheel-bearings.html)

dbuck50 02-03-2005 12:56 PM

what do I need to replace wheel bearings?

I'm going to repack/replace my front wheel bearings on a 93 F150 4x4 302 w/31's'.

I have new inner and outer bearings and grease seals. I have a bearing packer and a tube of Mobil1 synthetic grease.

I know I need a spanner socket...anyone know what size? also is there any other special tool and is it hard to replace the bearing cup? any hints and suggestions are welcomed.

andym 02-03-2005 01:06 PM

I'm assuming that this is the truck in your sig?

If so, you will also need a pair of lock ring pliers, and a pick set to dig out the hub retaining ring. The lock ring is the four-pronged one. The races have to be pressed in to the hub body. If they aren't scored or blued, I wouldn't worry about it.

51frrdtrk 02-03-2005 07:17 PM

I your going to replace the bearing replace the races. You can knock the old ones out with a long punch. Start the new races by putting them in your freezer over night or better yet pack in dry ice, start the races into the warmed hub with a small ballpeen hammer working slowly around the outside. When thy get even with the hub use a brass punch to continue. Try not to let the punch hit the race face.

dbuck50 02-03-2005 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info...anyone know what size the spanner socket is?

dbuck50 02-05-2005 09:52 PM

Anyone know what size socket for the axle nut and what size spanner socket is needed??

mmacsek 02-06-2005 05:00 PM

Always replace the races when you replace the bearings. The bearings and races wear as a set. Use a piece of brass as a punch and you won't score the races. Have fun. Matt

51frrdtrk 02-06-2005 07:04 PM

When i did mine i went to the local parts store (Murreys) and bought the socket. This socket is not like your normal socket(at least for the F-250), it has four prongs that stick out and grab the nut. You will have to get a socket for your specific axle.

dbuck50 02-06-2005 07:51 PM

Ok, I use a brass punch to punch out the races...how do I put new ones in without damaging them?

88n94 02-07-2005 02:43 PM

There is a special tool or maybe I should say a kit fot installing races. The kit consists of a driver and different size discs that bolt to the driver for different size races. You can view this by going to www.jcwhitney.com and where it says keyword, delete keyword and type in WB153730B this is the part number of the kit from them. If the races are larger than 2.555" OD you will need the larger kit also listed there with a different part number. You may be able to rent this tool(kit) locally beings you probably won't be doing much wheel bearing replacement. This tool works good for installing races but you still have to pay attention to what you're doing, ie get the race started in square. Pound it in a little and if one end is higher than the rest, hit on the driver where the high side is. You'll get on to it. Set the hub on a flat solid surface when doing this. A 24 or 32 ounce hammer seems to work the best for me. Good luck.

qman 02-07-2005 03:27 PM

I put in the races with a hammer and a block of wood.

51frrdtrk 02-07-2005 07:24 PM

Like i wroteearlier i use a brass punch to install mine. I also use a long steel punch to remove the old ones.
I have heard of guys installing races using threaded rod and two heavy washers. The races are started and then pulled into place by the threaded rod with a washer on each side