Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum60/)
-   -   cap help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/339397-cap-help.html)

bigjace8 02-01-2005 08:30 PM

cap help

is a cap really just a cap? or does brand really matter i know the size does 1farad per 1000watts. but is audiobahn better than pyramid? i just read a post about caps being worthless but i think they do what their supposed to example: lights dim add cap lights dont dim. just my thought for what thats worth.

MemOrex 02-01-2005 09:53 PM

Capacitor....long worthless tube. I'd like to see one keep the lights from dimming on a 5-second DEEP bass note. Has to recharge sometime....
sorry, my opinion

I'd get audiobahn. Post back results after installing one. :)

primetime24 02-01-2005 10:30 PM

I've got a stinger, had it for a few years, been great to me, never had any problems or power drains from it!

blueovalwonder 02-02-2005 02:39 AM

i have a 1 farat stinger cap also...a blue one with a digital lcd readout...junk, didnt do much for my rockford bd 1000....let alone a punch 500 ..think about it this way...you alternator has to recharge TWO power supplys now not just one...doesnt that put a bigger draw on you charging system....id go with a batcap....just my two cents

Renegadesrun 02-02-2005 06:44 AM

Thanks Blue. Correct.

Now your alts REALLY gettin its azz kicked, but you have no light dim hooray!!!

Thats great!! Cuz soon you'll be needing that HO alt you need to run your system in the first place. :-X22

The alt is the start and heart of a system. Never forget, or dismiss this fact. ;)

bigjace8 02-02-2005 07:12 PM

so by replacing the alt to a ho unit does this stop headlights from dimming? i dont really play any bass cds so the is never more than maybe 2-3 seconds of deep bass. i would rather replace the alt anyway but only if this fixes my problem.

Renegadesrun 02-02-2005 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigjace8
so by replacing the alt to a ho unit does this stop headlights from dimming? i dont really play any bass cds so the is never more than maybe 2-3 seconds of deep bass. i would rather replace the alt anyway but only if this fixes my problem.

If you have heavy light dim, or any at all, that same lack of power is also effecting your amps. The more you give the more they make.

In essence, not only will the light dim go away, but the difference in your systems sound should be day and night. (As well as updating the big three.)

Alterstart sells them for a great deal IMO. I got my 200a for 312 shipped.

Motoshrump 02-02-2005 09:07 PM

Since you are not concerned with weight a viable option is a second battery to handle the high current conditions normally associated with heavy subs, this will help reduce the sudden demands from high output amplifiers on the alternator. Regardless, a big casing high output alternator is a general necessity when one deals with a stereo that draws over approx. 60A