Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   SJ 4x4 mechanic? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/336571-sj-4x4-mechanic.html)

jdmorg 01-26-2005 11:18 AM

SJ 4x4 mechanic?

So, I know that I need U-joints for my Bronco and I am assuming I will need a driveshaft (the rumbling is awful).

A) would it be better to take this to a 4x4/truck mechanic
B) either yes or no to "A", anyone know of any guys in South Jersey?
C) Someone toss me a number on what you think it will run me.

frederic 01-26-2005 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jdmorg
So, I know that I need U-joints for my Bronco and I am assuming I will need a driveshaft (the rumbling is awful).

A) would it be better to take this to a 4x4/truck mechanic
B) either yes or no to "A", anyone know of any guys in South Jersey?
C) Someone toss me a number on what you think it will run me.

If you have a shop that can balance your driveshaft, the rest of it is entirely a DIY operation. U-joints aren't too bad to replace, especially if you have a friend handy. Use clamps to hold them together while removing/installing so the caps and the little roller bearings don't come off, and it goes fairly smoothly.

U-joints are priced on size... I paid about $45 a pop for the u-joints for my F350 crewcab, so I'd guess that for the Bronco, they'd be at least slightly less money, since they aren't as massive as the F350.

The balancing of my crewcab, longbed driveshaft ran me about $125 in north/central jersey, but that can be done at any driveline shop, its not a difficult thing to do. Essentially its like tire balancing - they spin the thing, then tackweld on little weights, then re-spin it to verify its correct. Often these weights (which are there from the factory) get chipped, rust apart, etc, affecting the balance because they stick off the actual shaft slightly.

If its a very minor imbalance, often they'll skip the weights and just lay a mig-bead where the weight imbalance is.

Some shops will prime and paint the driveshaft too, mine didn't, so I taped off the greasy bits and covered mine thoroughly to help it last a bit. Can of Krylon primer and a can of Krylon black is all you need, total DIY job.

jdmorg 01-26-2005 12:08 PM

yeah, I figured so much, but I don't have the time (isn't that what it always comes down to). I'm lucky enough to have the $$--for now anyways--and my mom is driving it now as I got something for work. I'd rather have it done professionally for the sake of time and safety. Thank you for that much though, so now I know what's going on, but like I said, I'm shop hunting here. What else you got. :)

cjbronco 01-27-2005 02:56 PM

Theres a guy in Farmindale, Monmouth county that did mine. He rebuilt it, lengthed it, and put on all new joints. I out the driveshaft on myself but all that ran me about $150. The guys name is Mr. Driveshaft 732-938-4118. Ask for Sal They do install but an appt is needed since they do all their work outside. They also rebuilt my 9" in my bronco. I bought all the parts and they only charged labor of $245. Im doing the same with the from gears (3.73 dana 44's) once tey come in. Highly recommened guys.

Xplore01 01-30-2005 09:44 PM

Hi,

If you are from South Jersey and any where near Mt.Holly, on rt 38 there is Camper Bob, just give him a call, he will give you a price, he is the best!!!!!
(609)261-2222
Sandy

jdmorg 01-31-2005 02:37 PM

Thanks guys. Sandy, I'll have to check that out, as I am close to Mount Holly (I'm only in Voorhees). Do you know him, or just someone you've dealt with?

Xplore01 01-31-2005 07:55 PM

Hi, JD,

I have known Bob for years, he is a great guy and knows his stuff, no trial and error way of fixin things, done once, done right!!!!!!!! can't say more than that.
I had a 4X4 making a noise in the rear, spent $600.00 with different people trying to fix it, cause I couldn't get it to Bob, after the $600.00 still had the noise, called him, told him on the phone what it sounded like, turned out to be a $20.00 part he fixed in about 15 minutes, so I learned, he is the only one I go to now with 4X4 problems, just tell him ya know Sandy.............................then duck!!!!!!................................only kiddin about the duck part LOL. let me know how ya make out.
Sandy

surfclam 02-04-2005 09:02 PM

Yeah, they're good- been in the business for over 20+ years. They are doing some stuff for me on my truck now --- they have like five bays to work on trucks.They know what they're doing. Give em a call - tell them Jimmy Davis sent ya

Paul Garvin 02-08-2005 06:16 PM

driveshafts

Camper Bob is very good. I live minutes from his shop and have bought a number of things there and always been very satisfied.

There is also a place over in Pennsauken by the mart called Rebuilt Parts Co that specializes in cutting and balancing driveshafts. They did the driveshafts on my 250 4x4 and my 69 cougar. Rebuilt Parts was very reasonable, and did great work.

Both would be good options, call them both and get pricing, then decide.

Paul Garvin