Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Excessive Backlash in Drivetrain. Ken00 PLEASE READ (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/30553-excessive-backlash-in-drivetrain-ken00-please-read.html)

rescueranger 05-28-2002 04:24 PM

Excessive Backlash in Drivetrain. Ken00 PLEASE READ

I am perplexed. When I bought my '94 XLT Supercab 4x4, 4.0L, Man. Trans. about two months ago, I knew it had some drivetrain problems. The slave cylinder was obviously bad and the drivetrain had lots of backlash. When crusing at highway speed, letting off the throttle abruptly would create a fairly loud "Chink" sound. As would reapplying the throttle. I could feel quite a bit of Play or Backlash somewhere in the drivetrain. I replaced the center support bearing, All three U-Joints in rear (2 piece) drive line, had transmission rebuilt, replaced the slave cylinder and Clutch components, serviced the transfer case and the rear end. The truck still has an excessive amount of backlash in the drivetrain. Do you have any ideas as to what else might be causing this? Could the transfer case cause such a prob? I would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thank you in advance

Kelly
rescueranger

Ken00 05-28-2002 08:02 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with 4x4. You could check the rearend backlash. You would need to take the drive shaft off, fabricate something to stop the companion flange from turning. Then you would bring one tire lightly down on a block, leaving the other up in the air. Then turn the free wheel until it tries to turn the other, make a reference mark on the tire 12" from the center of the tire and then turn the other way until it tries to turn the other tire. Now determine the amount of rotation (total backlash), it should not be more than 1".

earlegregory 06-04-2002 08:24 PM

I have what I feel is the same problem, but, I don't think it's backlash. I think it is sensor related in the engine. I have a 4.0 4x4 and it has just started doing exactly what you are describing. My rear end went out and I had to rebuild it but the problem is still there. If you find an answer I would greatly appreciate it if you could share it with me. Thanks!

Hank85713 06-04-2002 08:34 PM

I also have 94 4.0 and have the same symptoms. Read somewhere that the cure is to lube the splines from the trans to the shaft. SOmething about it sticks due to dirt and crud build up.

The guy wrote that ford has a special grease for the spline and that it cured his problem.

Like I said this is something I had read else where, I don't have time to try and lube the splines or anything else, but if one of you guys try it and find that it works,let us all know.:-X22

Ken00 06-05-2002 10:07 AM

There is a TSB, but it's for initial engagement. This one supersedes the spline lube one.

ISSUE:
An audible "pinging" or "creaking" (not a "clunking" noise) may be heard from the driveline when engine torque is initially applied to the driveline such as when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse, between Drive and Reverse. The noise may be heard on slight to moderate acceleration from the stop position, or at clutch release for manual transmissions. The noise occurs when the transfer case rear output flange (yoke) "snaps" across the spline clearance on the output shaft as torque is applied to the driveline.

ACTION:
Replace the transfer case rear output flange with a revised flange. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

earlegregory 06-06-2002 09:58 PM

The pinging you are speaking of is another problem I have. My truck has done that for 6 years now. I have become used to it but it is good to know that there may be a fix. Where did you say you could find the revised yoke? Anyway, The lubing the spline thing sounds easy enough. I think I will be trying that on the 17th. I'm haveing the center support replaced. Sounds like a good time to try this...

mikemc 06-06-2002 10:50 PM