Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Found The Holy Grail....idle Surge Prob (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/335894-found-the-holy-grail-idle-surge-prob.html)

tHeCoS 01-24-2005 07:39 PM

Found The Holy Grail....idle Surge Prob

Come to think of it, it might not be the HOLY GRAIL for everyone. But may help for a lot of people here.

Like everyone that has changed the IAC, TP, Cleaned the intake a couple of times or more, Cleaned the TB, got no code, tested the TFI, changed the PIP/DIZZY, triple checked all the vacuum lines, checked the EGR, changed the ACT, changed, ECT, checked the thermactor system ......and still got the IDLE SURGE PROBLEM where the RPM is searching and searching but cant find that steady idle. I have found the answer....."Idle air control adapter". :-X10

An adapter that looks like a spacer that sandwiches between the TB and IAC that has two hex heads screws for fine idle adjustments.

you can get it at the ford dealer part#F2PZ-9F939-A (KIT-ENGINE IDL) for about $35 bucks.

I am a very happy camper .... :D

Trublufords 01-24-2005 09:05 PM

Forgot about these, have used on cammed Mustangs and helped most of the time. I thought these came stock on some Fords when new but not sure. I recall a TSB from Ford to correct idle concerns using this. GREAT POST tHeCoS

broncobillybob 01-24-2005 10:47 PM

Could you pick that up at a autozone?

Big Daddy J 01-25-2005 07:12 AM

I'll be heading to the dealer at lunch to pick one up! I've just about replaced everything else that could have anything to do with the idle with no luck. I'm feeling lucky this time!!

tHeCoS 01-25-2005 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by broncobillybob
Could you pick that up at a autozone?

i dont think the autozone will have them. I hear windsor fox has them. maybe they can send you one. other than that....the ford dealer

yup yup....go here http://www.windsor-fox.com/
click on the ENGINE IDLE SPEED PLATE....its a little bit more $43.00.

Big Daddy J 01-25-2005 02:32 PM

Dealer had to order the part...$44 with tax...will take 2-3 days to get it in. I will certainly post the outcome after I install it!

Big Daddy J 01-26-2005 08:25 PM

Woooooo Hooooooo! My truck has N E V E R idled this smooth!! Good thing I did the work in the garage so the neighbors didn't see me dancing a jig!!

It was very easy to install and adjust. I still can't believe it's idling smooth! I drove around the neighborhood and let it get to normal running temp and no surge!!

CoS...you're my hero!!

broncobillybob 01-26-2005 10:59 PM

Interesting, a possible solution to the irregular idle demon that plagues my Bronco and so many others. I am tempted to go get one but am skeptical to the return of the 'demon' over time. In theory, the screws shouldn't move as that would cause the only change in the device - so I just partly answered my own question. But, retightening screws under the hood every so often is required. Hmmmmmmmm. -Bill

tHeCoS 01-27-2005 11:41 AM

I'm G L A D you like!!! It almost brings back some youth in me. too! It's the HOLY GRAIL! I tell you. Brings the beast ...back to life.... :-X01

Big Daddy J 01-27-2005 02:11 PM

Slowed to a stop at a stop light....thought the truck stalled and started cussin'....then I realized it was idling sooooo smoooooth that I didn't 'feel' it running!!

92EBnTX 01-29-2005 05:31 PM

Would this part stop my '92 from dying at stop lights? I cleaned the IAC and it helped some.

80Bronco94 01-29-2005 05:45 PM

does this work for both 5.0's and 5.8's? Is the PN the same for both?

Big Daddy J 01-30-2005 07:15 AM

Dying at a stop light was one of the problems I was havnig too...haven't had it since! But, I've also replaced so many other parts, it could be a combination that did it.

Not sure if the part number is the same for 5.8, I'd take the part number from here to the Ford dealer and ask them.

Trublufords 01-30-2005 07:41 AM

Just a 1/4 in. spacer with air adjustment screws on sides between IAC and upper intake.Same gasket used on 5.0 and 5.8 , will work on both .

JonK 01-30-2005 07:54 AM

I must have one these spacers.
And Ford knew all along that this was a cure for there engineering ?!.