Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   93 heater control valve (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/330115-93-heater-control-valve.html)

revilloymmot 01-11-2005 01:06 PM

93 heater control valve

Can someone provide me with the location of the heater control valve? 93 Aerostar. Not talking about the metal one on top of the engine. Does this year even have the plastic one that connects two hoses and a vaccuum line? Thank you in advance. In case you haven't figured this out, I'm chasing heating problems....

tom_foreman 01-11-2005 03:44 PM

Stand in front. Look way over to the left. Left of the blower motor. There are two heater hoses that go back to the firewall. Before the firewall there will be the bypass valve. Not too hard to find.

copper_90680 01-11-2005 04:10 PM

Not on a '93 Aerostar. At least, not on mine. (3.0L, 1993, RWD, Shortie)

yendor 01-11-2005 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by revilloymmot
Can someone provide me with the location of the heater control valve? 93 Aerostar. Not talking about the metal one on top of the engine. Does this year even have the plastic one that connects two hoses and a vaccuum line? Thank you in advance. In case you haven't figured this out, I'm chasing heating problems....

I have a 93 extended and I could not find one either,but if you are having the same kind of trouble I was The door above the heater fan had to be wedged closed to make heat.The only setting I could get good heat from was MAX AC.

tom_foreman 01-12-2005 07:38 AM

Well, I knew there was a design change after the 91 model. The dash and instrumentation is different. My 94 has the bypass valve (I think). I know my 96 does. I made an assumption the valve came in with the post 91 change. Evendently not.

Now I've got to go look at my 94 to be sure.

revilloymmot 01-13-2005 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will look on the hoses going to the heater core. Haven't seen anything as of yet. Got the part from autozone type store, so I'm thinking the vehicle has one if it was listed in their database.
Anyhoo, changed the thermostat, still no heat. Even after snapping a bolt on the housing, painfully extracting it, and changing the parts.
I've read many, many posts on this subject...going to attempt to locate the blend door (under the passenger dash above the heater core?) and see what the deal is. Also going to run the van with the front end raised up to see if system needs to be "burped".
If any one's interested, I'll post my results.....
Thanks!

revilloymmot 01-17-2005 03:19 PM

brrr....still cold, as you probably could imagine. Checked the blend door. Opens and closes fine. Feels like both hoses to heater core are hot. Got heat for a very short time while it was sitting up on ramps. Going to try the thermostat again. Take extremely long time for the vehicle to warm up, so I suspect the new thermostat is stuck in the open positon? Just my guess... thanks to everyone for the posts.

Muffinman 01-17-2005 05:02 PM

If you have a washer with a small hole that will fit the Thermostat Housing try that, They make them for Nascar to control water flow. This will narrow it down.

Also take the fan off and see if leaves or trash are in there, Blocking the core.

yendor 01-17-2005 08:55 PM

revilloy
Try and block the outside air door to the closed spot on mine I took a small piece of wood and stuck it in back of the vacum motor and wedged it to the closed spot.If your air is hot for a moment it could be pulling to cold of air and just cooling it down

reever 01-18-2005 09:58 PM

Have you flushed your system lately? If so, then maybe you clogged up the core. I did it with a new core. The core would only heat up in 1 section then the blower fan would cool it very quickly. Both hoses were hot also. Chased that for some time due to "I replaced the core, it can't be plugged up " syndrome..

-reever

revilloymmot 02-08-2005 08:24 AM

Took the advice from reever, and replaced the heater core (2nd one in 6 months). Now riding in warmth. Thank you to all contributors.
To answer my original question, this model does not have the heater control valve that I was looking for.

"There's no way it's the heater core, I just replaced that thing in July!!!"
.... never say never, huh?