Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Rear Axle Noise (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/327176-rear-axle-noise.html)

zx9 01-04-2005 09:50 PM

Rear Axle Noise

04 F-150 20,000 miles
Has a rear axle wine on excell and a chatter noise when excelerating through a turn from a stop. Dealer has no fix ( I'm not sure of the dealer spent any time investegating thise complaint)
Do you know of such problems with the rear axle and if so is there a fix for it yet?

Monsta 01-04-2005 09:56 PM

Sounds like a Limited Slip problem.

Some chatter is normal but if it is annoying or really noticeable then adding some Friction Modifier can help. If not...time to get the rear-end inspected and serviced.

gowestfx4 01-05-2005 07:41 PM

Took mine in Monday, they replaced the clutch pack for the chatter noise when excelerating through a turn from a stop.

zx9 01-05-2005 08:49 PM

Does yours also have a wining noise when excelerating? and did the clutch pack fix the problem?
Thanks for the info!!!

brian noyes 01-05-2005 09:36 PM

Mine Is Whining 45-50 Mph 373 Limited Slip Also On Certain Corners It Feels Like It Locks Up The Dealer Is Replacing Entire Rear End As A Unit

zx9 01-05-2005 10:36 PM

Does any one know a good dealership in Phoenix,AZ.?
I don't trust the on I went to thise last time to do the job right...

serk_237 01-05-2005 11:23 PM

I have had the same problem but it started at about 11k I took it to the dealer. They said when they drained the oil metal shavings came out. They told me they spoke to Ford about it and the fix is to replace the pinion gears. They did and said if it comes back bring it back in.

22k the problem is back and they are replacing everything AGAIN.

What really scares me is what is going to happen after the warranty is up?

Good luck, my dealer is a pain in the you know what to get parts replaced but they told me that this was Ford's fix for the problem. Be persistant with your dealer.

superfx4 01-05-2005 11:42 PM

I had the same problem, whining and chattering, my dealer replaced the clutch pack, pinion gears and changed the gear oil to 75W90 synthetic from the factory 120W90(I think this is the factory stuff). The mechanic told me that the 120W90 is to heavy and wasn't lubing the gears well enough. I had this done at 8000Km my truck now has 14800Km and no problems. Hope this helps.

dkshado 01-06-2005 03:36 PM

Had the same trouble with my FX4 SCAB 373 limited slip at 18,000. Ford replaced the rear axle. Have not put enough miles on the new unit to see if it is truely fixed but for now no whine.

insynco 01-07-2005 12:40 AM

Hey zx9
I too have a rear axel whine. I have 35,000 miles on mine. Took it to the dealer and they say they dont hear it. They did give me a bulletin from ford that they are aware that these trucks exhibit a rear axel whine. Engineering is currently investigating.
They did tell me that if my warranty runs out they will cover me if and when ford comes out with this fix, since I have evidence of the complaint prior to the warranty expiring. I definetely would not settle for anything less that an axel swap. I am getting an extended waranty just in case ford ****es back on their promise.

cajun04screw 01-07-2005 02:54 PM

To all of you with the whine only. Do not let the dealer replace just the guts in the rearend the whine will come back. Its just a waste of time. I learned the hard way the only true fix is a new rear end assembly. I've had new rearend for 6,000 miles now everything is still quite. Don't let the dealership bull**** you demand a new rearend. Hope this helps.

04fordscrew 01-14-2005 11:06 PM

rear-end noise

My 04 ford supercrew also has a whining noise in the rear end. It starts at 50 mph and when you left off the gas it quits. The truck has 25,000 miles on it but dont know when it started whining cause we just bought it. Took it to the dealer on wednesday and they told us that a lot of the new trucks have it and ford is investigating it and has no fix yet, but hold on to the receipt showing that we took it in and when ford gets a fix they will fix it. Had my grandpa look at it and he said it needs a new ringgear and pinion! Dont know if that is true or not but he is a mechanic and says thats whats wrong.

bdmcdonald 01-15-2005 01:59 PM

My truck also whines on acceleration and chatters on tight turns. It has 17,200KM (11,000MI) on it. I guess I'll get it looked at during my next oil change. Nice truck though, very comfortable and smooth riding.

captchas 01-15-2005 04:55 PM

mechanics 2 cents

a mechanics 2 cents! most of the rears i have done with whines have had ecessive back lash or missmatched gears sets, from what every one is saying i wonder if ford is having a problem with the machining of the housing as a few say a complete unit seems to have repaired the problem, i always shim to the tight side of the ring gear back lash and have never had any problems in my own personal units
chatters on turns with a limited slip unit a small amount is normal and can usally be stopped or reduced by adding the additive. excessive amounts will need the unit's clutch discs replaced. or a complete unit used
at any rate i personally would do some phone calling to ford and start busting. make sure you have a very good solid claim on record. don't trust the dealer. keep every sheet of paper if you are close to the warrenty going out . in other words cover your back your self. again this is ONLY a mechanics 2 cents from some one in the field for 40 plus years. good luck men and ladies

fifteen+ 01-15-2005 06:00 PM

i've also seen bad gear sets and clutch packs in the diffs. done a few myself. friction modifier seems to help only if it's installed early enough.