Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Montana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum130/)
-   -   Hunters report in here. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/301513-hunters-report-in-here.html)

Fordlover55 10-30-2004 01:23 AM

Hunters report in here.

Howdy... thought I'd try to wake this forum up a tad.

I just finished my annual week off for first week of season's hunting. My best friend and I covered a lot of miles, seen a lot of absolutely beautiful scenery, even found a few roads that weren't gated or gahoogle bumped. Saw a few nice deer but nothing that I wanted to take the time to blast. Didn't see any elk. There was a little snow up the south fork of the Flathead, behind Hungry Horse reservoir, but only saw a few tracks up there. I may have to start taking a week off during the last week of season when the bucks are hopefully into the rut by then. I was hoping for a better opening week, as far as the weather goes. It's been a long time since we've had a good snowy opener. Oh well.

So...how has anyone else done? Come on...make me jealous.

fellro86 10-30-2004 10:01 AM

our season hasn't opened yet, and won't for a few more weeks, so I'll have to let you know. This will be my first year hunting, so should be interesting...

mtflat 10-30-2004 10:35 AM

My son took a big bodied 3 point behind the house about 1/2 hour after season opened last wknd. I took a walk later that day looking for a couple of kids that got lost back there. Opener was wet enough that I walked up on several deer, but didn't pull the trigger. Had one little doe that I walked around at 30 yards. She didn't move, convinced she was invisible. I enjoyed the smiles that day - even found the guys that were discombobulated.

I plan to do some elk hunting the last wk of season. Good luck to all of you!

RICE H8R 10-31-2004 09:50 AM

Only thing open around here is waterfowl and upland birds. I've gotten a couple pheasants so far. Whitetail opens next weekend...I have a buck tag...hope I get a big one.

MontanaFord 11-05-2004 12:22 AM

went out on opener and found a doe for g/f's A tag....my uncle filled his elk tag last friday (29th) with a decent 5 pt bull...good freezer filler....i'm savin my A tag for a nice whitie buck or a mulie buck....got a couple B tags to fill for meat...needa find an elk, too...one of the guys at work filled his bear tag nite of 29th, after work, and his grandma shot a nice lil 4 pt the other nite...i guess he said it was in full rut....it may be early this year...let's hope for some fresh snow, guys....we need it....makes life SO much easier...

Michael

Matts72 11-12-2004 07:38 PM

2 does skinned and hanging in the garage.

I actually recovered my bullet from one of them, it looks just like the one on page twelve of the Nosler reloading manual. :D I've shot many critters, but this is the first bullet I've ever recovered. If you saw the path this bullet took, you'd be amazed that there is that much metal left. It entered the right lung, took a sharpleft, hit the left femur, the took another sharp left, and ended up just under the skin on the opposite side. The bullet broke both legs, and destroyed most of the hind quarters, I'm pretty disappointed, it was a perfect shot, and it slipped between the ribs going in... :( I got two good front shoulders and perfect straps though . :)

RICE H8R 11-13-2004 12:14 AM

We've gotten 3 does and one small 4 point buck so far. I missed 4 or 5 really nice bucks down in a lake bottom the other day. Still got a week of season left...just enough time to get one of them bigguns.

Matts72 11-13-2004 11:58 PM

Turns out a lot more meat was salvageable, it only looked blood shot, as soon as I got the top hardened layer off, most of the meat was perfect. I'm sure that any other bullet would have destroyed more meat.

Josh79 11-14-2004 06:08 PM

Just got me a nice 4x4 muley. He has the biggest body i have ever seen. He is a really old buck too. He has nice big brow tines also. A friend got a great 4x4 muley that had a very big points. He got him at 7:32 am on opening day. Talk about a quick hunt. He didnt even get to his spot before he shot his deer. I got mine on the 2nd day

fellro86 11-14-2004 09:03 PM

Well, after the first weekend, I saw 3 does, no shots. Saw more deer coming home from taking my daughter back than I saw the whole weekend. The rest of the family is doing ok though, over 15 so far, may have more, I had to bug out early, so I'm not sure if any more have been gotten.

Josh79 11-22-2004 10:22 PM

check out my gallery to see the picture of the deer. It isnt a very good one but it is the only one i have that was taken with a digital camera. Will post better pictures once i get the film developed.

fellro86 11-23-2004 06:53 AM

It looks like this season's a bust, ends tmorrow, and doesn't look good for me to get out there. Have to give it a try second season.

Fordlover55 11-23-2004 08:33 AM

Second season?? Hmm.

This is our last week of season and I don't know if I'm going to get out or not. Maybe Saturday. I have too much yard work to do since it hasn't snowed enough to bury it for the year.:mad: I don't really care if I get anything or not anyway, but it's nice to get out and play in the woods.

Josh79 11-23-2004 10:04 AM

muley buck

there he is. There are bigger deer around but they seem to dissappear when it comes time for season.

thumpper23 12-03-2004 10:48 PM

Hello From eastern Monana. Ended up getting a fairly nice Muley buck, 4X5, 27 1/2" wide not as heavy as I thought but non-the-less a nice buck. Now its time to go after some coyotes and a lion. 22-250 gonna be busy this year.