Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   7.3 oil dipstick leak? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/325170-7-3-oil-dipstick-leak.html)

slhdd81 12-30-2004 08:54 PM

7.3 oil dipstick leak?

I own a 1995 F-350 7.3 Liter PS, It has 274,000 miles on it. It has developed a leak where the dip stick enters the block. The oil runs down the right side of the block and off the oil pan. My dealer said in order to fix this the oil pan would have to be removed, which they said would require removing the engine! Please advise as to the best solution to this problem. Removing the engine just to gain access to the oil pan seems extreme.
Thanks.

IB Tim 12-30-2004 08:57 PM

Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. The members in these forums are very knowledgeable about these trucks; they will eagerly help you…with your question. If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through FTE.
Enjoy FTE :-X22 we are happy to have you on board!~

bilder12 12-31-2004 05:51 AM

I thought the dipstick was an o ring seal from the top ... only pushes into the pan hole and held in place with a top bolt somewhere. Although I may be thinking of something else.

blackf3504dr 12-31-2004 05:59 AM

I would definetly check it out before I let the dealer touch the truck ! If no one here answers your question , get a second or third opinion from a couple of independent shops . You could always have a "look see" for yourself , maybe the dealer is right or it could be something simple to do . Let us know how you make out .

1997F-350 12-31-2004 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bilder12
I thought the dipstick was an o ring seal from the top ... only pushes into the pan hole and held in place with a top bolt somewhere. Although I may be thinking of something else.

i agree 100%!!!! take the money you would of paid the dealer to pull your motor and buy yourself the shop manuals instead. if my memory is right i just saw the dipstick the other day in my manual and that is the way it is removed. if you need further assurance i can double check but i think you should be ok with this.

firemen122 12-31-2004 08:57 AM

It is a o-ring seal on dipstick tube. I just fixed mine took about 30 minutes. Any parts or hardware store will have a seal .....

bilder12 12-31-2004 09:55 AM

I have found that when you go into the dealership garages you have to walk in there with a mean look in your eye and your shootin hand on the gun ready to draw.
That dipstick tube is probably gonna be a little tuff to get out, wiggle and pull ... it should come out. Look around at the top section of the tube and find the metal flange that a bolt runs thru into the block ... remove the bolt and pull and twist the tube ... to go back together, install new o ring and some motor oil on it and push and twist back into hole, reinstall bolt. Spend the 37 cents to mail the old o ring to the dealer.

1997F-350 12-31-2004 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by bilder12
I have found that when you go into the dealership garages you have to walk in there with a mean look in your eye and your shootin hand on the gun ready to draw.
That dipstick tube is probably gonna be a little tuff to get out, wiggle and pull ... it should come out. Look around at the top section of the tube and find the metal flange that a bolt runs thru into the block ... remove the bolt and pull and twist the tube ... to go back together, install new o ring and some motor oil on it and push and twist back into hole, reinstall bolt. Spend the 37 cents to mail the old o ring to the dealer.

LOL!!! thats great!!!

slhdd81 01-07-2005 10:21 AM

Oil leak at dip stick fitting

Thanks for the advice everyone. After closer inspection I have found that the dip stick actually enters thru a fitting that goes thru the right side of the oil pan. It seems to be leaking around that fitting. I will get some manuels and see for myself what is involved in replacing the o-ring that seals the fitting against the oil pan walls.

If you have anymore suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer assistance.

International Tech 01-07-2005 05:47 PM

International offers a kit to repair leaks at the flange seal for the oil gauge tube without removing the pan. I have done several 1st hand and are not that bad of a job to do. You just have to be careful not to drop the inner part into the oil pan or you will be removing the engine and oil pan to get it. I thought i posted the part number on the kit a while back but i will tomorrow again.

slhdd81 01-07-2005 07:43 PM

Kit to repair oil leak

How good a fix is this kit? I think my dealer already tried this fix. I remember when I took the truck in to be repaired they told me this would probably fix it but they just hoped they didn't drop anything in the oil pan (for the very reason you mentioned). It did stop leaking for about a year after they did what they did. I looked at the oil pan closely and it looks as if there is some sort of sealer around the area. I assumed they tried to fix the leak with a Silicon of some kind. Does this sound like what would be done with the kit you are talking about, or was it a make shift fix they came up with. Thanks again for you help.

International Tech 01-07-2005 08:02 PM

The kit insists of a gasket and Loctite flange sealer. The kit has only been out for a max of 6 months. Sounds like they just loosened the nut and siliconed and retightned the nut.

1997F-350 01-08-2005 12:25 PM

sounds like the dealer who "fixed" your truck just pulled out a tube of rtv and used that and didn't do the real fix. because they didn't want to be pulling the motor. i am sure if you are carefull and take your time you can do it.

mikewalsh1 01-08-2005 02:50 PM

Dipstick leak

There is an o ring on the dipstick. I had to replace mine. you must unbolt the dipstick at the top and fish it out. Put on a new O ring and have a friend hold it when you put it back in the socket behind the starter. :-wink

International Tech 01-08-2005 02:55 PM

let me clear things up a little bit. There are 2 o-rings for the level gauge. One is on the tube itself and the other is on the flange piece which is located on the inside of the pan. If the one on the insode of the pan is leaking putting an o-ring on the tube will not correct it. This kit 1846146C91 from International is used to repair a leak at the flange w/o removing the pan.