Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Hi from New Zealand (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/324442-hi-from-new-zealand.html)

David Lyttle 12-29-2004 12:33 AM

Hi from New Zealand

Have 34 wellside pickup with 36 flathead motor. Used almost daily. Looking for info on how to reduce interference on new CD player fitted.

Racerguy 12-29-2004 12:53 AM

Hi David and welcome to FTE :)

What is a wellside pickup?
If you scroll a ways down on the main forum page you'll find the Audio forum. The people in there should be able to help with your question.

SuperDutyJ4500 12-29-2004 01:40 AM

i think he means a flareside...wellside might just be the term they use down there...i have friends down there and they say that all the time..i ask them..flareside..they say..well if thats what yall call it...but yeah..the audio guys can probably help ya there...good luck..and welcome to FTE :-wink

David Lyttle 12-29-2004 02:19 PM

I suppose you could call it a flareside. Metal tray and sides flared out along the top edge. Metal tailgate. They are called wellsides in NZ. Thanks will check the audio thread.

51ford fan 12-31-2004 02:29 AM

Welcome to the forum, if you are still running the solid core spark plug wires I would change them for a good insulated set. You could also be getting noise from the generator. They used to make filters to block the generator noise but I haven't seen one in years. If you have any old ford parts suppliers in your area, or an electrical repair facility they might be able to help.

Keep On Trucking

David Lyttle 12-31-2004 02:22 PM

Suppressor wires

Thanks, We fitted some caps to the plugs yesterday and they took away all the noise on CD at least. Would have changed the leads but could only find blue wire and I want to keep the black. We also put a filter in the wire from coil to the distributor and have a choke to put in the power supply to the radio / CD if there is any distributor noise. Good progress thanks to the various advise received. Happy New Year

51ford fan 01-01-2005 12:56 AM

If the blue wire is all you can find I would spray paint them flat black. Are you still running the generator ??

David Lyttle 01-01-2005 02:21 PM

Generator etc

Hi Yes still running the gen but this is another problem. We changed the electrics to 12V as the lights were too poor at night and also had no indicators.

Now not generating enough power as at times battery goes flat. The gen is orignial with 12V field coil.

As for the wires, sure I can find some black if I look about

Rgds

DLL

51ford fan 01-01-2005 06:18 PM

Did you replace the 6V turn signal flasher and install a 12V unit ??. As for the battery drain if its reading around 13 to 15 volts on a voltmeter I would suspect there is something draining off the battery in the electrical system. Pull off the positive terminal and touch it to the post to see it you get a spark with everything turned off. If so, something in the system is shorted. Be aware though that old batteries have been known to explode if a spark is generated around them. So make sure it isn't venting fumes.
I just rembered, you can use resistor plugs with the solid wires if memory serves me right. This stuff is making me go back 30 years, way back in my mental archives. Are you running the flathead 8 in your truck. I sure would like to see some pictures of it.

David Lyttle 01-02-2005 01:44 PM

Hi, I disconnect the battery when the truck is in the garage (fire risk) so it is not a leakage issue. I think the rewound generator is not developing sufficient power and the speed it is turning at. An alternator would fix it. The motor is '36 flathead. The '36 motors have insert style main bearings and a little thicker as opposed to the earlier V8 motors which had about 2.0" mains and they were poured mains as well

DLL

51ford fan 01-02-2005 02:04 PM

Make sure you have a fusable link installed in the system.

51ford fan 01-06-2005 07:37 PM

Did you get it fixed ????

schafer1 01-07-2005 08:59 PM

try a noise filter

kotzy 01-09-2005 09:52 PM

I know an alternator would fix it however I would also think that the 12 volt generator
and regulator from a 56 or later Ford should work as well. Those generators were
nearly the same size as the old 6volts. I would think the armature and field coils
would bolt into the generator housing of a 39 or later flat head. They kept the 12
volt battery up back then (1956 to 60) should do it now.