Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   TOW/HAUL- any way to set as start up default??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/308062-tow-haul-any-way-to-set-as-start-up-default.html)

me1mckee 11-16-2004 08:01 PM

TOW/HAUL- any way to set as start up default???

Sorry about the duplicate post but I am trying to get the most responses from both sides and some people look at one forum more than the other.
I have been watching and reading and writing in this forum and the Super/Heavy Duty forum for 10 weeks now and have not found anything about this. I was hoping someone would bring it up by now, but I have looked through the last 4 months and have found nothing. Maybe I missed it, so if I did, sorry.
Here is the dilemna: Can the '03/'04/'05's be set up to default to Tow/Haul mode upon start up every time. Every truck I have driven always starts in normal mode and have to be put into Tow/Haul. I want to make them start in Tow/Haul all the time. I build and service utility equipment and these trucks are being fitted with some heavy equipment. We install aerial devices up to 12,000 lbs. on some of the F-550's. There are many that weigh 18,000 before loading any tools or transformers into them and spend almost every day at maximum GVW. If anyone knows a way to program these, I know many utlity companies who would pay to have this done when we build their trucks if only to save on the brakes. One told me today that his trucks average 20,000 miles on a set of brakes. That gets really expensive and who knows what it's doing to their trans. Also, telling their drivers to hit the Tow/Haul button EVERY time they start the truck is NOT an option, they won't do it. This has been proven by just asking them, they are not going to do it. I sure hope someone has an answer, maybe programming, maybe a wire to swap somewhere, but I think that it can be done by Ford and I am also going to ask my local dealer, but obviously I don't expect the answer that I want or I would not ask here first. Hope to hear from some of you big brains here, Thanks for the help, Mat.

SBV45 11-16-2004 08:23 PM

I have not found anything in the manuals on making tow/haul ON the default. I wonder if it is worth a call to Ford?

me1mckee 11-16-2004 08:26 PM

Well, tomorrow, I am going to get the newest flash put in my truck, so I am going to talk to the commercial service manager then of course and ask about this. Maybe some certain people will see this in the next few days and give me some info, one can only hope. Has the newest flash still been performing well for you, SBV?

SBV45 11-16-2004 08:31 PM

So far so good. Pluses are better accelerator response, a little more power, better fuel economy (I think). Starts quicker. No downside.

huntercgr 11-16-2004 08:36 PM

Does this mean you're looking for it to be in tow/haul mode fulltime? If so I'd think there'd be a way for someone to be able to re-wire the system.

me1mckee 11-16-2004 08:44 PM

SBV, that's good news since my appointment is at 3 tomorrow, thanks.

Hunter, yep, full time all the time every day. If wiring could do it that would be great.

huntercgr 11-16-2004 09:01 PM

Well then, logic would say if you could find a specialty shop in this area, wiring, electronics, or? they should be able to figure it out. But, I'm no mechanic, just talkin out loud. :-tap

It might be worth a try to post this in the electrical section also.

me1mckee 11-16-2004 09:05 PM

Well, we do our own electrical and mechanical and hydraulics, etc, etc. I'm gonna let these guys work on it for a while. I bet there will be definitive info. here this time tomorrow. Thanks for the input, Mat

SBV45 11-16-2004 09:10 PM

Let us know if you find out.

IB Tim 11-16-2004 09:14 PM

and some people look at one forum more than the other.
Yea we are not going to be running second for toooooooooooo long

RJB1 11-16-2004 09:57 PM

I would guess this is a normally open relay. Just replacing it with a normally closed should do it. I will look in the bible for a relay associated with this.

Hayapower! 11-17-2004 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by me1mckee
SBV, that's good news since my appointment is at 3 tomorrow, thanks.

Hunter, yep, full time all the time every day. If wiring could do it that would be great.

The tow/haul switching is actually controled by the PCM.. The tow haul button is a 'momentary contact' switch that when pushed, sends a voltage signal to the PCM to command for change in shift, and TCC scheduling.. Even if you hold your TH button in, and then start the engine, it will still send a voltage signal with key on/start power, but default off will remain/or switch off until the button is cycled once..

...............HP................

RJB1 11-17-2004 10:10 AM

HP
You are the man

SpartanDieselTech 11-17-2004 11:25 AM

If the button is normally open, install a seperate wire from the starter side of the ignition switch tapping into the wires to the button on the column...essentially, when starting the truck, the circuit would be the same as having the button depressed, and when the starter is released as the ignition returns to "Run", so would the button. It would come on right at startup, and you could still turn it off by pressing the button.

Just a thought.

Hayapower! 11-17-2004 11:50 AM

Can you guys try this.. Sure it the same as mine though.

On mine, I was figuring on a 'triggering' event as PSD 60L Fx4 suggested.. But even holding the button on a start, the T/H will illuminate 'off' but cancels after a sec. or two when running.. With the old 4R100's there was a kit that could be added to default the OD (not tow haul) off on startup for city driving ect. so it wouldn't make the OD shift at 35-40 or so, eliminating the 'dead zone' when RPM/speed/Boost were low.. Then when needed, the OD was applied..

.....................HP...............