Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Flaming Headache (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/301943-flaming-headache.html)

truckfarmer 11-02-2004 12:25 PM

Dewayne, back the truck out the garage and take some photos. I think it would give us a better view. I like what you have now.

fatfenders 11-02-2004 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by truckfarmer
Dewayne, back the truck out the garage and take some photos. I think it would give us a better view. I like what you have now.

Oh man, Greg is calling me out again. You just want proof it still rolls and runs. It does LOL. Hopfully I remember to pull the headlight wiring out of the fan first. I'll get a PIC outside soon.

IMLOWR

I thumbed through my mags. Even found one with red grill and yellow like mine was. I didn't like it on his truck either. Looks like a carnival ride or a taxi cab.

Hey John, Lenno says when Kerry is elected, he's gonna make Bush finish his National Guard tour.... in Iraq. Not funny? Well I got a chuckle out of it anyway.

Christopher2 11-02-2004 07:58 PM

I think it would be great he started it let him go over there for awhile.

OilLeaks 11-02-2004 10:57 PM

Yo Fenders - awesome first shot! Flames are not for the faint of heart (for the driver or the painter) and I love em! Some of the painters I know don't try to blend the flames right out of the gun - they overlap bands of slightly different transition shades and then use either fine sandpaper or rubbing compound (or some combination thereof) and blend them by color sanding and/or rubbing as the case may be. They claim this allows more control and once it's rubbed out and buffed then buried in clear what they've done looks pretty sharp - not that I don't like your effort (great colors!) because I do but it sounds like you're trying to soften the edges somewhat...might be worth a try. Still think you want to get that #00 Mack sword brush and outline those flames though...really set them off!

Green with jealousy over your flames! :-X03

Leaks

53Merc 11-03-2004 12:15 AM

I don't knnoow anything about flames fenders but I'm real impressed!

Way to go :-X22

GW

Purple55 11-03-2004 12:43 AM

Let me add my compliments here. I think it looks very nice and something I certainly wouldn't have tried.

I called Audrey to look at the pics and she said "wow, looks good. Thats got a 302 in it doesn't it"? I said "yes, why"? She said "you know the old saying,don't you? If it don't go--flame it".

I told her thats not exactly how the saying goes. :rolleyes:

Women!!!!!

fatfenders 11-03-2004 11:04 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. I really wasn't looking to have my ego stroked. Just looking for ideas and you have provided them. I am looking forward to posting a PIC with the grill installed. I really like the chrome teeth on the white grill. I was skeptical.

I will definitely pinstripe the flames, but it's going to be with tape until I find a color I like. I am going to move the yellow and the orange a little farther forward. Lessen the white a bit and them I'm quitting while I am ahead. Then weather will dictate moving on to something else.

I would definitely do this with some sort of base-clearcoat system. It would be considerably easier. The whole truck will get painted in a few years anyhow. This is a practice run.

Purple

Flames and good mufflers sure make it look and sound like something it isn't. I'd like to hear your Borlas. There is no mistaking a big block with nice exhaust. Hard to fake it with a smallblock.

edsf100 11-04-2004 12:34 AM

nice work fatfenders

Shelstin 11-04-2004 09:49 AM

Heck, I liked the yellow, and I am not a yellow person.........wanna paint my Harley????? :-X22

Jag Red 54 11-04-2004 10:36 AM

'fenders, I have two questions:

1. I like the 53 teeth also, do you think I could mount them on my 56 grill without too much hassle?

2. Isn't it tradition that a classic flame job have light-blue pinstriping around the flames?

Thanks, John

fatfenders 11-04-2004 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
'fenders, I have two questions:

1. I like the 53 teeth also, do you think I could mount them on my 56 grill without too much hassle?

2. Isn't it tradition that a classic flame job have light-blue pinstriping around the flames?

Thanks, John

As long as the contour of the grill is about the same as a 53, I don't know why you couldn't mount the teeth.

I am leaning reddish orange on the pinstriping. The flames could be fatter for my taste. A pinstripe color that is close to the flame color would give them the appearance of being wider. The 1/4" 3M striping tape I used to mask is blue. I tried some of that. It doesn't look half bad.

The yellow almost hurts your eyes when I popped the garage lights on. Mustang Chrome Yellow is incredibly bright when compared to the classic yellows used on Vettes and such. Just my opinion. There are a zillion bright yellow Effies out there with chrome trim. That's why I'm so certain I didn't want the grill and front that way. Just my opinion.

mikew 11-04-2004 02:10 PM

I agree with you 'fenders, I think adding a little bit to the flames width in a slight contrasting color would be the ticket...

Looks alot better than my first set of flames, but nobody really cared because they were on a demolition derby car and came off the truck, no the front. :-D

Mike

56 Effie Aurea 11-04-2004 08:46 PM

She's gonna be a headturner, fenders...I can attest to that! And a red truck with yellow flames,or a yellow truck with red flames, it's all good:-fire ! Mine have tangerine orange in the middle, too...gorgeous in the sun.

Now you got to have sound with those flames! A nice lopey cam with headers and glasspacks should do it:-X06 !
Norb

55Bubba 11-05-2004 08:04 AM

Good Job Dewayne,

I think the outlining of the flames will make a big difference in the look. Otherwise a great job. I'd like for you or someone to do a tech article on body prep. WE're sanding a 65 Comet for painting and it probably will not be nearly as slick a paint job as you have now.

As I've read many folks posts, decide how YOU want it and go for it. Just wish I had the balls to do a flame job ! Oh well , I guess red suede (primer) with flames would be a tad out there

Looking good from here

Bubba:-wink

OilLeaks 11-05-2004 10:05 PM

Fenders...A red orange pinstripe outline would look hot - another more or less traditional option is (and I know this sounds ugly) to use a bright hot light green - look close at many of the flame jobs you see at the car shows - something about it really sets it off...not a large line now but really thin.

55Bubba - red primer with flames could be Kool. Would the flames be primer as well or just outlined on the primer? Would be different and maybe way neat! Give it a shot!!!

Leaks :-X22