Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   walking tall movie (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/304314-walking-tall-movie.html)

CDOONUT 11-06-2004 07:50 PM

walking tall movie

I am just wodnering what kind of truck it is that the rock drives in the movie walking tall. I believe its a early 90's or late 80's f150. anyone have any ideas? Im wanting to build a truck just like this. Any suggestions on a truck with that look, then will run 37" tires, and be used for minor offroad on weekends or when it rains, and be a daily driver? Any help that con be offered would be great.--->MAT

CDOONUT 11-07-2004 05:55 PM

ya

No one has any ideas?

plugugly 11-07-2004 06:49 PM

Well I do not know how much help I can be, but I will try. I believe the truck was the years of 87-96 as you probably already know. I have a 95 and my steering wheel is different than that one. It might be the earlier years of this body style. I looked like a Nite model although I do not think it was. It was just back I think. It had fender falres looked like Bushwacker "extend a fender". To run 37 inches I think you will need at least 6 inches of lift and more like 8. I have 38's and almost hit the fenders on good compression. Well I hope that helps.

rick90yj 11-07-2004 07:01 PM

it's approx. 86-91 Ford F-150 according to:
http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a...nip&Complete=1

Bluelightning83 11-08-2004 03:27 PM

The rocks truck was a 90-91 F-150 shortbed. You can tell by looking at the headlights. They have a newer look to them then the 89 and oder trucks but the headlight housing does not wrap around the front end like 92 and on. Also the grill is also more square comaped to 92 and on. On a personal note I want to express my total discussed for the scene when they blow that truck up. It made my stomach turn.

CDOONUT 11-08-2004 04:08 PM

ah!

oh blue lightning, when that scene came up, i was watching the movie with a few friends. and they all know my obsession for truck, so when that blew up, I started freaking out, and all my friends aughed cause they knew I would. It wasnt a good thing to blow that truck up.

And thanks for the info on the truck guys. A 6" lift sounds pretty good. Ill probably end up doing like a 4" suspension and a2" body, see what the prices are anyways.

DOes anyone recommend any changes to the axles or gearing? Im gonna go on a limb and say these trucks have the TTB front end, so I imagine theres nothing I can do up there.

If anything else comes to mind, plese let me know. Ill be doing this truck up in about 2 months. Im super excited, cant wait!

CDOONUT 11-08-2004 04:23 PM

according to that website, they say the tires are 32" tires, on 18" wheels, It doesnt look to me like 18" wheels. I think they are still 15" and 32" tires. Im gonna go bigger tires tho I think. We will see when i start buying parts.

Bluelightning83 11-08-2004 05:06 PM

Sounds like you have some good plans going however forget the body lift and go 6" strait suspension. You said you would be using it for some good offroading and a body lift would just tear stuff up. also with a 6" lift you could fit 35's under it, yourchoice of rims. It would mostlikley need a gear swap in the rear.

CDOONUT 11-08-2004 05:31 PM

alright, well even 35" tires sound ok. Ill have to see them to know for sure what I want. its kinda feel/look thing in my mind. And yeah a 6" lift sounds like a smarter idea when i think about it.

is the 88-91 rear end a ford 9"? and what are the stock gears? just so i cna kinda price out what id need. Now gearing always comfuses me, if they are say 4:10's, should i go with a 4:56 or something lower the 4:10's. This always confuses me and ive never really found a good article to explain it all.

CDOONUT 11-08-2004 05:35 PM

oh and while its buggin me. i was looking at pictures of the 90 f150, and there is some chrome trim around the wheel wells. Im just wondering if this would have been removed for the truck in walkign tall, or if its an older model they used?

Fordfreak1978 11-08-2004 10:55 PM

OK First thing is first. The movie kicks butt. And the truck the Rock had was an 87-91 F-150 longbed. On a Ford Truck website i couldnt believe so many people got the years that truck was manufactured Wrong. And to answer your question on the chrome wheel wells. From 87' to 91' ford offered 3 differant luxury packages.

1.the F-150 CUSTOM was a work truck. Extremely basic; Vinal seats, AM-FM, no cruise control, Manuel windows
2. The XLT had a few extras; cloth seats, AM-FM cassatte, cruise control.
3. the XLT Lariat was the nicest truck they offered. Prmium sound, power windows, cruise control all the extras.

So when you saw chrome around the wheel wells you probobly saw an XLT Lariat as opposed to a Custom. Ya when they blew up that truck my heart skipped a beat. But i was laughin my butt of when they were tearing apart the DODGE.

CDOONUT 11-09-2004 03:32 AM

ok well I just went through the movie. the truck has power windows. the blue and red buttons. 3 of them, so im assuming two power windows and one power door lock switch.

But the bedsides and front fenders stil have no chrome on them. so did they make an XLT with p/w and p/l but without that chrome around the fenders?

Gues it could be possible that the power door locks were added to the truck, but I dont see them adding that just for the movie.

The interior of this truck is also a simple bench seat with two stationairy head rests. And I think I saw the old ford style cruise control on the steering wheel

It also has dual gas tank filler caps. Is there a certain model that came with dual fuel tanks or is that an aftermarket type of thing?

And I dont think its a long bed, he has 2x6's in it, and they appear to hang out a foot onto the tailgate. so I guess that would be a 7' box, 8 foot 2x6 eh? so is 7' a long box? Appears short, but Im not sure.

If this all makes sense I think we should be able to narrow this truck down to a t. thanks again for everyones help--->MAT

Bluelightning83 11-09-2004 03:39 PM

Sorry ford freak but that truck is a shortbed. The chrome around the wheel wells were standard on XLT's, my truck has them and its a 92. But come on guys your not useing your heads the truck was obviously restored and fixed up so whoever did the restoration simply removed the chrome around the wheel wells and just went with a strait paint job. Other than that it is just a regular XLT. To bad it got wasted. But I do agree with Ford freak, I was smiling when they chopped the Dodge.

Fordfreak1978 11-09-2004 10:14 PM

oh well i might be wrong on the shortbed v.s. longbed either way i would much rather have that truck than the Dodge they tore up. But I am almost positive that was a Longbed, can you give me some sites were i can look at the truck.

Scott

1991_f250 11-10-2004 12:26 AM

You can buy that truck in our local buy and sell, the movie was made here in Vancouver B.C. Canada and my friends brother worked on it I don't think they sold it yet but i think they wanted like $8000 dollars canadian.