Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   One Piece Window Glass Installation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/325865-one-piece-window-glass-installation.html)

bhowe2 01-01-2005 08:10 PM

One Piece Window Glass Installation

I am considering installing a one piece window in my 1955 F-100. I see several kits ranging from $390-540. Some indicate "with corner cover" What does this mean? Does anyone have experience or recommendation as to kit to use or one to stay away from. Do these kits work well?

Brian

jniolon 01-02-2005 04:34 PM

one piece window kits

Brian,

no one will answer you, huh bunky ?? :(

well...I'll tell you what I know...

the earlier 'ventless' window kits replaced the side window with a wider glass but didn't completely do away with the vent... instead it replaced it with a plastic insert that filled in the little vee at the bottom of the door

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/ventkit.jpg

picture shamelessly scarfed from Kenneths site..

the reason they do this is the hinge pocket is in the way...and it was easy...

next came the kit (and I don't remember who made it...but some of the guys on this board have used it... and the vendor was at the Supernationals for the past few years...

anyway

it required modifying the hinge pocket, and doing some slicing from the window slot to allow the full width window to slide up... I looked into it but since my body work was complete on the doors it was too much work for me...besides... I miss the vent windows and the breeze they let in....

hope that helps, you might do a search on "ventless windows" OR check with some of the vendors

later

john :-X06

54 gene 01-02-2005 05:20 PM

Check out Midfifty.com they sell both hope it will help you out.

51ford fan 01-03-2005 04:02 AM

I purchased the one piece tinted door glass kit for my 51 from John's-F-Fun Hundreds in Buena Park California for $320.00. for both doors

nixer 01-03-2005 05:49 AM

i see that nolimit has both the filler piece version and the full glass version.

just my .02

don1077 01-03-2005 08:08 AM

I installed the one piece windows with the corner pieces, Got them from mid
50's. I removed a section of top inner door panel cause the wipers bound the new glass. I replaced that missing section with some vynil to hold the wiper.
In all I'm happy with the results. I 6'2 with long arms and can now better assume that "cool " driving attitude with my arm streached out on the window frame. By the way there is an article in this months c/c trucks about 1 pc. power windows.

Jet Jock 01-03-2005 02:54 PM

I installed a kit (for a F-1) from Vintage Glass in Georgia. A little slow on delivery but a very nice kit at a better buy than some of the West Coast shops.

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' }> 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work"

CIAF 01-03-2005 10:57 PM

J Jock, links ???? phone numbers ??? City ???? Quality ??? ease of install ??
smooth operating ??? Thanks

Jet Jock 01-04-2005 04:31 PM

El Cabron

The quality is good, the ease of install is about a 6 or 7 (on my scale). We cut 3 holes in the inside door panel two for the center mounts and one for the bottom of the fron channel. I like the kit. :-X22

www.vintageglass.com

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' }> 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work"

CIAF 01-04-2005 07:15 PM

J Jock, thanx . I think I will try these guys on for 1 pc side and the P/W kit. This lead comes just in time as my cab and doors are ready for paint and I am ready to order kits. You were right, the prices are a good value compared to the "Big Ad" guys in the truck mags. Thanks again. :-X03

60panel 01-05-2005 11:45 PM

Has anyone done one piece windows in 57-60 ford trucks. I think it can be done. I am seeing 55-57 chevy trucks with one piece windows and they have the forward cant on the front door post. I would love to hear if someone has done this. I would like to have a spare door to experiment on.