Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   hey guys whats up? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/282346-hey-guys-whats-up.html)

Bewbs 09-12-2004 06:24 PM

hey guys whats up?

i just bought an '02 f150 xl 4x4 with 33k miles on it, where would be a good place to pick up an air intake system and chip in oklahoma city?

phillipSVT 09-12-2004 07:14 PM

Powerhouse Performance or HP racing would have something. I have a K&N intake and it works good. I also have a Superchips Micro Tuner and it works great. The nice thing about the tuner as you have the options of what fuel you want to run where a chip you only get one (unless its a flip chip) The tuner also allows you to change shift firmness and shift levels and make corrections for differnt tire and gear sizes. Oh, and you have the option of 87 octane performance, 91 octane towing, and 91 octane max performance. Superchips also has a neat new programmer that you can install a custom tune and still change differnt things.

Another cool mod is a Factory Tech Valve Body (FTVB) it really firms up shifts and makes the truck fun to drive. :D

Congrats on the truck :-X22

FTE Ken 09-12-2004 07:30 PM

MotorHaven, the primary sponsor of this site, is one of the highest volume Diablo and Superchips dealers in the country. They can have one overnight to you (no shipping charge). They handle Superchips Custom tuners and chips as well and has been doing Diablo custom tunes for years (first programmer hardware serial number was #4!). Superchips Custom is not Superchips. They are a completely different company, licensed by Superchips to use the name and they also buy the hardware from Superchips.

Go here: www.motorhaven.com --- lots of experience with trucks like yours (and the Lightning).

Bewbs 09-12-2004 07:46 PM

cool thanks!

Bewbs 09-29-2004 05:19 PM

Hey phil maybe at the next f4 meet you can show me how your tuner dealie works im interested in getting one.

phillipSVT 09-29-2004 05:30 PM

yea no problem. Its simple to use and works good. I've got mine set on the 87 octane and dont notice as big a difference as I did with the 91 octane. I figured though that with basically in town driving and long highway drives with the fuel prices now the 87 is okay for a while. If the 91 gets cheaper and winter comes I'll prolly go back to the 91 octane tune.

Send me an email

:-X22

Bewbs 09-29-2004 05:40 PM

did you notice any differences in shifting running on 87 performance?

phillipSVT 09-29-2004 05:55 PM

yes, with the tuner you can change for every shift the 1) shift firmness and 2) shift point. So, the shifts are not associated with the octane level, its in a totally differnt part of the setup.

So I have the 1-2 shift around 5400rpm and at the superchips firmness (which is firmer than stock) The 2-3 shift is about the same rpm and firmness and the 3-4 shifts at like 5600 and isn't as firm.

BUT, I do have a valve body, so the shifts are already HARD. It will chirp into 2nd on concrete and other pavement it just slides the back end of the truck a bit. (and thats with 295 Goodyear F1's) :D

fordborn 09-30-2004 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by phillipSVT
yea no problem. Its simple to use and works good. I've got mine set on the 87 octane and dont notice as big a difference as I did with the 91 octane. I figured though that with basically in town driving and long highway drives with the fuel prices now the 87 is okay for a while. If the 91 gets cheaper and winter comes I'll prolly go back to the 91 octane tune.

Send me an email

:-X22

Did you notice any difference in fuel mileage? I did with my tuner (which by the way I agree is very simple to use and has good features) and I figured that with the mileage increase vs the fuel price difference that in a per mile cost it was actually cheaper to run the 91 octane. That was based on a 2.10 cost for 91.

phillipSVT 09-30-2004 02:44 PM

well, i'm on the gas a lot sometimes and I think the Gas Milage stayed about the same. I havn't really gotten a great chance to test the milage out on the highway. My 4.6 averages around 15-18. 87 was 1.85 a few day's ago, so if 91 comes back down to like 189 sometime I'll prolly switch over.

Oh, i'll post a vid of my rear tire on the shifts soon.