Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Cat or no cat?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/334927-cat-or-no-cat.html)

BigChevy80 01-22-2005 04:55 PM

Cat or no cat??

Hi all,
I just bought a '75 Ford 1/2 ton pickup for $300 (not sure if it's an F100 or F150).

The exhaust is about ready to fall off and I'll need to get it replaced fairly soon. my question is, can an exhaust shop legally put an exhaust on it without a cat-converter? From what I knew, 1/2 ton trucks had them from '75 and newer, but I've read a couple posts saying they didn't... any insight on this?? The exhaust that's on it now does NOT have a cat in it.

BTW- I don't really care if it's legal or not, I'll have a catless exhaust put on it one way or the other. :p I was just curious.

Thanks,
Tony

Mil1ion 01-22-2005 05:28 PM

How big is the hole in your fuel tank filler?

If it is large > No Cat > due to for Leaded gasoline

Small hole = Un-leaded gasoline ,possible C/C :)

BigChevy80 01-22-2005 08:14 PM

Good point... I never thought of that. The truck isn't here, otherwise I'd run and look. I do remember it having the old style cap on the outside of the bed (no tank door) so I would imagine it has a large hole.

Anyone have any info on the emissions regulations as to what years had to have catalysts? I've heard so many different theories on this, it would be nice to know for sure.

I just want to be able to take it to the muffler shop and have them do it without having to search for a small town shop that will do it withought cats reguardless of the law.

racsan 01-22-2005 08:37 PM

i know that the 3/4 tons were cat-free longer than the 1/2s but thats about all im aware of. good point about the fuel-fill hole diameter, i would have never thought of that.

CrazyAirman 01-22-2005 08:46 PM

There is alot of descrepancy about cats, and I dont think anyone has concrete answers yes or no. My fed EPA guide book only covers from 82 up. As mil1ion said, check the fuel filler, also, look at the gas guage, if it says unleaded fuel only, then it needs a cat. However, a TRUCK that old, with so many grey areas, I would put duals with no cats on it at my shop, no problem. I dont think you will have any trouble getting what you want done :-X22

plowpusher 01-22-2005 08:50 PM

f-100 has cat, f-150 does not in 75 all the fuel caps were perched on the outside of the body til 77. that was the first year for the door

bob1987f 01-22-2005 08:54 PM

do what i did when i lived in an emissions state (mo).....75 bucks to a buddy that was a mechanic and i always passed inspection!! lol......just make sure he spells your name right on the ticket!....later

Barney Oldfield 01-23-2005 10:45 AM

Look at the door tag. If it over 6000 pound GVW no cats needed. I got this from a smog guy in CA should be the same in the other 49.