Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   locker or LS in front diffie (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/299881-locker-or-ls-in-front-diffie.html)

chrowen 10-25-2004 10:57 PM

locker or LS in front diffie

I have 1976 F250 Highboy w/ Dana 44/60. I had a limited slip installed in the rear diff. Problem is, if one tire gets good traction and the other is spinning, then I do not go anywhere. I have been stuck in my own driveway with one rear tire on the concrete (not spinning) and the other in loose gravel (spinning). So, I am not very fond of the traction control of the limited slip.

I am ready to put something in the front diffie. I want to go with a locker, b/c I want both front wheels spinning when i engage the 4wd. Is there any reason i would not want to put a locker in the front diffie? Should I go with a LS? Ratcheting locker? (BTW, i am not in the market for the selectable air/lectronic locker, and my mind is pretty made up about that.) Thanks!

Mil1ion 10-25-2004 11:07 PM

So what do you think happens to the rear on curves & dry pavement having a locker?

Lockers are for straight-aways (racetrack)

highboy1975 10-25-2004 11:27 PM

a locker will break your traction in the front in the snow, not a good deal.

Torque1st 10-25-2004 11:30 PM

Sounds like your LS was not working either. You can use an air locker for a front or rear axle and get the best of both worlds, but of course your mind is made up...

ivanribic 10-25-2004 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by chrowen
i am not in the market for the selectable air/lectronic locker, and my mind is pretty made up about that.

Well it might be a good idea unless you want to see your truck on its lid in the ditch. Regular lockers (Detroit) are scary enough in the rear if you're on slippery stuff. A locker up front can rip the steering wheel right out of your hands when it catches. Get a selectable . . . electrac if you can as they'll function like a limited slip when they're not engaged.

Lane Dexter 10-26-2004 01:30 AM

Yeah, get a locker in front -- unless you actually want to be able to steer... Believe me, I've thought about it. My International has a Dana 70F in front, a big Timken in the rear, both open differentials. The Dana is much easier to change to a PowerLok. If I ever get my intended plow on the rig, that might be handy. But once the hubs are locked, a front locker could make steering more of an "adventure" than a predictable activity. One cannot count on always being in loose snow or dirt.

Seriously, a locker has drawbacks, even in the rear. My Suburban has factory locking diff. Hit the gas quick, to make a left turn out of an intersection when it's slick, and you're likely to spin the inside wheel. With one turn of that inside wheel, the locker operates; that usually breaks loose the outer wheel. With both wheels spinning, lateral stability is gone and the rear end tries to pass the front. :eek: My '62 Scout with locking Dana 27 used to do that, when running in 2WD and pushing a little snow. OK, it's not always that bad, if you pay really close attention and get off the throttle quickly.

But a locker in the front would be terrible, just turning a city street corner. When you think about it, the ideal setup is manual lockers on both ends. Face it, 99% of the time we don't need limited slip or lockers. During that 1% or less, when we really want maximum possible traction, we can engage the lockers. The reason you don't see this setup on a stock American vehicle is ... Liability! Yeah, some Bozo will leave it in lock when he hits the street, then sue when he fails to make the corner. Manual lockers show up on Unimogs and various foreign 4x4's. And, of course, WE have the option of going aftermarket and buying ARB lockers.

If you can afford ARB lockers, go for it! If not, don't risk anything worse than a mild limited slip in front, and ALWAYS remember to disengage the hubs when going back onto the hard roads.

:-X22

fordmando 10-26-2004 02:49 AM

How about a Detroit True-Trac up front? This is a helical gear operated limited slip ideal for front axle applications in 4x4 vehicles.

palmrose2 10-26-2004 07:19 AM

I have a locker in the front diff of my Jeep along with the not so hot LSD that comes with your typical Dana in the rear. The combo works FANTASTIC offroad. On the road is another story but I rarely use the 4 wheel drive on the road and if the locker isn't under torque it is isn't locked. If you have selectable hubs you could still use 4wd pretty easily with one hub in the free postion. That way only one front wheel will be turning all the time making turns a breaze.

Sure it would be nice to have two selectable lockers, but for a couple hrs. work and a couple hundred bucks you can vastly change the off road capabilities of your truck and you won't get stuck in your driveway.

chrowen 10-26-2004 03:35 PM

off road mostly

I should have prefaced my question with, this truck only sees pavement on the way to and from off-roading. Occasionally, I will drive it when I need to haul something in the bed. I also will drive it in inclement weather, in which case i am not really goosing the gas pedal. So, I really want maximal traction out of my rig.

Other than difficult steering on slippery sufaces while accelerating, are there any other reasons why a locker would be bad in the front diffie?

:-X25

Torque1st 10-26-2004 03:37 PM

You can also break parts with a locker on pavement. Not a good idea on a fragile front end. Steering is very difficult on dry pavement.

ivanribic 10-26-2004 03:40 PM

Yeah, that D44 won't appreciate it much.

72 Camper Special 10-26-2004 08:00 PM

Locker fears

Your limited slip sounds screwed up. Sounds like you just have an open diff. Get selectable lockers like the ARB and never look back. All the horror stories about Detroits and things are just hooey. Once you get used to it and are prepared for it to be different than an open diff you will be fine. I think there is also some confusion between what a locker is and what limited slip is on this forum. I could be wrong but I was unaware that Chevrolet offered lockers from the factory. Foreign vehicles often have lockers from the factory though. I have a Unimog and a Pinzgauer that both have lockers front and rear. I will say the D44 will be your weak link though with a locker in the front. A Detroit in the rear will wear tires funny and be a little loud. But, you get used to it and that is the price you pay for the capability these things have to offer unless you go with selectable lockers. For some real information about lockers and things you need to look at an off road forum where these things are an everyday upgrade. No offense to anyone here but I know that these old fords are fabulous trucks and I have three right now and it looks as if I may have four as they have found my 74 F250 that was stolen from me two years ago BUT I love real 4x4's that have lockers and I really appreciate portal axles. Flame suit on!

72 Camper Special 10-26-2004 08:04 PM

I need to read better.

I apologize if my previous put the same info about Unimogs and things as another user already put out there. My bad. FYI, Toyota Landcruisers got factory electric lockers in I THINK 1993 or 4 for North America standard. Our sue their ass off mentality keeps us from having lots of cool stuff!

highboy1975 10-26-2004 08:34 PM

i think the new yodas have a locking rear end too, the trd ones. the mercedes gwagon has front and rear lockers. the h2 has a rear locker, theres alot of vehicles for sale here that come factory with lockers, mostly in the rear though.

chrowen 10-26-2004 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 72 Camper Special
I will say the D44 will be your weak link though with a locker in the front.

Thanks for the info guy!

I understand that compared to the 205 Tcase and the D60 in the rear, the D44 is the weak link. But, is it really such a weak diffie that I should worry about putting a locker in it? I mean, it is still a pretty heavy duty diffie.