Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Block Heater Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/304635-block-heater-removal.html)

Oaktree 11-07-2004 06:24 PM

Block Heater Removal

My truck (86 f250 6.9) developed a coolant leak at the block heater.The center bolt in the heater was loose and would not retighten. I pulled the bolt out with a pair of pliers. The heater is still in the block,i can get it to turn some but it wont come out.Anyone got any info how these things come out?And yes i have drained the coolant :-X22 . Thanx

Dave Sponaugle 11-07-2004 07:28 PM

They just pull out, you will still take a bath in coolant. There is also a piece of metal inside the block that the bolt threaded into to keep it in. fish around and get it out before you install the new one. If someone used to much silicone to seal the last one it will be a bear to get out.
I have grabbed mine with pliers to get it out.
I have also stuck an awl in the hole and used it to pry back and forth till it comes out.
Be careful how hard you pry with the awl though, you do not want to break it off in the hole.

You may wind up destroying the heater to get it out. Hope you were replacing it, not just resealing it.

Oaktree 11-07-2004 07:40 PM

Thanks Dave. Yes i am replacing it. I tried pliers but no luck other than getting it to twist. I will have to get serious with it tommorrow!Thanks

Dave Sponaugle 11-08-2004 06:04 PM

If it has been in there for a long time, or the block was painted after it was installed, or someone used a ton of silicone sealer you may have to carefully scrap the excess off with a knife so it will come out easier.
Some heaters recess in the block completely and others stick out just a bit.
Either way they are a pain sometimes.
You can also screw in a bigger bolt, something like a 1/4" lag bolt with a big washer on it so you have something to pry to pop it out. It is in such an easy place to work on it.

Make sure when you reinstall the new one that it is pointed so the heating element does not touch the block when installed. Element pointed to the front or back of the engine parallel with the oil pan gasket always worked for me.

Dieseldan7.3 11-08-2004 06:21 PM

IM on my first IDI that ive had for about 4 months and how do you tell if it still has the block heater? The soft plug is still there but no cord.

How often do you guys use your block heaters?

Oaktree 11-08-2004 10:37 PM

dan,if the soft plug has an connection on it for the wiring to plug into then you still have it.This is also my first diesel,so i am not sure on heater use.

Dave Sponaugle 11-09-2004 07:15 PM

As far as when to use it, any time it is below 30 degrees makes it easier on the truck.
It is not really required though unless it is real cold, like 20 or 30 below. Even then if your batteries and glow plug system are working correctly it should start just fine.

I plow snow in the winter, it is real nice to go start the truck and turn on the heater and start blowing warm air to defrost the windows as soon as it starts. Then I can be rolling in just a few minutes.

But another side of the coin, it does take a lot of electricity to heat it up. Block heaters range from about 750 to 1500 watts depending on whigh one you have.

A good thing to do is get a heavy duty timer, plug the timer into the outlet, plug a good 12 guage extension cord into the timer, plug the truck into the cord. If your cord is over 50 feet get a 10 guage cord. Then set the timer to come on 2 or 3 hours before you will be starting your truck.

Dieseldan7.3 11-09-2004 08:25 PM

good idea, using a timer would certainly cut down on the electricity bill. I frequently plug in the cummins in my backhoe and skidsteer during the winter to move snow. Here in central IL they are calling for a bad winter and I may be plowin the white stuff alot.

Oaktree 11-10-2004 12:22 PM

the peice of the block heater that is inside broke where the bolt tightens into it,luckily the whole thing didn't blow out .due to time and money right now i replaced with expansion plug. i will have to get to replacing heater soon as winter is coming. i may lookinto a recirculating heater ,seems like that might be a good idea,depends on cost . later all and thanks.

DMAN 11-10-2004 01:05 PM

I have a recirculating heater and is sucks. A block heater is cheaper.