Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Diesel in Oil - How do you check injectors? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/314244-diesel-in-oil-how-do-you-check-injectors.html)

DFW1 12-02-2004 11:16 PM

Diesel in Oil - How do you check injectors?

I have had diesel in the oil of my X (see sig.) on each change (3K, 7K, 11K). My last change was at 11,000 miles with 4,000 miles on the oil and was 3.5% fuel. I plan to talk to my dealer but would like some advice as to what I can / should expect them to do.

Is it easy to check the injectors?

--------------------
04/04 PSD X 4X4, Oxford White EB, October '03 build, all options except 2nd row captain's chairs, stock drivetrain, no flashes (still have quiet idle and original tow/haul), PSD Badges, Yakima MegaWarrior roof rack, Brakesmart controller, Firestone air springs with on board compressor, C-Bet'r mirrors. Towing 28 ft. Sunline TT with slide room (7500#).

mrxlh 12-03-2004 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by DFW1
I have had diesel in the oil of my X (see sig.) on each change (3K, 7K, 11K). My last change was at 11,000 miles with 4,000 miles on the oil and was 3.5% fuel. I plan to talk to my dealer but would like some advice as to what I can / should expect them to do.

Is it easy to check the injectors?

The only way that tells for sure is to pull them and pop them off on the test stand. This is how they check them when they rebuild them.

Ryan

SBV45 12-03-2004 08:29 AM

DFW1, unfortunately, I don't think they will do anything with less than 6+% from what I have read on FTE.

What was the % fuel in oil on the earlier changes? Or, did you have the oil analyzed then?

mrxlh 12-03-2004 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SBV45
DFW1, unfortunately, I don't think they will do anything with less than 6+% from what I have read on FTE.

What was the % fuel in oil on the earlier changes? Or, did you have the oil analyzed then?

SBV how would they know if you were to adjust the percentage by just adding a little diesel to the oil?

Ryan

SBV45 12-03-2004 02:07 PM

I don't suppose they would know. That being said, I have developed a good relationship with my dealer service. We have had some open conversations. I don't think I would stoop to that. I would instead show them previous oil analysis and ask them to check it out. I don't see how that would help.

mrxlh 12-03-2004 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SBV45
I don't suppose they would know. That being said, I have developed a good relationship with my dealer service. We have had some open conversations. I don't think I would stoop to that. I would instead show them previous oil analysis and ask them to check it out. I don't see how that would help.

Never said that you would stoop that low SBV. One wouldn't have to do it to a dealership that was taking care of you either.

Personally I would't stoop to that level, unless that is what I felt had to be done to get the truck fixed, then I would do it in a heartbeat. It really depends on the techs. Like the one in Green Bay that worked on my truck, (let me watch and showed me everything, pretty cool) told me Ford says the first thing they should check is a cetane rating and a fuel sample for water. He's been working on diesels for quite some years and flat out told me that those two tests are pointless. As the cetane float test additaves the oil companies add to the fuel can manuiplate this test, as for the water, he said unless it's like a 5 gallon bucket of water in there, he warranties it without a question.

The more tech's I talk to the more I am begining to think that where you bring your truck and who works on it depends on how quickly and professionally the problems will be resolved.

Ryan

Lashlaroo 12-03-2004 06:37 PM

dfw1; I feel your pain. My first oil change had 3% fuel in the oil and the 2nd oil change had 4%. I just sent in the 3rd oil sample??? Should know something on monday. When this report comes back I plan on taking the truck in for the power steering leak, will ask about the fuel in the oil at that time. I'll let you know

DFW1 12-07-2004 07:59 PM

Stopped by the dealer.

Stopped by one of the service departments near me and asked for their thoughts. Told them at 3K was under 0.5%, at 7K was just over 0.5%, now at 11K it's 3.5%.

They said FMC offers no guidance as to what is an acceptable level of fuel contamination in the oil and that if my oil level is not rising on the dip stick not to be concerned. Needless to say I will be talking to some other service departments on this.

As for the oil level rising I need to ask a question:

For trucks out there that are not getting fuel in the oil do you need to add make up oil between changes?

My dipstick level does not seem to rise but for a new engine that is still breaking in I would expect it to drop some between changes. I am thinking that my rate of fuel dilution is closely matched to my rate of oil consumption at this point.

--------------------
04/04 PSD X 4X4, Oxford White EB, October '03 build, all options except 2nd row captain's chairs, stock drivetrain, no flashes (still have quiet idle and original tow/haul), PSD Badges, Yakima MegaWarrior roof rack, Brakesmart controller, Firestone air springs with on board compressor, C-Bet'r mirrors. Towing 28 ft. Sunline TT with slide room (7500#).

dmgiff 12-07-2004 08:05 PM

How could anyone possibly tell if their oil level is rising with this horribly designed dipstick, anyway!? It takes me 4 times longer to check the oil on this truck than on any other vehicle I have ever owned. Thanks, Ford bean-counter-pencil-neck-guy, hope the $3 you saved on the dipstick was worth it.

IB Tim 12-07-2004 08:12 PM

Order the gray ended one... it will save your sanity

SBV45 12-07-2004 08:21 PM

I have 26,000 plus on mine. I have had no problem with injectors. Even when new with a rear main seal leak, I did not have to add oil. I didn't have that much trouble with the dipstick but the T handle came off the wire on the first one and the dealer replaced it no questions asked. The second one came with gray tip which is slightly but not that much better.

Lashlaroo 12-07-2004 08:26 PM

just got my report back from blackstone. .5% Thats a Point 5!!!!! Down from 4%. So it must have broken in, or something. The trucks at 20,000 miles.

h2oplus3 12-08-2004 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Order the gray ended one... it will save your sanity

Tim, where can I order this?

SBV45 12-08-2004 09:28 AM

I got mine from my friendly Ford service. When the T handle broke off the dipstick, they replaced it.