Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Transmission Swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/297389-transmission-swap.html)

Georgiepoo 10-19-2004 10:42 PM

Transmission Swap

Hello, all! I just got back my 78 F100 Custom shortbed! I was an idiot to get rid of it, but I busted butt and got her back 5 years after selling her off. I hope I keep her forever. My favorite vehicle out of about 70+ vehicles I've owned.
Here's my query: It has a 3-on-the-floor the previous owner dropped in because he "didn't like" the 4 speed OD that was in it. I would like to upgrade to a Ford 4 speed, but not an OD. I drive this like a car and would like it to feel as such. I dream of a short, straight shifter and an easy swap. Is there anyone out there who can tell me which trans I should yank out of which car? Is there a truck tranny that would just drop in? I have concerns about the crossmember, as I do not have welding ability. There is a stock (for now!) 302 in the engine room.
I am in Baltimore.
Thanks for looking in, and I look forward to future F(100)raternity.

Cheers
George

RR4E 10-19-2004 10:54 PM

Try finding an early to mid 70's t-18. The truck version of the same trans had a bit different gearing, but the 'stang tranny's were a nice close ration, short throw gearbox. You could also look at getting a Richmond transmission in either 5 or 6 speed with your choice of gear ratio's and combinations.

Georgiepoo 10-19-2004 11:02 PM

One very important thing to keep in mind that I didn't mention is, I would like to use genuine, stock Ford parts always. In a perfect world (you know, the one where we all have $87,000,000 in the bank), I would buy myself a pricey-ass tranny. (I would still keep this truck, too!)
Thanks RR

RR4E 10-19-2004 11:05 PM

Then go for the early to mid 70's Mustang T-18. One thing you'll find with standard transmissions, is that the big 3 all used the same ones, in different years.

Georgiepoo 10-21-2004 10:01 AM

There's a T-18 on eBay right now, but the auction says that it's for a Jeep. Would this work? Would the tailpiece from my existing 3 speed work? I know I'm going to have to get the right clutch parts, but are the splines going to hook up? Is this just The Same T-18? Jeep kinda used whatever parts from whatever manufacturer as the years went by, so I would guess this trans would work. Anybody have an idea?

Raining in Baltimore.
Geo

turbo2256 10-21-2004 10:59 AM

5 speed out of a newer ford 351 or 302 should work with out too many issues

Rob79 10-22-2004 09:51 PM

I put a t-5 in a 1977, only modification was to use an adaptor plate for $150.00 from a mustang place. It's what they are using to put OD in 60 model stangs. The plate is about a 1/2 thick and bolts to the back of the bellhousing. I did not even have to modify the crossmember. It's been in there for 20,000 miles, with the majority of the time pullin a 14 foot enclosed trailer all over the eastern seaboard.