Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum55/)
-   -   Removing the harmonic bal bolt? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/318093-removing-the-harmonic-bal-bolt.html)

Dannym 12-12-2004 07:00 PM

Removing the harmonic bal bolt?

How do you remove the harmonic balancer bolt on an '87 302 e150 van? I have the pulley & fan out of the way, but when I put on the 15/16" socket the crankshaft turns with the wrench. I tried an air impact gun but it didn't make it turn at all, I think my Central Pneumatic tool may be crap. I don't see anything to grab onto, the balancer is pretty smooth. What's the best way to lock the crank so I can wrench off the bolt?

That is a normal right-hand thread, right?

Dannym 12-12-2004 10:06 PM

Got it- it was hell. Put it in gear, but it's an automatic and I didn't expect the clutch to engage. It didn't. Ended up clamping a pair of vise grips onto it, then proceeded to bend up my timing marks (should have seen that coming). Put it on the other side and it dinged up the water pump outlet, but no functional damage. Ended up putting all my weight on a 1.5 ft handle, no movement, pointed it straight down, laid on my side and put both feet on the end, grabbed the damn tire, and pushed as hard as physically possible. THAT did it.

Mechanics who crank stuff down like this should be shot...

ATC_250SX 12-13-2004 11:10 PM

if im not mistaken when I did mine in my 87 f-150, it was a fine thread bolt with lock-tite and a lock washer, not a good remedy for getting out, but thats the reason behind it. to keep it tight, and it probly just was your impact wrench, because, my IR took it right out without hesitation.

ECONOLINITIS 12-14-2004 07:36 PM

Pulling The Harmonic Balance Wheel

I just pulled my haromonic balance wheel off a 1988 E150 automatic. To avoid engine turning I jammed a small screwdriver in the teeth of the flexiplate so it prevented engine turning. I then used a breaker bar attached to the proper sized socket and a heavy hammer - tapping as needed untill the nut freed up. I did this from below while van was up on ramps. Righty tighty - lefty loosey does apply with this nut..

MustangGT221 12-15-2004 08:19 AM

If you do it by the flexplate, just be careful not to break off a tooth. I have a broken tooth off the flywheel on my 318 mopar and sometimes when I start it it clanks pretty bad. The motor is ready to be swapped out for a 440-3 though. I must say it was not my fault, it came to me in this condition, sorry had to clarify :-X10

D351W 12-16-2004 01:10 AM

harmonic balancer bolts are or can be a pain,i found out recently with my first 302 i had to loosen it by locking the flywheel,but i have to agree with ATC 250sx most of the time its not having the right tools

02FX4Dude 12-16-2004 05:51 AM

when I pulled the damper I had the same problem. I listened to people tell me to do things like pull out a spark plug and put in a long bolt, or piece of rope and all sorts of stuff to stop the crank from turning.

I used a piece of flat steel, drilled a hole at each end, one end to a water pump stud, the other end to a pulley bolt hole on the damper. It held it in place to get the bolt out, and to tighten the bolt when I was assembling.

Brian

MustangGT221 12-16-2004 07:44 AM

Thats a great idea.

I was lucky, I had my 302 torn down to a block with a crank, damper, front cover, and thats about it. I needed the damper bolt and washer for my new motor and I was lucky that I got mine off w/ the impact wrench. It wouldn't come off in just straight reverse, so I like to play with it going forward and backward and it'll usually loosen it up and come off. Always try to use the shortest length socket/extension possible when using an impact gun. An extension or unnecessary deep socket robs torque and some of the "hammering".

Blly177 12-20-2004 10:30 AM

you can awalys attach a breaker bar put a piece of wood over that and whack it with a hammer