Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   BB temp (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/289191-bb-temp.html)

FORD60 09-29-2004 07:31 PM

BB temp

Hi ,ive just installed a different motor in my bronco, the motor is a 78 model 460 ,the motor was from a salvage yard ,i bought it a year ago,put it on the stand took the heads off ,put new valve stem seals in it ,(new head gaskets),new oil pump,water pump,and a double roller timing chain and gears,,,anyways i dropped her in and hooked her up and she runs strong! ,,but she likes to heat up (more than my likings),,oh yea ,new 4 core rad also,,this has been since this previous sunday,since then ive put a new 180 thermostat in ,and a new temp sensor ,,still running warm,,if i put the head gaskets on wrong like ive read in another post ,,wouldnt this thing heat up to a boil over point?,,and also the water pump is a stock replacement, anyone have any ideas? sorry about the long post ,thanks in advance,new guy:)

monsterbaby 09-29-2004 07:49 PM

what is your idea of too hot? also did you happen to drill a small hole in your thermostat to allow air to escape, sometimes you can get a air pocket, and not allow the thermostat to open, do you have a shroud on your fan, are you sure they gave you the right water pump, and not a reverse rotation for serpentine belt apps, and what is your timing set at to much can cause them to heat up some.
that will be a start then maybe we can narrow it down some, and help you get this thing running great hopefully it's one of the simple ones I listed, and not something like the head gaskets or other serious issues.

FORD60 09-30-2004 07:52 PM

bb temp

i never heard of drilling a hole in the thermostat,,where do you drill it at? how big of a hole?,the shroud is on ,timing is in ,i did pull the rad cap and noticed very little coolant movement idling or on the throttle , is there a web site that i can run the part number off the water pump,to see if it is the wrong one?the pump is an ATF prt # 31237,,i hope this is the problem ,on the dummy guage the temp rises between the a and l on normal,,not enough to boil over but enough to wonder whats going on,,thanks alot for the help,tom

monsterbaby 10-01-2004 12:52 AM

I drill an 1/8" hole in the outer flange, this allows for air to escape without allowing to much coolant through when it's cold, and for the water pump I am not sure were to tell you to find out about that part number but even though it's a pain I think I would pull the pump back off and check it physically I have actually seen where the rebuilt units had the impeller loose so that it would spin on the shaft, and at the same time look at another pump for your engine, and see if they look the same (ie impeller blades pointed the same direction) I have seen the parts sometimes get put into the wrong boxes so not even necessarily the parts stores fault, but I would have them check again to make sure it's the correct part number for your application again just in case